Monsters : Does anyone think that the King Kong remakes actually surpass the original?

Does anyone think that the King Kong remakes actually surpass the original?

I watched the original King Kong, and the 1976 and 2005 remakes, all in chronological order. Most people seem to think that the original is best with the 1976 remake being the least best, but I have to say, in many ways the original is the least best, and the 2005 one is the best.

The original is a classic, no doubt about it, but I find it be a very style over substance kind of story that's big on special effects, and low on character development. But that's what makes it a classic for it's time though was putting on such a big show.

But I feel the two remakes do flesh out the characters more, and does flesh out the relationship between Kong and the woman more, and the 2005 remake improves upon it even more, overall. However, the 1976 one has the most effective ending out of all of them probably.

So I may be a rare bread in thinking that the two remakes, surpass the original, unlike most movie remakes, but what do you think?

Re: Does anyone think that the King Kong remakes actually surpass the original?

I do not.

😺 Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 🐱

I bet it was really exciting to see this in the theater when it first came out? Plus you were a young boy at the time. It must have made a huge impression on you.

Yes I was, and yes it did! And it only cost $.25 to get into the cinema. And popcorn was only a nickel!

I like the big monster movies like Godzilla and Jurassic Park. I even watch the historical monster videos on YouTube, did before watched quite a few already. I also like horror and animation, what I usually see if I can go sometimes.

Chinese-Indonesian, Irish, German, Dutch, French Blog

ME TOO!

½ Spoon + ½ Fork + ½ Knife

:D

Chinese-Indonesian, Irish, German, Dutch, French Blog

½ Spoon + ½ Fork + ½ Knife

The 76 version with Jessica whatsherface was terrible. Ending was tacky. Kong was too big. Changing Kong’s trademark ESB climb to WTC was a bad move. And they built up the other characters too much. We don’t need to know them for the sake of this narrative. It’s a movie about a giant ape. 2005 was good. 1933 was best. And great effects for its time.

Oh okay, what about the ending was tacky of the 1976 one? Plus I thought it made sense to change it to the world trade center. The Empire State building was brand new at the time of the original, so wouldn't it make sense to use a newer building for a remake set in modern times?

Also the thing I liked about the world trade center setting is you get to see Kong jump from one building to the other to take cover, which I thought was cool.