Romance : What do you think of Looking for Mr. Goodbar (1977).

What do you think of Looking for Mr. Goodbar (1977).

I just saw it and have mixed feelings about the movie as it has pros and cons, but what do you think?

I feel that the movie oversold it's premise perhaps, saying that this woman got murdered because she lived a dangerous life, but I don't think she lived that dangerously though.

She chose to have naughty sex, with two strangers, and one of them murdered her

But I feel that they were trying to say that she took too many risks which is why it happened, when I didn't think the risks were so bad to call for that, if that makes sense?

I also felt that there are unnecessary subplots, particularly involving the two main dangerous men, and they get into their backgrounds, which just seemed unnecessary really.

But what do you think?

Re: What do you think of Looking for Mr. Goodbar (1977).

i thought she was searching for chocolate?

I am Anna. I am Google.

I think Richard Brooks is one of the most underrated directors, but this movie sucked. It's just debauchery, sleazy, decadent, with no other message or redeeming quality. Brooks' career went down the tubes after this one.

https://jimmorrison.freeforums.net/
https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List

The only Brooks movies I've seen are In Cold Blood and Blackboard Jungle. Blackboard Jungle was good and In Cold Blood is one of my most favorite movies of all time. But Looking for Mr. Goodbar is not in the same league as that one.

You are lucky - there's some GREAT movies left for you to see of his..

"Elmer Gantry" - best movie about religion, fine cast.

"The Professionals" - one of the best westerns ever; philosophical without being pedantic, with an even BETTER cast.

"The Happy Ending" - one of the best movies on depression, modern life, but this one fortunately is on YouTube (maybe the others are as well?)

"Cat On A Hot Tin Roof" is also good, but not as great as the previous ones, or "In Cold Blood", which is a hell of a movie.

https://jimmorrison.freeforums.net/
https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List

Mmmm.. Mr Goodbar is one of my favs. I bought a 10 pack of minis today for only $1.99.

🌺🌸🌺🌸

It's based on a true story, so what happened wasn't even a shock to the audiences when it was released…they knew what the outcome was, but not which person would be the one, so it sort of makes you guess which guy was Mr. Wrong.

I thought is was well made and acted - it's Diane Keaton's best performance, IMO, and she should've been nominated for that over the iconic Annie Hall, yet it was too dark of a subject matter for Oscar members.

I think it captures that era quite well.
Showing Keaton's double life, her relationship with her family as well as her failed relationships with the men in her life and how she ended up in such situation.

SNL even had a comedy skit with Gilda Radner playing a young girl playing with Barbie dolls and acting out the sex and outcome. Probably not in the best of taste.

The only thing I think can be coitized about the film is the way it depicts a bi-homosexual male murderer, which can be taken in a homophobic context if you get nitpicky about it being made pre-politically correct days
Otherwise, the dark theme is justifiable.

The ending is more cold than shocking, as it builds up to that moment without any closure yet it's intent is understandable.

I don't think it's preaching about her lifestyle though…it shows that there are consequences to it without blaming it on her choices.

It was filmed during the sexual revolution, and that plays a big part in why the film comes off as sleazy.

It's not a film for everyone, but it makes for an interesting character study.

Too Hot To Handle…irl

I think discussions about relationships are stupid and basically unresolvable. Once a relationship is broken there really is no repairing it. That's life and that's a fact of life. End of

thought is was well made and acted - it's Diane Keaton's best performance, IMO, and she should've been nominated for that over the iconic Annie Hall, yet it was too dark of a subject matter for Oscar members.

Yes, Keaton is the main reason to watch this dark and bleak sensational tale. She would have largely won her Oscar for being in a well received and loved Allen romantic comedy and also her depressing but terrific unnominated turn as Theresa here.

The film is very much a product of its time and social mores and conditionings, yet I don't think the film is at all misogynistic or homophobic. Troubled people exist in this world and they get murdered as well. Theresa was looking for men and sex to fulfil her and make her feel whole. An entrapment that so many today still get caught up in.

Its been a while since I have seen it and would have to view again to get a new perspective on it. I have the book at home but haven't read.

Norman! What did you put in my tea?

