Red Dawn : Red Dawn (1984)

Red Dawn (1984)

Since we've been talking about originals and remakes, I've yet to see the remake, but I thoroughly enjoyed this.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." ~ Alice in Wonderland

Re: Red Dawn (1984)

If you can believe high schoolers can become guerrillas, it's pretty realistic.

It worked for Power Rangers…

~~/o/

Fun action film-cum-ridiculous Cold War propaganda. I was rooting for the Russians.

Enjoyable, but incredibly silly.

Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't! 😸

👍 👍

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." ~ Alice in Wonderland

Big Bill Smith looking like Hitler jacked up on roids and speaking in fluent subtitled Russian for the win.

You've seen Guy Standeven in something since the man was in everything.

Da!

I liked it so much I have it on dvd! Swayze….

Swayze….man, he had it all, didn't he? Such a tragic loss, and it's one of those things where you look at this incredibly fit man, dying so young. Goes to show the ravages of cancer don't care who you are.

To be honest, my favourite movie with him will always be Road House, followed by Dirty Dancing, then Point Break. I loved the beauty in his physicality, such grace and dignity, such power of presence.

*sigh*

Yes, his death was surprising given he always looked to be in good health.

Edit:
Voice activation makes odd messages when not intended.

~~/o/

I am currently watching the film right now, at the 7 minute mark where soldiers of the Red Army are ransacking the school; one thing I would like to address if the rest of the movie does not give more context:

It would have made more sense as a foreign military force to encourage cooperation amongst the civilians to make their invasion less messy and reduce the chances of local retaliation. It's understandable that these Soviet attackers would see Americans as their sworn enemy, refusing to take prisoners under any circumstance.

I know this is a war movie, meaning anything is hypothetical and doesn't have to be reasonably realistic. Instead of feeling shocked by their lack of wartime restraint and conduct I felt taken out of the setting.

The filmmakers were probably trying to capture the feeling the Polish felt when the Third Reich declared war on Poland in 1939.

~~/o/

Having never seen this film before, I wonder if it will still give a strong impression as it originally did for a viewer in the 1980s compared to one watching it today.

~~/o/

Silly, but a lot of fun! Great timewaster.

I saw it not too long ago, maybe three years ago. I found the plot to be maybe a little ridiculous that such a thing could or would happen, and than a bunch of teenagers could solve the problem. So it felt kind cheesy as a result. It was okay, but not really good or anything.