Economics, Business, Money, Finance : Some people abuse their air conditioning.

Some people abuse their air conditioning.

I've never been a fan of air conditioning. One of the things my ex and I, when I was briefly living with her, could not agree on was where to set the air conditioning.

I would prefer 78/79 F. And she'd say "no that's too hot! It's too hot outside!"

But what she failed to realize if it's over 90 F outside, then you raise the setting, not lower it. See, here's how AC works:

A setting of 78 F =/= 78 F at all times. It depends on the time of day, and the temperature outside.

If it's 78-79 F outside, at dusk, then a setting at 78 F can be warm and muggy in the apartment.

HOWEVER - if it's 100 F outside, and it's noon, and the hot sun is beaming down on the apartment, then a setting at 78 F can be very, very cold, because the cold air is constantly circulating from the vent, and has trouble fighting against the sun to reach the set temperature, resulting in a constant flow of ice cold air and running up the electric bill.

A setting of 76 F on an 80 F degree day is fine, as the air will kick off and stay off for a while. But a 100 F day, raising it to 81 F would be just as cool as setting it to 76 F on a nice day.

Right now, mine is off, and I'm comfortable. What I do is jump in my pool, let my body get used to water, then when I walk in the house, I'm freezing.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: Some people abuse their air conditioning.

Lucky! It must be around 95 in my bedroom right now.

Post deleted

Not by choice no

Post deleted

I have central a/c but it broke down and I need a new unit installed. I've got an industrial fan going when I'll be going to sleep at least.

Post deleted

I don't even know. My dad likes it cold, I think.

34/f/Orlando | Irish-American
christinabarrett.com

I do the exact opposite when I go to bed! I raise it up. I figure If I'm going to be confined to one room, why pay to AC the rest of the house? I have a ceiling fan.

70???? This is central air, right? Mine would never reach that. 77 makes it cold enough.

Post deleted

I remember when air and heat were hard to come by.

34/f/Orlando | Irish-American
christinabarrett.com

Loser

Post deleted

Good God, do you ever shut up?

Post deleted

A lot of people leave them on all day and are surprised when they see their electric bill.

"You had me at Elk Tartare"
-Erin Wotherspoon

My modest proposal is that A/C should be illegal unless the building also has enough solar panels that it can run directly from sunshine. Otherwise, use traditional hot-climate architecture styles that provide natural cooling.