Love Affair : Prefer This To An Affair to Remember

Prefer This To An Affair to Remember

I watched An Affair to Remember first and I had to force myself through it because I wanted to be able to speak about a movie that was called one of the most romantic films of all time. Yet I found myself rather bored. I know Love Affair shares a lot of the same shots and dialogue but in this movie it all feels more natural and genuine. I think the lighter tone and the way Dunne and Boyer act their parts really contribute to how much more I liked this film than its remake. Love Affair feels like pink champagne. An Affair to Remember does not. Also, I love the tighter pacing. Comparing the running times of the two films, you'd think the remake was actually the first film edited into the much better paced Love Affair.

Re: Prefer This To An Affair to Remember

Agree 100%. I got a little bored during An Affair to Remember when the scenes off the ship seemed too long and I didn't like the school scene. But it worked better in Love Affair.

I did the same. Watched An Affair to Remember first because it was a "classic". I liked it at the time although the scene with the singing kids bored me to tears. Also I always felt there was something fake about it but I never could put my finger on it.

After watching Love Affair years later and falling in love with it, I think I know what it is. The acting in An Affair to Remember is so affected, it just doesn't feel natural. My major problem is with Cary Grant, whom I love to pieces, but he just does not feel comfortable playing the playboy in this. Perhaps he was just to old for the part and couldn't relate to it anymore ...

Boyer and Dunne have such a natural rapport in this. You never once question whether these two should be together. Pink Champagne indeed.

I think the movie also had bad luck that is was released the same year as Gone with the wind. It didn't stand much of a chance ...

ask the spokesperson, I don't have a brain

I prefer Love Affair over An Affair to Remember. I watched AATR first. I was so boring I could barley get through the movie. I did not know Love Affair existed until I watched it. The movies seemed similar as I watched it. Love Affair is miles better. I like all four if them. Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer seems more natural together. Love Affair seemed to move along better and did not drag on and on.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I saw An Affair To Remember first, and loved it. However, after watching Love Affair, this movie out shines AATR. Boyer is charming and Dunne is magical, she is Terry.

If we can save humanity, we become the caretakers of the world

Love Affair is way better than An Affair to Remember, which I agree with other posters is a bit of a bore.
I don't think Love Affair drags at all, it flows wonderfully and has a subtlety and charm which AATR does'nt. A Great Film.

I've always felt An Affair to Remember was a bit bland. Too many scenes leave me wanting more and not in a good way. I just found out about Love Affair yesterday and only caught the last scene :(. I'll have to catch it next time it's on.

I'm the same. I loved AATR the first few times I watched it, and I did spread the viewings apart, not too close together. However, over time, I just started losing interest in the movie midway more and more. Then, I finally came across 'Love Affair' and realized it was a better movie, overall. It's crazy, because I am a HUGE Cary Grant fan, but I found I truly preferred Boyer's characterization a bit better. I had already felt that it was most likely Deborah Kerr that was the 'drag' for me, but I didn't want to really admit it, because she is so loved, that I thought I was wrong. However, after viewing Love Affair, I realize I was right. Irene Dunne's portrayal blows Kerr's way out of the water. It's a huge margin. [Of course, I feel the same about Kerr vs Dunne regarding 'The King & I' and 'Anna & The King of Siam' even though many prefer Kerr's portrayal and that version of the story.]
I, always, liked Grant's revelation scene at the end of the remake, I believed he had that sense of realization take over him, but Boyer's same scene just seems a to have a little more depth. It's a combination of pain, sadness, and happiness all in one moment in his face. Hard to explain. I know many people disagree, they feel the opposite, but I have re-watched AATR just to try to prove myself that I'm wrong, and his comes close, it just is not quite equal.

Credo ergo sum

I've always loved AATR, but this is just so charming. I love Deborah Kerr, but she's so affected in her version. When she cries when Cary Grant kisses her and says "Beauty always makes me cry", it's just not real. Boyer and Dunne have a lot more natural chemistry. I do love the scene when Kerr is coming from dinner and tells Grant to try the bouillabaisse (or was it vichyssoise?) and they spar in French.

But no Cary grant

I prefer this version too. An Affair to Remember is a fine movie - warm, sentimental, romantic and touching.

But this movie is astonishing - truly Boyer and Dunne are just perfect together - and their portrayals just depict people who seem so very real - not perfect people, and aware of it - but people you'd love to know. And they really REALLY seem to fall in love - oh they mesh so perfectly -- they seem to delight in each other's glances, every remark.