Classic Film : Memorable Biopics

Memorable Biopics

Biopics have been a staple of the industry/art since the beginning. Some are good, some are bad, but it doesn't always matter. Sometimes they stray from the truth, sometimes they stick too close to it. But they are an interesting genre that almost always captures the audience's attention. I tend to prefer those that might bend the truth a bit in order to really tell it.

Anyway, a few of those that were particularly memorable for me:

La Passion de Jeanne D'Arc (1928) - Carl Theodor Dreyer
Silkwood (1983) - Mike Nichols
Bonnie and Clyde (1967) - Arthur Penn
The Miracle Worker (1962) - Arthur Penn
Boys Don't Cry (1999) - Kimberly Pierce
La Vie en Rose (2007) - Olivier Dahan

Re: Memorable Biopics

Bonnie and Clyde is the one that popped out for me.
Their real-life exploits were every bit as dramatic as their on-screen adventures.
They were both very attractive people - not as hollywood attractive as Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway, of course, but it is easy to see how they became folk heros.

Bonnie and Clyde

Yes, I think B & C is one of the great films of the sixties. It's the film that revolutionized the portrayal of graphic violence in American cinema, which it did in a valid and important way by showing the profound consequences of that violence. Unfortunately, it also opened the floodgates for films that all too often portray graphic violence without showing any consequences at all.

It's interesting that Warren Beatty produced this film when he was 29. After it was released, Jack Warner pulled it pretty quickly when it had a rather poor showing initially. Beatty threatened so sue him, so Warner re-released it, and Beatty traveled the country championing it. Suddenly it was a world-wide phenomenon that garnered many well-deserved awards, including Oscars. I love the script, the cinematography, the music, Dede Allen's editing, and, of course, Arthur Penn's brilliant direction.

An iconic film, to be sure.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Bump

i much enjoy epic stories being true legends of their moment in time such long before my own

THE LAST EMPEROR, what a change in history in general but also for this little boy how life started with him as the son of heaven and then finally ended up as simple gardener

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, again what a change for a person growing up a brit but then ending up one of the arabs

simple like so

Bertolucci and Lean

Really appreciate your thoughtful comments.

There is such brilliant writing, acting and direction in both films, but of the two, I have to opt for what is considered to be one of David Lean's greatest films. Oh, did he know how to set a shot!

And I certainly agree with you about the value of the stories in terms of their historical impact, as well as their similarities in terms of character development.

Thanks for the post.

Post deleted

Frances

Yes, I'm a big fan of this one. Jessica Lange was amazing in it. What a heartbreaking story it is.

Post deleted

Frances

Don't think I saw the tv version, but I remember Star 80. I was disappointed in it. I liked the cast very much, but I thought the script wasn't good enough. Fosse's other biopic, Lenny, was so much better, I thought. Star 80 deserved to be that good, but for me it just didn't get there, I think in large part because of Fosse's script.

EDIT: @Lemon head

Though I agree that it was heartbreaking. And I have a vague memory of Peter Bogdanovich's involvement in the true story, but it eludes me now.

Post deleted

Star 80

Oh, that's it! Something that's hard to wrap my brain around. Not sure if I should thank you or not. 😊

Coal Miner's Daughter (1981). Sissy Spacek deservedly won an Oscar for her terrific performance as legendary queen of country music Loretta Lynn. Great support from Tommy Lee Jones as Lynn's husband, plus Spacek even did her own fine singing.

You've seen Guy Standeven in something since the man was in everything.

http://movie-dude.co.uk/Guy%20Standeven.htm

Coal Miner's Daughter

I loved this one. Agree with everything you've said. It's one of the best biopics of its kind I've ever seen.

Excellent choice woody!👍

I wasn't really here. It was all in your head!

both were great but it was just a good movie imo

Post deleted

Mishima (mainly because it has one of my favourite soundtracks).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8424687@N08/

Mishima

Oh, Stammerhead, I never saw this one! Had every intention to do so, but it got away from me. I'm glad you liked it. I know many, many people who did. And, yes, what a great score!

Solid thread my man👍
Silkwood is a gem…as well as B&C.

I'm a movie knucklehead…but I really like where the buffalo roam (1980) and fear and loathing in las vegas. I believe both are considered semi biographical though.
Confessions of a dangerous mind I enjoyed. Goodfellas is one of my favorite flicks.

Anyway…my lap mort said you were burning it up as far as movie discussion goes…keep it up champ😁👍

Thanks so much for your most kind comments. Much appreciated, and I'll do my best to persevere.

So glad to see another Silkwood and Bonnie and Clyde fan. But of your titles, I've only seen Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, which I liked very much. I'm not very good at keeping up with newer films and especially with some genres.

But if you'll be patient with me in that regard, I'll keep forging ahead. 😊

Well…I like Shitty movies😂😂😂

All are worth a watch..or not…whatevs😉

Either way…just keep posting that fire and I'll try not to embarrass myself to much when I respond😁👍

My motto is to each his own. You won't embarrass yourself with me, nor will I embarrass myself with you. We'll just agree to disagree, if that's even necessary.

