The Brady Bunch : Ridiculous moments on BB

Ridiculous moments on BB

When Marcia got braces right after going to the dentist, hello! it doesn't happen that fast. When the doctor treating Cindy took one look in Carol's mouth and decided HER tonsils needed taken out ASAP.

Bobby and his friends playing football with Joe Namath.

Re: Ridiculous moments on BB

When Marcia got braces right after going to the dentist

Maybe the dentist recommended braces during a prior visit, and the episode dealt with the visit where she actually had the braces put on. Otherwise, we'd spend a whole episode documenting her every dental exam, which would be quite boring and never really get around to telling the intended story.

When the doctor treating Cindy took one look in Carol's mouth and decided HER tonsils needed taken out ASAP.

I knew a lot of kids back in the day who went to the doctor for a sore throat and ended up getting their tonsils out. Maybe things have changed, but back in the 1960's/ 1970's, having your tonsils out was a common prescription to curing a wide number of throat ailments.

There's many to catalog. Sometimes it was just so funny and so Brady.

There's many to catalog. Sometimes it was just so funny and so Brady.

I agree. There's just too many. Here is my pick of one per season:

Season 1: Having to choose between a male and female doctor, like they can't have both.

Season 2: One of Marcia's friends writes "Mrs. Denton, Hippopotamus" on Marcia's picture of George Washington. Because the girl finally tells the teacher the truth, "all was forgiven." What? No punishment for the insult and disrespect? Also, the bucket of flour over the door lands on Mr. Brady's head in a perfect pyramid.

Season 3: Sargent Emma. (The Bradys are so terribly helpless that they have to have a replacement for a week?)

Season 4: A man kidnaps, ties up, and threatens your sons. So what's next? Invite him to your luau! Runner up: square dancing.

Season 5: So many to choose from, but I'll say Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Also, the bucket of flour over the door lands on Mr. Brady's head in a perfect pyramid.

That's what makes it so funny!

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I'm not a fan of that entire episode. I hate the whole shtick of the parents running things up and down the stairs, one at a time, to the kids in an attempt at zany comedy.

just sitting around in their jammies playing Monopoly

That actually happens, and I would rather them playing monopoly than whining about being sickly.

the thing with measles is that you are contagious, not necessarily as sick as we know 'too sick to work' is now.

I was in elementary school when we moved to the 'more than suburbs but less than country' type area where you could not walk to basically anywhere. It was a very rough time when this happened: my mother was in the hospital and my father was at work so my elderly aunt [who didn't drive] and uncle [who did but was also at work] were staying at our house to tend to us kids. Well, one day I missed the bus to school so I went to the neighbor's house and told her the situation. lo and behold, her son who A: rides the bus with me and b: was only a year younger than me was in his pj's PLAYING WITH LEGOS!

but I agree with you about: if you are sick for a day and you are able to play with legos or whatever: you are not that sick.

Oh God. Fortune vomits on my eiderdown once more.

When Bobby and Cindy are stopped by Alice before they go out to a swimsuit optional pool party.

I can get it that times are now different and it may have been more acceptable for kids to be running around naked like that before everyone started acting all apesh!t about worrying of sex offenders, but that is such a WTF moment for the BB.
It's like, "Did I dream that or was it really on there?"
And what makes it even more crazy is that Alice opens up their robes to see if they are wearing anything!
Ah yes. The glorious swinging 70's!

Humans are not the only species on earth.
We just act like it.

The plots kept on getting more and more ridiculous is why the show got cancelled.

They're supposed to be sick with the measles with a high fever an all (where you usually don't have an appetite), and they're yelling and screaming for lunch," and Marcia saying "oh, I'm starved!!"

Yeah, this episode was my season 1 choice for ridiculous plots - even for the Bradys. It's also one of my least favorite BB's.

Take the scene when Jan is screaming when Carol is in the boys' room. Carol rushes over to Jan, pushes RIGHT PAST the male doctor standing there and asks why Jan is so upset. "There's a strange man in my room!" she cries. Then Carol turns and sees him for the first time and tells him to get out. A real head-scratcher.

It also contains one of the stupidest lines in the series:

Cindy: How come I always get peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?
Carol: Because you LOVE peanut butter and jelly.
Cindy: Oh yeah, I keep forgetting!

Susan Olsen said years later how she hated that line and, even as a child, wondered why they had to make Cindy so stupid.

Yeah, I guess they didn't so much make Cindy out to be stupid, but maybe it was supposed to be cute with her obvious lisp. She did say a lot of dumb things though. One I remember was when the boys & girls were building the house of cards and Marcia, (this would go under the ridiculous moments thread)instead of just removing her dangling bracelet, was struggling to keep it from hitting the house of cards and knocking it all down. When Mike & Carol said it would count if she knocked it down, Cindy stupidly said, "That's not fair, boys don't wear bracelets!"

Don't know why Marcia couldn't take off that bracelet

The worst was Greg's hair turning orange.

I had an incident where my hair turned orange too so I can totally relate to that episode!

Funny how when Bobby was ready to quit selling the tonic, Carol encouraged him to continue. Later when the tonic did its damage, Carol said she knew it was a shady product. They're lucky Bobby didn't sell it to outsiders or they'd have more to worry about than orange hair.

Another ep I didn't like---Bobby as school safety monitor and it goes to his head.

The cat that Bobby saved was one of the best actors to be on the series. Very believable in that role.

When the family goes out searching for Tiger. Nobody can seem to catch him, but everyone was able to spot him somewhere and phone it into "mission control" where Alice and Carol are manning the phones and have maps laid out. And male dogs do not run away to take interest in litters of puppies that they sired, as is suggested here.

Marcia's nose and bruising healing so quickly. Her bruises did not go thru the usual process of turning green, then yellow before fading away.

🐾