Winona Ryder : SAGs and Stranger Things theory

SAGs and Stranger Things theory

I have a theory. I think the now infamous Harbour-Ryder speech was a pre-planned publicity stunt to create interest for the show and create some kind of "tension" between Ryder's character and Harbour's. In support, I should mention that the contents of the speech had been discussed among the cast before the awards show, and that there was already a dynamic developing between Harbour's character and Winona's. It will be interesting to see how the "relationship" between the two progress during Season Two. My guess is it will be some kind of love-hate relationship with the two going on opposite sides.

Re: SAGs and Stranger Things theory

I think you have something going there about tension between Joyce and Hopper during Season Two. However, I don't think that what happened during the SAG speech was a publicity stunt. First off, the show doesn't need any more publicity. It's already one of the most talked about shows and interest in it is already at fever pitch. Plus, whatever people might think about Harbour's speech, there's no doubt he meant it sincerely. I gotta believe that he's a little peeved at the way that Ryder undercut him the way she did but he's good-natured enough to brush it off.

I kind of agree that it wasn't entirely staged (though it would have been smart to vet that speech beforehand.). David Harbour has already publicly commented on Winona's reaction and although he is very complimentary, he may have felt about Winona's reaction the way she clearly felt about his speech. By now they presumably have talked face-to-face and I'm sure everything is cool between them.

Edit to above. I see Nicolo has already pointed out that the speech was discussed beforehand.

Funny thing about that. Initial reports simply stated that he had discussed the speech with the cast but later reporting provided a more detailed account, specifically that he discussed the speech and changes he had made to it the night before at a dinner with Cara Buono and the teens, presumably Dyer, Heaton, Keery, and maybe Purser. Although I can't imagine that he didn't inform the rest of the cast, at least perfunctorily, that it was going to be a political speech.

So the moment where Ryder looks quizzically at the paper in Barbour's hand might have been genuine confusion although everything else was a deliberate act on her part. It's still unclear whether she was just over-excited or if she was expressing her mocking disapproval of the speech.

After Meryl Streep's speech it doesn't seem like a big deal, plus many people are criticising Trump.

Was she just grandstanding then? Trying to draw attention to herself in a non-speaking way.

Frankly it makes me wonder whether she's still messing around with drugs or she's on strong medication that doesn't go well with alcohol.

Well, there was her rambling tribute to Ethan Hawke at the Independent Film Awards and she did look sorta out of it at the Golden Globes after party.

When I say drugs, I don't necessarily mean snorting coke but remember a while ago she took too much xanax on a flight and had to be rushed to hospital?

Yes, she suffers from anxiety.

Something like that. And yes, definitely not coke or anything like that. Perhaps something prescribed for anxiety.

she did look sorta out of it at the Golden Globes after party.

Any pics or videos of this?

The speech was a bizarre incomprehensible rant, and Winona captured the moment brilliantly with her expressions. People may not have understood a word of whatever it was Harbour was saying, but we understood Winona perfectly.

Well, he's hardly going to say she made a fool of herself or that he was pissed that she distracted people from his speech.

Haha, no, that would be career suicide for him. Real curious to know what their working relationship on the set is gonna be like. Drama!

Real curious to know what their working relationship on the set is gonna be like. Drama!

Nicolo says "hi"

He better appreciate it. Working with Winona is a privilege, not a right.

Working with Winona is a privilege, not a right.

That's a very important distinction there, maniac, thanks.

Re: working with Winona

" Working with Winona is a privilege, not a right."
We should tell that to the cashiers at Saks.

And while we're at it, we can tell her parole officer, the prosecuter, the D.A., the bailiff, the jury, the judge, the court clerk, the court administrator, the public relations representative for Saks, so many privileged people, the list goes on...

=)

I noticed you haven't commented on my wig posts. Any reason you ignore those?

uh-oh Wig. Careful what you ask for! Ha ha! 😂

I welcome him.

Re: Things one might find in a department store

She hasn't got hot wigs, has she?
No more Hollywood engineering!
She looks like she takes antidepwessants, but she acts depwessed anyway.

She might have a few.

I'm not surprised, frankly.
Farizzle
Blijf oefenen.

Why not?

Same reason I'm not surprised that she got caught again.
Windows 98
Bye bye, Dizz.

Use the time away from the internet, after IMDB closes its doors, to reflect on yourself as a person. Your entire life has revolved around making fun of and trying to recriminate someone who has never personally harmed you at all. Maybe the problem isn't Winona, maybe it's you. At any rate, the one true joy of the IMDB shutdown for me is that rats like you will have no more holes to hide in, or rocks to hide under and you will finally have to come out into the light. Enjoy the next few days, they are the last you will have as a troll.

Re: Winona

You're bonkers, Newbie.

I was talking to someone else.
Terrible engineers
I gots 98 problems but a subhuman ain't one.

Re: Winona

It doesn't matter, troll. You are a generic troll, much the same that you are a generic person, and when one addresses a generic troll, pretty much everything that can be applied to one, can be applied to all. You're done.

To say that she made a fool of herself would have been wildly inaccurate, so he definitely would not have said that. She might have made a bit of a fool of him, but he wasn't going to say that either.

She didn't make a fool of herself, far from it, but one wonders whether the adoration for her 'adorableness' is similar to the way one regards the slightly addled aunt of the family who does something adorably silly.

the adoration for her 'adorableness' is similar to the way one regards the slightly addled aunt of the family who does something adorably silly.

That's a good analogy.

Could it have been a misguided attempt to take Carrie Fisher's place? Or is this part of her reinvention into a Ruth Gordon-esque character actress?

I could totally see her as Ruth Gordon! Of course, much younger and prettier. ;)

She mentioned Ruth Gordon on Jimmy Fallon, I believe.

There ya go! :D

I remember in 2000, Winona was drunk at the Golden Globes, drowning her sorrows for not getting a nom for "Girl, Interrupted".

Was she really? That would have been something!

Yes. Everytime the camera cut to Matt Damon(her bf at the time), she would be drinking something and acting goofy. She presented later that evening, and seemed loopy.

I don't think it's on youtube.

I sort of doubt anyone attends the Golden Globes stone sober. Jrsx mentioned that it's mostly a party. I imagine drinks in the limo. Muster a straight face on the red carpet, followed by drinks, followed by the after parties with more drinks. Kind of sounds like a fun time.