The Watercooler : My Hamster Thread

Re: My Hamster Thread

While she hopes to escape, I give her food, sometimes. My mom said my younger girl cousin in Indonesia only woke up to KFC though now studied Nutrition and I think moved to South Korea. Her mom is my mom's sister, and her dad is Indonesian.

Floridian
BlogSpot

Food is always a good incentive for sticking around! Your cousin must have really loved KFC.

Yea, but I kinda like Popeye's better, now, though they removed my favorite dish. After all, I lived there as a teenager. My favorite dish was shrimp po'boy. I can get it at Tibby's, a New Orleans restaurant here we ate at when my dad's dad's niece visited, whose side, his dad's, we aren't really in communication with. He happened to meet her a little as a child, I think one visit. Not sure who else my family has.

Floridian
BlogSpot

Bedtime for me now. Goodnight Christina. 😴

Sweet dreams! Friend of Squeaky.

Floridian
BlogSpot

Remember that frail, sweet hamster? She cares so much about things, she seemed taken aback maybe one eye is bulging because she is trying to see and went blind in it. I called the vet immediately and am waiting to hear back.

Floridian
BlogSpot

I think my hamster said hi to NZer. She very quickly waved one paw!

Also, I am gonna make my own habitat for her, maybe paying get the stuff to make it over a few months or with if we get a stimulus check, which I think we will. It will be maybe 4 almost square clear plastic boxes stacked up. I'll use a hot knife for the details, like the doors and I guess holes to let her breathe without the risk of bugs coming in, like the cage I have for her now. Also, I will attach an external wheel so she doesn't fall out like my last hamster did in wheels that weren't as enclosed. This one dips lower so she doesn't fly into the opening back into the cage. I'm excited and hope to make it themed well. Also, this way, I can probably bring it easier into when/if I go to a group home. Right now, I connected cages from side to side. I was gonna make more room in my room now, and this will be an added bonus. I want it nicer and to have places for other things, like art and my flute.

Floridian
BlogSpot

How is your hamster's eye? You were waiting to hear from the vet in your last post, which I missed because I was asleep.
I'm waving my paw at her, and hope she's feeling better.

When I last saw her, it seemed better. I don't know why she was staring up at her water bottle with one eye looking big and popping out. She knows I squeeze water on her and looked like she wanted an eye drops, so I did it, maybe not the best idea. The vet didn't return my call like said. I had looked up what was wrong, and one reason was a traumatic experience … or an infection. I don't know how healthy she was being stored at the pet store with one other hamster, neither. Maybe, moving out to a home is like a pet animal's "holistic solution."

She seems to feel okay. Thanks for waving at her. In general, she got plump after leaving the pet store and falling on the floor. That must be a good thing. She does run, as in actually running, around the cages. She's quite fast even though she's not a teeny weeny robo hamster.

Floridian
BlogSpot

You'll have fun making her a new environment to enjoy, and you can design it to fit her personal hamster preferences! Cool.

The barrier was I'm asking Home Depot how to nail something together and lock it in place and cap off the sharp part, which should stick out rather than in the cage, too.

Also, I might have to buy 3 hamster cages to get the door off to put on there, so like $120 there. I'm not even sure how secure the door closes as it's on the top of the cage it come with.

I watched some YouTube videos of people making the plastic hamster cages. Usually, people with money get a tank. I shopped around, too, found some wooden ones 2 stories high but with like the ladder thing in the way or something that made it not have enough space.

The purpose of having the doors is so I can reach in and clean if she poos or something or rearrange furniture and toys. This'll be fun, more room. I think it is more secure if I put it on the floor rather than try some sort of small table.

I look forward to putting some 2-sided decals on it probably. It always makes a room cozy. We had flowers on our carpet when we lived in the oldest continuing city in the US in Northeastern Florida. There was a huge mirror on one wall. The house was almost 100 years old. It was so cozy and made us so happy. Another idea is if I can somehow make the decals myself. This seems to be taking the place of doing art again yet and money. It's not too expensive save for the 3 hamster cages to use the door, if it's a secure door.

It'll also be fun to give her new toys and furniture. I'm kind of a minimalist in that arena. I don't want toys to sit there and her barely use them. I remember my 1st hamster and it peeves me when things aren't right there. I want her to use toys rather than it just be an obstruction. I wonder if I could make a maze out of the many paper towel rolls I saved up to play sword fighting with my grandma. I would have to use save materials to design it if I took that route. Right now I'm fresh out of ideas. It sounds annoying to make a maze like that. I like seeing her hop around and explore. There is a tiny maze type thing in there now that came with a cage.