👍

Here's a trailer that recently surfaced -

The New Years Eve scene -

and you can download the entire film here:

https://tezfiles.com/file/0c4f40f7d44e3/Looking.for.Mr.Goodbar.1977.mkv

Too Hot To Handle…irl

I thought Keaton was excellent in LFMG. It was the flip side of her sunny Annie Hall persona. Danny Peary said she should have been nominated for both roles. Of course, we both know who SHOULD have won that year. "They call 'em love apples, but I don't em!"

Anyway, I like the movie very much. I can appreciate all of its elements. I love the mid-70s singles bar sleaziness. Tragic ending aside, it makes me wish I had been born 20 years earlier. The main character is complex and thought-provoking. I get it. Richard Gere was kind of annoying, but Tom Berenger was so handsome and sexy. Doing amyl nitrate under the disco ball in faded blue jeans… And his character's pathology seemed quite realistic. When his character became tormented about not being able to perform in bed and her response was to laugh at him, I knew she was a goner.

Also, back in 1977, LFMG is the first movie trailer I have a memory of. Even then, at the age of seven, the disturbing, dark, sexual vibe was compelling to me. I am sure Thelma Houston's seminal "Don't Leave Me This Way" would have had something to do with this.

I read the book many years ago over the course of a two day sub teaching assignment. lol

Hi! I read the book too and liked the movie. It was scary how she was murdered and how we take chances when we bring a stranger home with us

Tom Berringer did a good job

If we take the time to see with the heart and not with the mind, we shall see that we are surrounded completely by angels ~ Carlos Santana

It was scary how she was murdered and how we take chances when we bring a stranger home with us

While it may have appeared sensational way to end the film, I'm not sure if this happens in the book, it was also like a sledgehammered caution that was being brought home for this very reason you have mentioned Ms. Cheeky.

I read the book but it was back in the 70s

The murder took place in the book, though, since it was based on the story of a woman (Roseann Quinn) who was murdered in 1973

If we take the time to see with the heart and not with the mind, we shall see that we are surrounded completely by angels ~ Carlos Santana

Poor Theresa! She was a kind lady, she just couldn't seem to find her niche with men. And then she ends up with someone that sealed her fate.

Yes, she was lonely

She was a….:

I recall standing outside the cinema that was screening it and being compelled by the imagery on the poster and lobby cards. How I miss the old lobby cards. I was of course way too young and it was R18 in NZ.

The cinema it was screening at was likely screening kids flicks, usually Disney at the Century during holidays, Pete's Dragon I think, and had Goodbar on in the evening for adults. Coming to think of it, the same cinema had In Praise Of Older Women with Berenger on in the evening one time and Disney film Candleshoe I think, during the day. Berenger was a real cutie pie.

I am hard pressed to decide whether Keaton or Duvall deserved my alternate Oscar for 77'. I got to see Goodbar on vhs in the mid 80's. I didn't get to see 3 Women until 2009.

I thought Keaton was excellent in both movies, but, for me, Shelly Duvall as Millie "No, I'm American" Lammoreaux is one for the ages. My second favorite performance of all time, only bettered by her co-star's spooky-sad incarnation from 1976.

Geewizzz, you have spoken my thoughts on MG fully. I don't think it oversold anything and it was indeed a story about a unique time. Many people had double lives during those years. Bar hopping and such was a way of life and the film depicted the smoke-filled environment perfectly.

You dummy.

👍

Too Hot To Handle…irl

It was alright. It was one of my favorite performances from Diane Keaton.

Oh okay. I haven no problem with the sexual material or the violence I just felt that the movie kind of oversold it's point that just because a woman takes home a few strangers, doesn't she is putting herself in danger for the one in a million chances this would happen, unless I am wrong?

Her odds for ending up getting killed by a drugged up psycho were much greater than 1 in a million. That's just reality. She was too drunk to be a good judge of the men she brought home.

Very depressing.

😺 Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 🐱

Somewhat funny review, though I don't agree with everything this guy says about the film -

2 other perspectives, the guy read the book beforehand and the girl watched the film without knowing much about it before watching it -

Too Hot To Handle…irl

There is also a sequel to it -

Too Hot To Handle…irl