Okey-doke? (How do you spell that anyway??) 😊👍

The Elephant Man. David Lynch got real!

Oh yes what a moving movie!

simple like so

The Elephant Man

Oh, man did Lynch get real, and brilliantly, too! I love this film. And I actually saw the play on Broadway, so I have a point of reference. They are very different efforts in some ways, but Lynch, whose films in general do not please me, really captured the heart and soul and mind of this extraordinary man. A wonderful film, this one.

The Elephant Man

Fasten Your Seatbelts….
It's Going To Be A Bumpy Night!

What's Love Got to Do With It?

This one was indeed a winner. Great performances, especially by Angela Bassett.

Yeah I think we were talking about this one before. It was BRUTAL, and gave me a newfound respect for Tina Turner. I can't believe what a nasty piece of work Ike was. What a mofo. The abuse she went through. Watching her evolution and how hard she was drilled. Performing right after giving birth. The beatings. The rapes.

And to be honest, Angela Bassett was so believable in this performance. Perfection.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." ~ Alice in Wonderland

I recently saw an interview with Tina Turner on 60 Minutes, and it seems that she has a good life now, living in Europe with a man who loves her. I'm glad for that.

And, yes, the film was brutal, but Basset was indeed wonderful in her ability to meet it head on.

I thought she was dying of cancer?

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." ~ Alice in Wonderland

Tina Turner

As I recall it's in remission. I could be wrong, but that's what I remember. I just know that she was really happy with her life and seemed healthy in general.

Edit: I found this from Snopes on-line.

What's True

Between 2013 and 2018, Turner suffered a series of major health setbacks beginning with a stroke and followed by bouts of intestinal cancer and kidney disease. She underwent successful operations in 2016 and 2017 to remove a cancerous section of her colon and to receive a kidney transplant. As of March 2019, she was still under medical treatment related to the transplant and her body's rejection of the organ.

What's False

As of March 2019, there were no reliable reports of Turner suffering a recurrence of either stroke or cancer, and she was in good enough health to travel abroad, make public appearances, and conduct on-camera interviews.

The Elephant Man

This is amazing and unbelievable!

Catch Me If You Can

Missed this, sad to say. Will catch on tv next time it shows up. Thanks for the clip.

Catch Me If You Can

Amazing as well as true story, fully agree with NZer on this pick.

Actually caught a rerun of this one just a couple of weeks ago and watched through the whole story again. Totally worth it. Not often I like reruns of movies already watched, only since there are sooo many still not seen.

Another amazing story with same actor once again doing a fab job

Leo! He is kind of a one of a kind :)

THE WOLF OF WALL STREE

simple like so

Catch Me If You Can

It shows up on tv once in awhile, and next time I'll really make a point to watch it. And you're right about DiCaprio; he is one of a kind. I remember him when he was a kid. Amazing actor and a dedicated environmentalist. Bless him for that.

The Elephant Man

I absolutely LOVED this movie!

I saw a speech given by the real Frank Abagnale, Jr who said they took quite a bit of liberty in making the movie, but at the same time, described in today's world with technology, it might even be easier to do what he did back then! (That surprised me).

This was fantastic, and I could watch it over and over!

The Elephant Man

NZer, I liked how the movie started with the re enactment of his appearance on this show. Here is the real Frank Jr.

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

Post deleted

I Walk the Line

Yes, this is an excellent biopic with two great performances - and a lot of great music, too. Unfortunately, I've yet to see Bohemian Rhapsody, but I have so many friends who sing its praises. I will get to it sometime soon.

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

Brian's Song

Oh, you're breaking my heart with this one, Margo. What a beauty it is. I remember it like it was yesterday. One of the best of the television biopics, rivaling so many on the big screen. Thanks so much for the post.

Brian's Song

I think it was the best of the best TV Movies of the Week.
It was a movie known to make grown men cry.

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

Brian Wood & Why Do Fools Fall in Love

I haven't seen either of these, Margo. Maybe I'll get to them one of these days (my list is getting so long and my time is so short, relatively speaking). Thanks for the posts. (I meant to see ED WOOD, but it got away from me. I know that Martin Landau is wonderful in it. Depp, too, I'm sure. Damn, I just can't keep up anymore.)

Ed wood was one of my favorite directors. I like movies that are so bad, they are…BAD!

Frankie Lymon's story is a strange one.

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

Bad movies can be a lot of fun, I get that. Bad westerns and some of the old sci-fi movies in the fifties are perfect examples of that. Like Wood's Plan Nine from Outerspace. Don't know if I'll see the remake coming up. They'll probably try to make it too good. 😊

You just reminded me… I had heard that there was going to be a remake. I can just see it. Forget the paper plate flying saucer. Bring on all of the cool CGI special effects!

It would be fun if the emphasis was put on the cheesiness of the original. Make it a comedy?

Fasten Your Seatbelts….