Roundhay Garden Scene : The book was better

The book was better

I don't know why filmmakers think they can improve on a story like this. They should have left the story as is.

Re: The book was better

They completely changed the ending! You can't do that to a classic like this. Who the hell does Louise Le Prince think he is?

We're working on a history report, not a babe report.

And in the book, the guy in black was walking clockwise! This movie is bullsh¡t!

Man, I hate people who think they can compare this movie to the novel. It's like the people who choose Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory over Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (or vice versa). They're completely separate entities, with very different visions and motivations behind them. I agree, the book is absolutely brilliant, but in it the author was trying to argue for a very important (historically) philosophical viewpoint. It's a very pedantic and didactic book--gracefully written, yes, and extremely inspirational, but the characters are caricatures and some of the plot twists are absurd.

The movie, however, makes an entirely different statement, an artistic statement that satirizes the book's intentions: a work of art should exist merely as a work of art, without attempting to make statements or moralize. It's a brilliant concept--an art piece that nullifies itself while proving its point. Of course the guy in black walks counter-clockwise! He does so for the beauty of it, not for any practical necessity!

Wow, I think that review was about six times as longas the movie.

indeed. sometimes, the author's perspective is always superior to the director's vision.