Dr. Kildare : Post deleted

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: I thought there'd be more posts here…

I know my mom was a huge fan of the show and was crazy for Richard Chamberlain.
Many, many years ago, TBS or TNT aired a "Dr. Kildare" Christmas episode overnight that I saw in TV Guide purely by chance and taped overnight. (Naturally, it was edited to allow for today's more-commercials practice.) I e-mailed the station (on my mom's behalf) and asked if they'd be airing any more episodes. The response was polite and professional and said that, although there was a chance some more episodes might be aired, the series had pretty much been filed away by the station under the category "does not work."

I'm sorry to say that I believe the answer to your question is, yes, this series has pretty much been forgotten. I seriously doubt it will ever see the light of DVD. It's a pity.

Post deleted

I remember Dr. Kildaire and also used to watch it faithfully, even though I was fairly young. My favorite episode, which I also remember quite well, was "Tiger, Tiger" with Yvette Mimieux. Again, if I remember correctly, her medical condition was epilepsy. She was a surfer, which you can imagine, is a dangerous pastime for someone with epilepsy. Dr. Kildaire met her at the hospital and started dating her. I can still picture him at the beach with Yvette. He had told her she should stop surfing because she could never know when an attack would occur. She told him she couldn't stop...that would be (totally paraphrasing here) like stopping breathing. Of course, the episode ended with her on her surfboard...having an attack...and even Jim couldn't save her. Oh, that was so sad!

I also remember seeing Richard Chamberlain as Hamlet, which is my favorite Shakespeare play. He was so good. I seem to remember it was a Hallmark Hall of Fame episode, but I wouldn't bet $5.00 on my memory here. Maybe $1.00!

Thanks for bringing back some early childhood memories

I have the 'Tyger Tyger' episodes on videotape.

They were shown on TNT in the 1990s. I don't know how to put them on Youtube. If anyone has any idea of how to do this, send me a message.

As I'm writing this I have just heard of the death of Darren McGavin mentioned in your post.
I also remember Dr. Kildare from my childhood.(and Ben Casey).2 thoughts come to mind. 1.As kids,those of us of the baby boomer generation watched very intelligent shows that today's kids wouldn't watch on a bet, due to the fact that there were only 3 networks and generally 1 TV (remember those days)and Mom and Dad decided what we watched.
The amount of commercials per hour now makes it impossible to show a 60's hour long show in the present hour long slot making many many shows completely forgotten now.Perhaps only college aged kids would be able to appreciate the high quality of those dramas of the past.
One more difference: the TV season of the 60's had many more episodes per year than now.The show "Checkmate for example had 70 episodes in only 2 years on the air!

material location:

Post deleted

Re: Thanks for the links !

Ditto! Thanks for the weblinks. Didn't have that info. If anyone get any info on how to purchase the series on DVD or VHS, please let me know. Thanks!

I remember the show well; it was the predecessor to late 1960's medical shows like "Medical Center" and "Marcus Welby M.D.". I don't remember ever seeing any reruns. My feeling is that it, like the 2 other shows I just mentioned, wouldn't work with today's audiences.