Philosophy : Why do humans cling to the delusion of "purpose"?

Re: Why do humans cling to the delusion of "purpose"?

Will Eisner had a purpose in life…

No, he didn't, he had a talent, a drive, an insight etc. but he had no more "purpose in life" than anyone else during 3.4 million years of Stone Age and the 6,000 years since the Stone Age ended.

'(sigh) We humans are stupid egotistical self-deluded beings'

Some people have more purpose than others.

Nope, our ancestors could have simply gone sterile and we simply wouldn't be here. No matter how useful we make ourselves, no matter how nice we make the universe, no matter how clever art we make, we cannot make "purpose" non-imaginary.

Perhaps the imaginary purpose helps people get things done.

Being egotistical can provide drive, absolutely.

An ego is only as bad as the person using is. We see enough toxic egos on this board to know that.

Believing the universe revolves around you, the person, is not a question of only being as bad as you, the person, are.

I don’t believe that many people with a sense of purpose also believe the world revolves around them. Sometimes they might think they were put on this planet to feed the birds.

That's believing the universe revolves around you, that the universe knows you exist because it created you to perform a function as part of its function. Meaning if you don't perform your function the universe can't perform its function. Hence the universe revolves around you, you are the fulcrum, without you the whole big cosmic train goes off rails and crashes. As opposed to those people without "purpose" who are not vital cogs in the machine like you, they're just redundant wheels unconnected to anything.

That's how the myth of "purpose" is inherently egotistical.

Reality is all life on this planet could have gone extinct with the dinosaurs and that would be a universe as equally valid as this one. Our utility to the birds as caretakers is as irrelevant as our utility as caretakers to the alligators or the guinea pigs or the golden-headed langur (the 70 or so left on the planet).

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

You know I might buy this b.s. you spout if it were not for the fact you post in the Superhero threads. Superheroes stand for hope. They make us want to be better to be more then we are.
I agree. And being better entails not being egotistical and self-deluded.

To selflessly help others even if they may not deserve it.
No one "deserves" anything but yes, that is part of the concept of the superhero.

So for all this doom and gloom you spout I think deep down inside you do cling to some hope and desperately want to be part of the human race.
You're confusing two things: the "doom and gloom" is my personal misanthropy, my personal disappointment with mankind. That is separate from my points about what is myth and what is real, which is entirely impersonal.

As for wanting to be part of the human race, my favorite superhero is Martian Manhunter.

to pretend we are above animals.

I can smell your feet through your shoes

I'm WildManWizard

Why do they cling to the delusion of anything? It's comforting I suppose.

Yeah.