Floridian
BlogSpot

I can see you've got a lot of ideas going on in your head! This project should keep you occupied for a fair while. Do hamsters play with toys? I've never owned one, so I don't know. No point in getting toys if she doesn't understand the concept of playing, I suppose.
I just googled 'toys for hamsters' and yes, they do like to play with toys.

Well, it's that time again Christina. It's dark, cold, rainy and windy here, so I'm going to tuck up in my cosy bed now. See you tomorrow.

I guess one toy that you would hope work is that it has more than one house to sleep in, but my old hamster took care of that and just slept in the loft on top. It was a boy and a big furry hamster, like this one.

I think sometimes it would react but sometimes just slept maybe. I had fun picking it up a lot. I can't pick up the one I have now yet, need gloves. I put the old one in a hamster ball, even around my younger brother's golden retriever, who I think got scared/antsy of it. The hamster I have now is actually for beginners, like the one I had before. They say to get a robo you need experience first. My hamster seems more emotional in some ways, but I am considering getting a robo after this, as I was originally if I got one. This one is just so sweet, though.

I don't know enough about hamsters and toys. This one plays more than the big furry one I had. Sometimes she goes through the little maze. When I first got her, she played with the carrot with stuff in it that flosses their teeth. She seems to like big toys she can crawl on, like when I had the inner wheel and not just the external one.

I think she knows one word now, "food." When I say it, I think she this time went over to her bowl in the other cage with new food. Like, she reacts a certain way or looks to the other cage, I think. I like watching animals eat and drink. She sits there and clutches her food, finally not distracted by my presence.

That's cool it's so unique there in the weather, I suppose you're quite used to it now. I don't get that cozy feeling much anymore, think we don't get that kind of weather movement where I've lived lately, not as a little kid. I'm glad it still happens somewhere in the world.

Floridian
BlogSpot

a few days after I put nail filers in her wheel

Her nails were probably longer than her fingers before. I'm not exactly sure how they're doing now but are shorter. Also, she just filled the wheel with bedding!

Untitled by Christina Barrett, on Flickr

Floridian
BlogSpot

I was considering mating my hamster getting these 2, would mate with one probably or maybe 2 who knows. They are from Canada. I'm waiting to see if they ship to here.

Of course, I need to set up 2 cages, want to change and make my own. It's not too expensive, 2 big plastic bins and chicken wire. I watched YouTube videos on this. If I move to a group home and keep any of the hamsters, I'll need to make a stacking cage. I hope to sell the babies, here at Pet Finder, as pet stores do not take them. I'll need at least 2 cages here to do this. It's very rewarding, like gardening.

My hamster looks pretty good and this looks like a nice company, so I guess if I had to sell her I might have an easy time, you know if I move into a group home that does not allow small pets and some allow dogs and cats I read.

https://www.petfinder.com/small-furry/cashew-sesame-46851978/on/cambridge/rabbit-rescue-inc-on79/

Floridian
BlogSpot

I caught my hamster looking at me naked facing it from with my clothes shelf. It was just sitting there staring kinda happy I thought. I don't see why because I'm not a hamster.

Floridian
BlogSpot

I wonder what your hamster is really thinking when she looks at you. You're the most important thing in her life and she depends on you for everything.

I wonder. I saw her looking at me, sitting still, like she was having an experience when I got up in bed and maybe turned my cell phone light on.

Sometimes she seems like a mentor and others she's like a 3 year old. It's easy to sense her as a female. She is going through life's little mysteries. I hope I can breed her, not sure if she's fully grown. It didn't say her age I think.

I know, she is so thankful of all the little things. She actually seems like she's expressing herself like a human. She's just like a normal living thing, like a person who can reason and separate thoughts and put ideas together etc. Like, if something just happened or I think something, she does something that shows she knows. I don't remember what it was, but I know she likes to put her paw on the food bowl and kinda see me when she does it. Sometimes, I think she is reincarnating me as her baby hamster!

Yes, she depends on me. Advertised on YouTube is how to make a cage on a budget. People with money or time get glass cages or make cages elaborately maybe like with more than one compartment etc. and with levels or things like out of popsicle sticks, which I don't have popsicle sticks. So, I might get a big plastic bin and put a few huts in there and things to play on, like a slide. I do have lots of towel rolls I wanted to sword fight with my grandma with, if I wanted to do that. I remember my 1st hamster, such lazy things. You really have to set them up.

