The Godfather : Godfather is both a character study and fun action flick

Godfather is both a character study and fun action flick

If character studies are your thing, you see Michael’s perfectly acted transformation.

If a typical fun guy movie is your thing, it has its share of explosions, shootings, fights.

It is both a good art film for film snobs and a fun entertaining one. It’s a great film unique in that it manages to appeal to the mainstream and the elite.

Re: Godfather is both a character study and fun action flick

Calling them the "elite" is a bit snobby. I do see it as more of a character study, though, and enjoy it for that. There are moments of action, but considering the runtime, they are few and far between. I wouldn't exactly call it an easy watch for people who are used to consistent action and shorter films. It was a chore the first time I saw it. But when I watched 2 and 3, and followed the character's journey further, I enjoyed it more and more. I consider them all to be equally great films, even the third one, which a lot of people don't like. I think it handles Michael's guilt well.

There was:

Car explosion, Apollonia’s death.
Michael kills McCluskey & Sollozzo shoutout, build up of suspense leading up to it.
Carlo beating his wife.
Sonny and Carlo fight; Sonny’s arc of his temper impetuousness getting the best of him. Michael being the polar opposite with his calmness, discipline, and planning.
Sonny’s death, shoutout.
Luco Brasi death.
Carlo choked.

On average every 10 minutes of screen time, is action of some sort.

Epic final climax, Moe Greene death & other mafia bosses intercut with Catholic baptism.

I prefer II myself, but I had more kill/fight/action scenes. Part II is an acquired taste.

Most overrated movie ever.

How? It has no faults. It’s a perfect film.

It's garbage.

It's very good