Sinister : Sinister vs. The Ring

Sinister vs. The Ring

Which is better? I think The Ring, but Sinister comes close.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: Sinister vs. The Ring

The Ring

Peace.

That had not occurred to us, Dude.

Funnily enough i have watched both The Ring and Sinister today (I'm on a horror binge atm). While i saw The Ring a couple of times already, Sinister was my first viewing.

I think The Ring overall was better, but Sinister did make me jump quite a few times, something very few horrors manage to do for me. Yeah they were pretty cheap scares but they worked. It was also pretty creepy, especially when the children are following Ethan Hawke. The Ring i found not to be very scary or particuarly creepy either but it had an intriguing story in my opinion. Sinister's first half was really good but once he finished the Super 8 reels it kind of dragged i felt.

One thing that really annoyed me about Sinister is how Ethan Hawke never turned on any lights. I mean come on, especially when he starts carrying that bat with him.

@Zruke I agree it bugged me too that once he knew what he was up against he continued to walk around the house and outside with a bat and when inside after hearing noises he never turned on the light.

I preferred The Ring over Sinister.

Post deleted

Post deleted

Post deleted

I prefer The Ring overall. It had more texture and subtlety. Sinister is decent, but relying on endless dark wanderings-around-the-house is kind of a lazy substitute to building multi-setting atmosphere.

Made a mental checklist as I watched both last week. It's clear as day that The Ring inspired Sinister. At least the co-writer admits it. Granted, The Ring is a remake--not suggesting it is the high water mark, either, but between the two, it gets my nod. Look at all these similarities, tweaked just enough:

*videotape VS 8mm film
*Newspaper Reporter (Watts) VS novelist (Hawke)
*ghost kid uses TV as gateway VS ghost kids use 8mm films as gateway through demon
*Major discovery in floor under barn VS major discovery in attic
*Both protagonists try to burn tape(s) after evil discovery
*son draws images on paper VS daughter paints on walls
*distorted faces of 'viewers' look like partial inspiration for Mr. Boogie's face
* Mr. Boogie's murders start the same year Anna Morgan tried to conceive

No contest: The Ring.

Sinister is a good horror film.
Ring is the 2nd best horror film all time.
Ring wins by a billion

The Ring is better, but I liked both.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQiCqkP7xIw

The Ring is the stronger Movie, but was made for a 2002 audience. More climatic horror in the Ring. The scene where samara gets the man at the end is insanely scary. Sinister was made for an audience in the 2010s and it shows.

The Ring, hands down. That movie has such great atmosphere, right down to the muted gray/blue colors. It has intrigue too. And that scene where the horse died and the ring quickly flashed on the screen freaked me out at the time.

Sinister was okay, but was clearly only going to end one way, and the exposition up to that point wasn't especially interesting in the second half.