The Sound of Music : Hm. Chemistry between Charmian Carr and Chris Plummer

Hm. Chemistry between Charmian Carr and Chris Plummer

I just watched this on a 50th anniversary Blu-Ray and I sure did notice it. Anyone else? The most electric daddy-daughter combo I've ever seen.

~~~~~~~
Please put some dashes above your sig line so I won't think it's part of your dumb post.

Re: Hm. Chemistry between Charmian Carr and Chris Plummer

I didn't see THAT kind of chemistry at all... but while I didn't notice it when I saw the film 50 years ago, it is fairly obvious by how self-possessed Charmaine Carr is, she is no timid and shy 16 year old.

That being said, I love this film, and hope I can find a re-release somewhere near me!

How sad, that you were not born in my time, nor I, in yours.

The only time I can recall them getting a bit frisky was during the "blueberry" conversation where they were going "hm? hm?" at each other. Otherwise, I'd say he had more chemistry with the Baroness and of course Maria. Not that these two (Liesl and the captain) didn't have chemistry. In fact, they could probably make a believable and attractive couple outside of a father/daughter context.

Then again, it could be that Christopher Plummer is probably able to generate lots of chemistry with all his ladies ;). (From what I can tell, Chris really loves girls. I've lost count of how many times he glances at Maria's little booty in this film.)

Both Charmian Carr and Christopher Plummer did have crushes on each other but they didn't do anything about it. He's 15 years older than her, so it wouldn't have been horrible. I don't know what was wrong with her...if I had been in her shoes, I certainly would have flirted with him!

She was utterly gorgeous. Any straight man, and likely many women would want her too.

www.jmberman.com
Online Mews, Reviews, Poetry, Music, and Ideas

The only time I can recall them getting a bit frisky was during the "blueberry" conversation where they were going "hm? hm?" at each other.

Interesting. Yes I saw that little coy smile she gave him here, but I chalked it up to her being the oldest and perhaps wisest, and that she knew he knew precisely where the children had been that day. I did not, nor will I in future, read anything sexual into their on-screen relationship.

Never noticed anything like that, I've just always thought they were very believable as father-daughter because they looked so much like each other. Hair color, skin tone, even facial features.

I wish I hadn't found out that he was only 15 years older than her.. :/

-----------------------
"The best fairytale is one where you believe the people" -Irvin Kershner

I like to envision that they had a little something going on during the making of the movie. Chris Plummer did drink a lot during the shooting of the film; if I was CC I would have made a move. He was GORGEOUS!!

Truthfully I think she's obsessed with older men and still thinks like a 21 year old. In her book she couldn't come up with a single thing Plummer ever said to her when they made the movie. I think she thought his generic "lovey" demeanor while interacting with those hanging out at the Bristol was "flirting."

Here's why: I read his autobiography - as much of it as I could handle. It's huge and wordy. When it comes to women, Plummer doesn't seem to go for the eager, I have a crush, I worship you, flirty ingénue type. He likes the type that take the piss out of him. Often older, very busy, experienced in the world, and smart. Not naïve or girly. (By contrast, Richard Burton seemed to like the worshipping type with lots of drama.)

Two, everything I've read from Carr, she gloms onto any sign, real or imagined, of approval from an older man or from any man who was famous. In her book, she talks more about her boyfriend's dad than she does her boyfriend, and how encouraging he was, and what a friend to her. She's known to have had a huge crush on Anthony Perkins when she made Evening Primrose, and he was oblivious (apparently she made it obvious on set but her crush just whizzed over his head). (He was the same age as Plummer.) In her book she says she would have liked if Sean Connery had played the Captain, cause boy, she wouldn't have minded singing with HIM. And then finally, this celebrity diarist on line describes meeting her right after Sound of Music, and how she was fresh scrubbed and almost as innocent as a ten year old in her manner, and talked obsessively about Nicolas Hammond (Frederick) and her own uncle, who was a famous conductor.

Yet in her book she barely knows the uncle. In the online article I read, she's going on and on about her uncle and what an influence.

She just seems like someone who really wanted the approval and acknowledgment from older men, to prove how adult she was, and it seems like something that still preoccupies her at the age she is now. It was totally obvious in her book, since she couldn't come up with one anecdote to support that Plummer ever said anything to her directly or knew her name when they made the film.

What did impress me was how generous she was about her sisters' talents. Both became professional, semi-famous tv actresses after she did, but she got the first big break.

P.S. here's a link to the article by Robert Temple. http://www.robert-temple.com/nostalgia/charmian_carr2.html

He must have met her when she was almost 23. I was mostly struck by two things - how she talked so much about her uncle "Who seemed to be very important to her" - but based on what I've read, it was because he was famous and validation was important to her. AND when he said if someone had told him she was a large for her age 10 year old he'd have believed them, that's how she came across.

VERRRRRY interesting, Jane Three. Thanks!

~~~~~~~
Please put some dashes above your sig line so I won't think it's part of your dumb post.

Plummer barely mentions the children in the parts of his book that are of the Sound of Music. He throws them in with a list of the movie's attributes (great music, a group of very professional children) and then never mentions them again. This is eight years after Carr wrote about the crush.

My impression is Charmian is fragile. She never acted again after Evening Primrose and some commercials, but her sisters both had long careers. There's a web page with Carr promoting something, and she says she's suffered years of debilitating depression, which I believe. Taking into account, I think Plummer addressed her claim about flirting by not mentioning her at all in his own book. His book came out some years after hers. That was how he handled it. I think if she weren't known to be fragile, he might have written "WTF - I have zero memory of her and we never exchanged a word." but he didn't want to contradict someone who was basically harmless. He has said that if he has a score to settle in his life, he did it by not mentioning them in his book.

I'll say this though, I'm wondering if maybe at the time of making the movie, he DID know she had a crush on him, and cut her off on set. There are two or three moments that are scripted for him to interact briefly with Liesl. One of them is near the end of the movie when he gets the notice to join the Third Reich. He summons her out of the room so that he can talk to Maria, and he has to touch her cheek. That's in the script.

But there's another moment when she brings him a telegram. She walks over and hands it to him with a concerned look. Plummer doesn't even glance at Carr/Liesl. He's playing her father, his "daughter" scurries over to hand him a telegram "Oh father..." and he could be getting the telegram out of thin air. It's like she's invisible Another time is when the captain gets emotional singing Eidelweiss on stage, and Maria joins in to help. Then the kids come out. On Maria's side, she and Brigita look at each other and smile and nod as Brigita comes to her side. On the captain's side, Leisl joins that side, and he doesn't look at her at all. At any time. I think if there weren't these ongoing reunions, Plummer would have refuted her in the book, but he and Andrews are gracious, and protective, because she's a bit fragile and childlike.