Books : The Wisdom of Insecurity. Alan W Watts.

The Wisdom of Insecurity. Alan W Watts.

This book keeps me sane, when I get bogged down in the craziness of life.
Basically, the premise is; There is absolutely nothing in life that is secure. Everything can be taken away from you in the twinkling of an eye.
Get your head around that. Accept it. Embrace the insecurity of living. If you do it right, you will feel all the heaviness of everyday living evaporating, and suddenly you are free.. In not hanging on to your bonds of security, everything is open and available to you.
Easier said than done, most of the time. But I have felt for a few moments, the freedom of insecurity, and it is wonderful.

“To put is still more plainly: the desire for security and the feeling of insecurity are the same thing. To hold your breath is to lose your breath. A society based on the quest for security is nothing but a breath-retention contest in which everyone is as taut as a drum and as purple as a beet.”
― Alan W. Watts, The Wisdom of Insecurity: A Message for an Age of Anxiety

Re: The Wisdom of Insecurity. Alan W Watts.

"But you cannot understand life and its mysteries as long as you try to grasp it. Indeed, you cannot grasp it, just as you cannot walk off with a river in a bucket. If you try to capture running water in a bucket, it is clear that you do not understand it and that you will always be disappointed, for in the bucket the water does not run. To “have” running water you must let go of it and let it run.”
― Alan W. Watts, The Wisdom of Insecurity

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Woah! You really did think about it! Don't know if I go along with the idea that a god will emerge from one of us (Ben thinks it's him). In fact your ideas seem a bit of a rip off of The Matrix! Good to see your ego is alive and well today!! LOL.
Do agree about the cyclic universes,- totally logical.
Here's a theory - What if the whole of creation from start to finish, was on some cosmic DVD. It's all there, in one place and one piece - until it begins to play, - then TIME appears, and all the other stuff we see as linear, but it ain't really.

I don't know about god. Think god is just the universe. The life in every atom.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Fuck Ben. I think you hit the nail on the head. We were all god, and still are.

Crab nebula

Security is much nicer than insecurity.

I don't think you quite got the gist of the whole concept.
Whatever your comfortable idea of security is, it can all disappear in the blink of an eye.
Coming to terms with that, accepting it completely, is the ONLY security.

I understood what you meant. I think every thing is insecure in this world- absolutely! It can all disappear in a blink, health, home, job, loved ones, romance. Only, as a Christian I know that all these temporal things are insecure. I have perfect security about where my soul is going after death. I do not wish to offend you, but wanted to state my belief in why (I suppose I would call it, THE security trumps all of the physical world's insecurities).

I hope, sincerely, that I have not offended. I realize Christians are rather passionate about our beliefs, and can seem bullying.

You and I are in complete agreement. It's just that our idea of god is different. Yours is the Christian God. Mine is the universal consciousness. I too believe in an afterlife, but in my belief, it is for everybody, and not just the chosen few. It doesn't depend on anything. It just IS.

I am glad I did not offend you with my comment. Thanks for being gracious in your reply.

We should all just be a little kinder to each other. It would make life so much happier.

Yes, I know. I have struggled with being unkind and hurting people I love the most. It is something I definitely need to work on in my life!

Yes!