Computers and Software : Installing antivirus software on new laptop

Installing antivirus software on new laptop

I recently bought a new laptop with windows 10 on it - I still have an account with Norton security from my old computer and I expected to have to download this again but after I got the new one it hasn't given me any messages about having to install anti virus software - do newer computers like this already include sufficient security, and so I don't need to use external antivirus software? Or should I redownload the Norton again just to be safe?

A Distorted Reality Is Now A Necessity To Be Free

Re: Installing antivirus software on new laptop

I recently bought a new laptop with windows 10 on it - I still have an account with Norton security from my old computer and I expected to have to download this again but after I got the new one it hasn't given me any messages about having to install anti virus software - do newer computers like this already include sufficient security, and so I don't need to use external antivirus software? Or should I redownload the Norton again just to be safe? - danny736

It looks like you're already covered:

Windows 10 has built-in real-time antivirus, just as Windows 8 did. It automatically runs in the background, ensuring all Windows users have a baseline level of antivirus protection. Windows 10 won’t complain at you to install an antivirus, as Windows 7 did.

http://www.howtogeek.com/220232/how-to-use-the-built-in-windows-defender-antivirus-on-windows-10/

I use avast free with windows 10 and have never had any problems I would never use a paid for antivirus, they are are usually bloatware that slows everything down

"A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence." David Hume

With all the Windows operating systems, one never HAD to use third-party security software. But we all know Microsoft can be a sly fox oftentimes. So we don't want to leave the fox guarding one's own henhouse.

If it's just the antivirus, I think any and all, including Microsoft's own, would be serviceable and do the job adequately.

I continue to use Norton for the navigable UI in configuring the firewalls. I don't know if Microsoft has made any improvements in that regard, since the XP days. Is it as cryptic as it has ever been?

I am surprised the new laptop did not come with a third-party security software pre-installed for a trial run.

________

Est modus in rebus sunt certi denique fines quos ultra citraque nequit consistere rectum Goldilocks