The Brady Bunch : Gym class and other things

Gym class and other things

On "The Brady Bunch" they say gym class. I always called it P.E. (short for Physical Education). They say teeter-totter and I say see-saw. They say skyrockets and I say fireworks. What do you say?

Re: Gym class and other things

Gym
See-Saw
fireworks

Same here.

Soda or pop?

soda

soda

Called it gym, PE or Phys Ed

Teeter totter

Fireworks

Ok, for anyone that is interested in Europe a gymnasium refers to a type of school with a strong emphasis on academic learning, and providing advanced secondary education in some parts of Europe and the CIS, comparable to British grammar schools, sixth form colleges and U.S. preparatory high schools. In its current meaning, it usually refers to secondary schools focused on preparing students to enter a university for advanced academic study.

Many thanks to Wikipedia for this information.

I have a friend in Switzerland whose son is in a Gymnasium-I wasn't familiar with the word in that context before

gym class
see saw
fireworks

(This reminds me, I saw this on another board ...what do you call the stuff you put on a cake: frosting or icing?
How do you pronounce your mother's or father's sister? Like the little black bug AKA Ant? Ont? Or Awnt?)
I call it frosting
And I pronounce aunt like the little black bug
(Kind of funny ,but sad story If you saw this already,feel free to skip it : My favorite aunt had an incredible sensible of humor . So one day in a card store I saw a card that said "Some people pronounce 'aunt' like "ant" But that sounds like the black bug Some people pronounce "aunt" like "ont" But that sounds too clasy ( Their words...NOT MINE!!) So..... (and you open the card) and it says "Happy Birthday You!" ) This card was PERFECT for my aunt! Unfortunately I never got a chance to get it for her, She died before her next birthday. )

frosting

here's another-sub sandwich-grinder-hoagie or hero-around here it's subs.

We call them hero sandwiches.

That is sad Katzi428. ): Hugs to you

Thank you Henahey. That's very sweet of you.

PE, seesaw, fireworks, frosting, aunt like the insect

suzycreamcheese RIP Heath Ledger 1979-2008

I say icing and pronounce Aunt like the insect.

I'm in Canada...most people here seem to say icing.

you called it PE because that is what you were taught.

you are right in saying that it is physical education, since gym is a place and PE can take place in other areas -- even the regular classroom.

I am a teacher and although I think we should say PE our principal wants us to say gym. I put Physical education in our schedule and the principal put a letter in my file.

just goes to show you how ignorant the 'better' people are.

Oh God. Fortune vomits on my eiderdown once more.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

really? it is considered PE. physical education. Gym is a place.

http://www.carlisleschools.org/webpages/livingstonb/resources.cfm?subpage=762023

and genius principal still says people that, students that, parents that. it is who! who!

Are you one of those people who call them janitors and not custodians?

What's his (or hers) attitude towards left handed people? Are they the anti-Christ? I remember quite a few years ago about a police officer who was fired for putting a horizontal line through the 7's of his report.

my views or my ignorant principal's?

My father and my 2 year old niece are left handed and I do more with my left side than with my right side.

I not only put dashes through my 7's but also my Z's.

forward rolls or summersaults. although a somersault is really a flip that was never told.

flip or somersault. I like flip because of it is obvious of what you are doing.

P.E. At skule or school?

Yo, she-bitch! Let's go !

About "skule"-- that was Marcia's pronunciation of school. As a kid, we just puzzled over this type of accent. We assumed it was a "Californian Accent", but I have never met anyone -- Californian or otherwise, who pronounces "school" in this manner.

Anyone else?

Marcia (Maureen) also says "night" in a way that I rarely hear. The girl at the beginning of this clip says it in the same way. I assume that she's from California, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJJHm2WFkbA

quite a few actors elongate the T at the end of words. Zack Morris did this often on saved by the bell. that's grateuh! carpettuh. don't let the door hit you on the way outuh!

Johnny Depp did the same thing when he was Sweeney Todd.. mrs lovittz when her name was lovitt.

I love how tele-evangelists will accentuate the 'd' in 'God'.

God-DYAH.

right?

Meryl Streep says it in The Devil Wears Prada.

About "skule"-- that was Marcia's pronunciation of school. As a kid, we just puzzled over this type of accent. We assumed it was a "Californian Accent", but I have never met anyone -- Californian or otherwise, who pronounces "school" in this manner.

I've heard people from Oklahoma (like former WWE commentator Jim Ross) pronounce "school" the same way as Marcia.

For us, it was gym class in elementary school, and Physical Education in Middle and High School.

Me? I use teeter-totter and see-saw interchangeably.

Fireworks.

They say flapjacks, I say pancakes. 😂

That might be something Carol learned growing up in Swampscott, Mass. Even though she never acquired a Boston accent.

Gym
see-saw
Fireworks.

They also called 8th grade their "senior" year. which always confused me. I guess it's technically your "senior" year of Jr. high, but we never called an 8th grade dance a "senior dance" or "senior night."

They also said "A boy phoned for you" instead of "a boy called for you."

A see-saw is on the ground.

A teeter-totter hangs from a swing set.

to me at least.

gym
see-saw
fireworks
"ant"
icing (frosting when I was younger)
soda
hero
pancakes

Alice referred to pancakes as flapjacks. McDonald's calls them hotcakes.

The Bradys said service porch. Everyone I know called it a laundry room.