Music General : Hüsker Dü or The Replacements?

Hüsker Dü or The Replacements?

Which band do you prefer?

We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school

Re: Hüsker Dü or The Replacements?

The 'Mats. I dig Husker Du but they get a little samey. They don't have a single song as memorable as Bastards of Young, I Will Dare, Alex Chilton, etc.

---
Tell me more!

The 'Mats. I dig Husker Du but they get a little samey. They don't have a single song as memorable as Bastards of Young, I Will Dare, Alex Chilton, etc.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

------------------
Trumpocalypse Now: "Make America white again."

i agree

We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school

Husker Du

Husker Du, but they're both great. I have no real reason except I simply like Husker more.

Husker Dü. Never really "got" The Replacements. Kinda' average/dull. The stuff post-Bob Stinson gets even more dishwater. The Mats couldn't have written "Diane" or "Standing by the Sea".

Husker Du all the way.

Fighting the frizzies, at 11.

I not particularly a fan of either, but i'll give it to the Du coz they invented "Ultracore".

You can feel the sunshine fading

The Replacements. Better songs, better spirit. My favorite band and at their peak, they were the greatest American band of all time.

Husker Du is not far behind that though and had qualities in some ways that were more impressive (musical ambition and daring).

The fact that we got those 2 bands, plus REM (great through Reckoning imo) and Mission of Burma in their original incarnation in the same era is basically unbelievable.

The Hüskers, no competition.

You got the wrong guy, mang. I don't come off no banana boat.

I don't really like either, but I could imagine choosing to listen to Husker Du. I wouldn't want to ever sit through a Replacements album again.

Rusty chains and armoured pillows stuffed with silver pins

Two amazing and important bands who came from the same scene at roughly the same time, yet both so different. Overall I prefer The Replacements. They changed a lot over the decade or so they were together and I think every album and era was pretty great. I get why some might consider their early Punk material to be so-so and their later, more commercially appealing work to be a disappointment. However, for me it all worked, though I do wish 'Don't Tell a Soul' wasn't so over-produced.

As for Husker, I think their sound was more directly influential on Alternative Rock over the next decade, and beyond. I also enjoyed them from start to finish but I don't think their very early or very late work holds up as well for me as The Replacements. But from 'Metal Circus' through 'Candy Apple Grey' they were brilliant. Basically, I would take 'Sorry Ma' and 'Stink' over 'Land Speed Record' and 'Everything Falls Apart' and I would also take 'Don't Tell a Soul' and 'All Shook Down' over 'Warehouse'. But for those middle years it really just depends on the mood I'm in.

Look at that turtle go bro!

"As for Husker, I think their sound was more directly influential on Alternative Rock over the next decade, and beyond."

I'd agree with that but I'd note that the Replacements have a weird influence across multiple genres that maybe people don't think of (Robert Christgau said he didn't find them influential at all and I was shocked):

Alt-country (Country & Westerberg as it is sometimes called - by me anyway )
Alternative Rock
Alternative Pop (bands who copied their later, slicker sound Gin Blossoms, Goo Goo Dolls)
New Garage
Modern Singer-Songwriter (since they were more overtly that)

Definitely the Replacements (even though they copied the Goo Goo Dolls😂)

Fun Fact of the Day: Debbie loves emoticons of cute animals and thinks IMDB needs to add some more. 🐨🐒🐣🐇🐭🐧🐬🐈🐕 🐎🐁🐖