The Sound of Music : Great film, hate all you want.

Great film, hate all you want.

Consistent plot, witty development (most of the time), superb and immeasurable staging, ripping photography, insuperable casting and, the crucial aspects of this film: unbeateable and superior chemistry betwen actors, and genious and never-to-be-forgotten music and numbers.

People hate it because it tranfers "too much" good fellings and it's naive. Oh, well" cimena is to dream sometimes. This film always makes me enjoy, laugh and cry with total emotion since the first time.

Re: Great film, hate all you want.

It is one of the best movies ever made. I've seen it three times in the theater.

--------------------------------
I did sixty in five minutes once...

We live in a degenerative society that prefers deeply offensive entertainment. The Sound of Music is a masterpiece.

The world looks to Sweden.

I'd more say that we live in an overly-cynical society where goodness and loveliness are looked upon as quaint and twee.

I give it a 9/10.

If it had some super-heros in it or someone got their head blown off by a shotgun I would have given it 10/10.

This movie is an absolute masterpiece. But I certainly understand why people don't like it and why it fails to translate to the new generation.

"I said no camels, that's five camels, can't you count?"

I am a huge fan of old movies, TCM is marked in my 'favorites' list, but equally not a fan of musicals! With one exception, The Sound of Music, love this movie!

I find that the musicals I like/love are the ones that are great movies that happen to have well thought out musical numbers. Music is so personal to people that it's often futile to make recommendations. 9/10 ever made are dreck, but try the good ones. Cabaret is a great movie.

i agree 100% and i didn't expect it all to be that good, especially for a 3-hour movie, and especially for a musical.. i didn't find it cheesy at all, the performances were totally believable, none of the songs seemed out of place, the cinematography was quite interesting (i noticed it right away in the first 15 minutes), the comedy was genuinely funny, as well as the poignant moments (like the scene when the captain reconnects with his children when he sees them singing or at the end when he sings "Edelweis" in front of the nazis)

another thing that caught my attention was the way the plot developed, in a more conventional approach it would've taken Maria much longer to gain the captain's trust, the movie would've ended with their wedding, the baroness would've been a more evil stereotype, Rolfe would've ended up together with Leisl, etc.. instead they avoided all those clichés, it was quite refreshing

Although it made Christopher Plummer a household name, he ungratefully dismissed this magnificent screen gem as The Sound of Mucus, infuriating the von Trapp family, who were not pleased with his more stiff portrayal of their beloved, light-hearted father onscreen.

In reality, Georg von Trapp was a softie who adored his children, encouraged their singing even before Maria came on the scene, and was not at all the arrogant martinet made virtually immortal by Plummer. In fact, he was a wimp who was very much under the control of the domineering Maria von Trapp, who was the one who persuaded him that they all had to leave Austria and escape to America.

But you are absolutely right: it is a great, glorious, and gorgeous film. The scenery alone is beyond breathtaking. It remains among my top ten favorites of all time.

That's good to know. I think an actor should be better behaved than to be so ungracious, but we all know how show biz people can be. It's too bad the bad rep the real Captain got. Did the script of the film differ from the Broadway musical in this detail? I only know the film. In any event, it seems they had to add a domestic conflict somehow. In the end, they went with the prevailing mid-60s theme of Dad's conservative views harshing our mellow. Fiddler On the Roof, Mary Poppins feature dads who are too inflexible. I have read so many posts defending the subject of a biopic as far nicer than the one in the movie.