Classic Film : What is the most recent classic film that you've watched?

What is the most recent classic film that you've watched?

I've been watching the Sherlock Holmes series of classic films all weekend. Now watching A Study in Scarlet, with Reginald Owen. Good stuff!

What's the most recent movie that you've watched?

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: What is the most recent classic film that you've watched?

Basil Rathbone will always be my favorite Holmes.👍

Casablanca. It never gets old.

You are so kind and nice!

I've never watched it! Every time I'd go put it on, something came up!

Really, really have to give it a watch!

Amen!

cheers.gif

😺 Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 🤨 Let's go, Brandon! 🤨 Try that in a small town.

Casablanca

I watched that again recently, after decades of watching it too many times to count (and I have friends in the business who tell me they do the same thing). It came on TV, and I started it, not planning to watch it, and then it was over, and I was still glued to the screen. I know all of it from memory – by shot, by performances, by dialogue – and still it never gets old. The very definition of a classic.

It's a masterpiece, in my opinion. To this day the Writers Guild of America still considers it to be the best American screenplay, which is interesting, given that it was being written and re-writen as they were filming it. But I think that added to its veracity, by way of the uncertainty and ambivalence the characters felt, not knowing who Ilsa was going to end up with in the end.

I LOVE this film!!

Comcast recently made the TCM channel (Turner Classic Movies) part of a premium sports package (?), for which they now charge subscribers another 10 bucks a month. I'm not willing to pony up extra money for it when cable is already too expensive as it is. So, currently I'm without TCM which I've had for years and years as part of my basic cable. I'm looking at other alternatives to finding classic films. I've found a number of free, full-length films on sites like YouTube, including many older films - and not just from Hollywood, either. There are some really good foreign films (most of them subtitled, but not all of them…).

One that I just finished watching was a Japanese film called Where Chimneys Are Seen (1953), directed by Heinosuke Gosho. Very good movie about people trying to survive in post-war Japan. I'm currently watching another film from the same director called Inn at Osaka (1954).

Anyway, there are a lot of free classic (even silent) movies out there to be found. You just have to know where to find them, I guess.

Thanks Zolotoy, Youtube definitely has a ton of great classic films, free for all to enjoy!

Found this obscure comedy short from 1931 today on YouTube, chock full of famous studio actors in cameo appearances. Check it out and enjoy!

Excellent!

It was fun watching the stars have fun. Thanks!

cheers.gif

😺 Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 🤨 Let's go, Brandon! 🤨 Try that in a small town.

I'm glad that you enjoyed it! It was really fun watching the stars cut loose!! 😀

Yes it was. Thanks again!

cheers.gif

Is Chinatown a classic or is it not old enough yet? I watched that recently. I'm looking for more films about "growth coalitions" dominating local politics. I can think of Who Framed Roger Rabbit and perhaps Once Upon a Time in the West and Johnny Guitar but those two don't quite fit.

Re: What is the MOST recent CLASSIC film that you've watched?…

Between Two Worlds (1944) which is a good REHASH of Outward Bound (1930) based on the 1923 play of the SAME title.

7/10.

"THAT'S SOME BAD SHIT, HARRY!". wink.gif

I watched Dog Day Afternoon after seeing it mentioned on this website and I loved it.

I like that movie too. Chris Sarandon was such a pretty boy back then

Beautiful couple

9n2nenfiar4sifrn.jpg?skj2io4l

If we take the time to see with the heart and not with the mind, we shall see that we are surrounded completely by angels ~ Carlos Santana

Yojimbo. Had never seen it before.

Talladega Knights

If we take the time to see with the heart and not with the mind, we shall see that we are surrounded completely by angels ~ Carlos Santana

The Maltese Falcon. I love this movie.

I watched The Strange Case of Doctor Rx (1942).

The CAR (1977)!

I just watched one classic film that I had not seen before, THE ROSE TATTOO, based upon the Tenessee Williams play, and I loved it! Don't know how it escaped me all these years. Anna Magnani, who won the Best Actress Oscar for it, is magnificent! Oh, my God, I miss writing like this. Those were the days.

rosetattoo1955_88659_1024x767_04152014030036.jpg

That's good? I noticed it up on the TCM site.

I watched "The Miniver Story" (1950) last night, which wasn't particularly good. Walter Pidgeon does his best to try to save it, but Greer Garson gives a lackluster performance. - 6

One of things I found strange about the movie was the older son, who is a fighter pilot, in "Mrs. Miniver" is totally dropped. According to a comment on IMDB:
The character of Vin Miniver is absent and not referred to in this film because Greer Garson and Richard Ney married after the filming of "Mrs. Miniver," then divorced before she made this sequel. It was at her request Ney's character be dropped from this film in every way.

This was pretty lame - it would have been better to just use a different actor.

This sort of reminded me of how Foyle's son, disappeared from Foyle's War series. Foyle's son was also a fighter pilot.

Another thing, in Foyle's War, they made a big jump to VE day thinking it was the last season of the series. Then a couple seasons were added, which had to take place after the war. I never felt the shows after the war were over were quite as interesting. In this movie they jump up to VE day and lose a lot of interest that the war would bring - no Nazis in the kitchen, no going to Dunkirk, no bombing raids… - thus the movie is pretty dull.

I wasn't a fan of The Miniver Story either. It couldn't hold a candle to Mrs. Miniver, one of my favorites.

And I've seen many Foyle's War episodes, but not enough to comment on your problems with it. Sounds strange, to say the least.

I don't have problems with Foyle's War. I really liked the show.
His son Andrew Foyle didn't appear after season 5.

Foyle's War

I really like the show, too. A lot. Just haven't been able to see all the seasons yet. Will, if I can.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

The Gunfighter (1950), an excellent western starring Gregory Peck.

👍

A Night to Remember (1955). I hadn't realized that it had been colorized. Not that great a job, IMO.

The Titanic sinks!

[center] [hr] [poll multiple] [s] [sic] [sub]2[/sub] [sup]th[/sup] [u]  

It NEVER is!

Pulp Fiction

My password is password

Rendezvous (1935):
Entertaining comedy/drama suspense film, with William Powell as a lieutenant assigned to crack a spy ring during World War I. Complications arise when he falls in love with Rosalind Russell. Well done, interesting in terms of the spying elements, and definitely worth a look for for fans of the cast.

Rendezvous is actually a 1935 movie. One gets a lot of WWI movies in the 1930's. I watched it recently and enjoyed it - 7

I've enjoyed watching a lot of those William Powell movies from the 1930s that they have been showing on TCM this month.

Yes, I meant to say 1935.

Just a typo. Will correct. And I agree with you about all the William Powell films of late. I love him in everything.

The Passion Of Joan Of Arc. Well aware of it's reputation, I enjoyed it and found it more powerful than I expected to.

La Passion de Jeanne D'Arc

Oh, Eddie, I'm so glad you watched this! In my opinion, it's one of the greatest films ever made. And Maria Falconetti's performance is astounding. She only made three films in her entire life, but she will be remembered forever for her role as Joan.

laurenbacall-bogieandbacall.gif

I liked the concept of a mobster holding a hotel hostage during a hurricane. So many new movies have used that hostage concept.

peter-lorre-film-noir.gif
The Man Who Knew Too Much