The Haunting of Julia : Better than book?

Better than book?

It would seem so. This is quite unusual for me. I haven't ever read the book, and the more I see on this board, I believe I want to keep it that way! This movie is just so good. When I look at the comments about the book and all of the changes that were made in the movie adaptation, I get the feeling that I haven't missed a thing. The book sounds like a mess. Perhaps one day I'll try it out. Books give one more background info. For that, I'm interested.

Has anyone here read it? I understand that in the book, Mark was Magnus's half brother. I thought I'd missed something while watching this film. I didn't. They couldn't have been even remotely related because Mark had no idea of who Magnus's sister was when she came in for the seance at Julia's house.

This movie leaves it open to the audience to decide what has really happened. I like that. I just wonder if the book does that as well, or does it wrap things up in a neat little package that explains everything?

Fasten Your Seatbelts….
It's Going To Be A Bumpy Night!

Re: Better than book?

To be honest, I wasn't very impressed by either. Straub is not one of my favorite horror writers. He confuses and somehow detracts from the horror that he tries to write.
The movie had some great moments, but when compared to a film like 'Don't Look Now', where the horror is so subtle and soul touching, it was pretty hohum. Just my opinion.

Have you read If You Could See Me Now?

No, but I just checked it out. Seems like a ghostly romance. Have you read it?

Sorry for the delayed reply. I read it many moons ago and really enjoyed it. It would make a good movie.

I really like Mia Farrow. I thought she was great in this.
I have had a hard time getting into other Straub books too. The only one I ever enjoyed was Ghost Story. The movie adaptation was done quite well too, in my opinion.

Being a horror fan, I will definitely check out Don't Look Now!

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

Don't Look Now is more of a psychological and psychic drama. Don't expect the usual 'horror' thingy or you might be disappointed. It's one of my favorite movies of all time.
I hope you like it. 😄

I just read the book and yeah, this is one of the rare instances in which the movie is actually better than the book.

The book is still pretty good and has plenty of creepy moments, but I was somewhat let down by the ending, which is not nearly as chilling as the movie's ending.

I'm actually very impressed by how much the movie improves on its source material, it's a perfect case study on how to adapt a novel in fact.

Having never read the book, what you say interests me.
This is one of my all time favorite Horror stories.
Much like The Innocents, we, the audience must decide on what really happened.

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

A lot of the book is pretty similar to the movie, up until the last chunk in which it veers off in a totally different direction with some pretty major changes to the story and a very different ending.

To give you an idea how different the ending is, well, the clown doll with the cymbals is not even in the book at all!

But as is usually the case with books there's a lot more information than a movie would have time go into, expanded backstories of the characters, how Julia and Magnus met etc, what I found most interesting is David Swift goes into more graphic, disturbing detail of what Olivia Rudge would get up to.

One major difference between book and movie is how it deals with what happens with Kate, in the movie the whole incident is simply revealed in the prologue, but in the book it's a bit of a mystery just what happened at the start, information is doled out, in fact the full truth of it isn't revealed until the very end!

I find the movie's approach of simply laying that all on the table at the start to be far more impactful.

There's also other restructuring like the fact that in the book, Julia talks to Olivia's mother first and then her friends afterward, the opposite of which happens in the movie and I find the movie's approach to also make more sense and be more impactful.

Overall the book is pretty good and well worth reading if you're fan of the movie, but I definitely like the movie way better.

I definitely want to read it. I do like more background info on the characters. Those things just aren't always provided in films. That brings on a question…
I had always assumed that Mark was a good friend to Julia. Perhaps an old boyfriend? A few years ago, someone posted something about him being a step brother to Magnus and his sister in the book.
In the film, he can't possibly be a stepbrother. On the night of the seance, Mark mistakes the sister for the medium. He didn't know Julia's sister-in -law.

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

Yes, Mark is Magnus and Lily's stepbrother in the book, but just a friend of Julia in the movie.

In the book Mark and Julia actually have sex at one point and things are pointing in a romantic direction, but well…. I can't say anymore without spoiling one of the big differences in the book.

Overall the character is another thing I like way better in the movie, I like their relationship better as simply friends than potential romantic partners.

Thank you so much for clearing up that confusion.
I guess that it is about time for me to see where I can lay my hands on that book. Amazon seems to be my fastest bet. 👍

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

I did see Don't Look Now a few days ago. I remembered that I had seen it years ago.
What an ending!

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

Yes!

I love twists like that!

Fasten Your Seatbelts….