Floridian
BlogSpot

Please do not breed her.

It’s possible for animals to be attracted to humans, or even gay for humans.

I don’t like myself, you know. I love myself, of course. I'm devoted to myself till my dying day. But I don't like myself.

I was able to tame her and picked her up. I just went gradually and started trying.

Floridian
BlogSpot

Floridian
BlogSpot

So tiny and cute

If we take the time to see with the heart and not with the mind, we shall see that we are surrounded completely by angels ~ Carlos Santana

Happy Happy Ham-ster!

Floridian
BlogSpot

I love that video! She's very active isn't she! It's very cool that she lets you pick her up now.

Yea.

Floridian
BlogSpot

The other night, I saw her stand up and fall backwards, maybe trying to get out by sniffing up.

Last night, she did that many times in a row when I was playing with her, like 3 or 4 or 5.

A playing pet!

I want to make a bin cage, as most hamster aficionados seem to do. You take a big clear plastic bin and cut a hole at the top and cover it with mesh. You fill it with bedding and things. You have to make sure to get a certain large size. You can do levels with multiple bins, though maybe expensive to get a door from another cage to bolt on. You can construct levels in it, too. I might need to sell her if I have to move to a group home because my dad is dying, though some allow even dogs and cats. Still, it's hard to find one that answers or has space, so I might have to give her away. I was a bit irresponsible and confused, yet again, when I got her. I kinda didn't wanna give her back because she fell in my room. People going to a pet store to get a fresh hamster might not appreciate it. There's a place called Pet Finder that helps you give your hamster away or sell it.

Floridian
BlogSpot

Thanks for the update on your hamster! I hope you don't have to give her away, because that would be sad for both of you.

Yes. I wish she had more friends or that I will be able to mate her. I'd need 2 bin cages, which I could probably do. Maybe, people would be eager to buy the babies. I've been seeing things with her, probably the smartest animal I've seen… I guess all cats want is sex, and dogs zone out, compared to rodents like this hamster. I don't really know what a robo dwarf hamster would be like compared to her, a winter white dwarf hamster. I remember I was trying to recommend one for you if you ended up getting one for whatever reason. I originally was gonna get the robo. She was too cute, though. I liked her pink eyes and fair features.

Floridian
BlogSpot

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

my female bitch

Floridian
BlogSpot

Be nice to her. She's a sweet little thing. Give her love.

Fasten Your Seatbelts….
It's Going To Be A Bumpy Night!

I try to pick her up, but usually it's hard. She usually softly bites my finger.

Floridian
BlogSpot

So cute.

Fasten Your Seatbelts….
It's Going To Be A Bumpy Night!

Floridian
BlogSpot

Lmao it is

Donna: “Anyway, I think Gameboy should ban you and that faggotron Orson. Now I'm going g back to watching movies about zombies again.”

I love her twitchy little nose! She's very cute.

That's a new feature! I like how her body spreads out across the bowl, like before. I'm glad she's still a sweet female.

Floridian
BlogSpot

*bitchy little nose

Donna: “Anyway, I think Gameboy should ban you and that faggotron Orson. Now I'm going g back to watching movies about zombies again.”

Floridian
BlogSpot

I was able to pick her up, so my aunt could pet her. I put her down when it seemed she was opening her mouth maybe wide.

Floridian
BlogSpot

When I read the title of the OP I thought of only one thing. That this was gonna be about the escape this poor creature made from Gameboy 's anal cavity.

Floridian
BlogSpot

Lol

She grew! She's too fat to fit well through the transport tubes. So, I reduced the cage to a smaller size. She thinks it's interesting. I do want to make her one of those bin cages. I don't want to find her stuck one day when I wake up. I saw her squeezing and she might be too big by tomorrow.

Floridian
BlogSpot

It would be sad if she got stuck and couldn't move. You might have trouble getting her out of it. I hope she'll be alright until you sort something out that's more comfortable for her.

Yes, I took all those small tubes out.

I was worried about the smaller setup.

I'm not sure if I should spend September's free $150-$200 to get a new keyboard, violin strings, or to get her a bigger cage. If I get a stimulus check, I can do all 3. Actually, I may need it for schoolbooks. Well, technically stores sell cages this small, though hamster experts don't recommend it.

Floridian
BlogSpot

That's good news! You really look after her well. 🐹

😁 Thanks! Actually, I just fixed the cage so it has all the domes but not the tiny tunnels! She did look upset at the new environment when I expanded it.

Floridian
BlogSpot