The Brady Bunch : Benedict Arnold

Benedict Arnold

I have always been fascinated by this show's obsession with Benedict Arnold. It seems like someone mentions his name in almost every episode.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: Benedict Arnold

I can only assume that since the US was gearing up for the bicentennial, Schwartz wanted to do his patriotic duty by encouraging kids to seek out more historical information on the Revolution.

I don’t need you to tell me how good my coffee is..

The best part of the "Benedict" episode is the scene with Peter and his wife in the school play. I especially love when the wife puts the coat on him and all kinds of dust goes flying! That, and when Mike quipps that he wanted to die with his boots on.

"Benedict Arnold lives no more!"

Many other TV shows also mentioned Benedict Arnold.
'Honeymooners and Flintstones to name a few.

Well ,quite simply when you wanted (back then) to call someone a
traitor, a cheat ,a liar , "sells out" or someone who "cops out" ,callingthem Benedict Arnold wasthe perfect comparison.

Had Arnold's dealings been 100% successful in helping
England ,this country would still be their royal property.

We wouldn't be called the United States or America either ,
we'd possibly be called Greater Britain or England Of The West.

So just as much as we should remember Geroge Washington and all of those who set us free from the rule of King George the IIIrd ,we should never forget that a traitor (or a number of them) could have just as easily prevented it.

Go for it or just be a gopher!
(MR.) happipuppi13 🐕 *arf,man!*

I remember watching WWF back in the 80's and they would call someone a Benedict Arnold when he turned on an ally.

Where the hell is Beeks.

We wouldn't be called the United States or America either ,
we'd possibly be called Greater Britain or England Of The West.

I get why the USA wouldn't be called the United States, but why isn't Canada, Australia, South Africa, Australia, etc... called something like 'Greater Britain' or 'England of the [direction/location]'?

I'm guessing the United States would still be called 'America' in some way, shape, or form. Or even perhaps Benedictia, or Arnoldium.

Benedict Arnold may have been mentioned in other shows but yeah, the Brady Bunch was flat-out obsessed with the guy. It seemed like the show's writers went out of their way to get his name into as many scripts as they possibly could. Even Peter's play about the American Revolution seemed to focus entirely on Benedict Arnold's role in the war while barely making any mention of anyone else--although I guess that may have been done intentionally to emphasize Peter's part.

Was Benedict Arnold really mentioned in that many episodes, I don't remember many episodes that mentioned him.

Maybe only three or four.

Yeah, I thought that was a bit of an exaggeration on this thread about this show being obsessed with Benedict Arnold.

I don't think it's that much of an exaggeration. They mention Benedict Arnold in:

"Kitty Carryall is Missing" (Marcia calls Jan a Benedict Arnold after Jan sides with Bobby during the "trial")
"Everyone Can't Be George Washington" (Peter plays Benedict in a play)
"My Sister, Benedict Arnold" (Marcia dates Greg's rival, Warn Mullaney)
"Double Parked" (Bobby asks, "Who is Benedict Arnold", because someone referred to Mike as one)
"The Fender Benders" (Peter calls Bobby a Benedict Arnold for not siding with his mother after the car accident)
"The Show Must Go On" (Carol says she feels like a traitor for not wanting to do Family Frolic Night, and Mike replies, "Not at all, Benedict!")
"Adios, Johnny Bravo" (One of the kids calls Greg a Benedict Arnold after he quits The Brady Six)

Well, 7 episodes out of 117 -- I wouldn't exactly call that an obsession. And in modern times, "Benedict Arnold" is just a cliched` term for a traitor or turncoat, using it doesn't mean an obsession with the person.

And there were lots of shows that used that term, not just the BB. I think The Honeymooners, for one, used it several times.

7 episodes is a lot more episodes than any other series mentions an historical character. It's an unusual number of times.

I think it was more of an indirect testament to how well American history was taught in school back in those days (compared to today), rather than an obsession with Arnold.

Is treason the only crime besides murder that can be punished by the death penalty in the United States?

What else would a traitor be called? Tommy Turncoat?

Aaron Burr was another American traitor around the same time as Benedict Arnold. You don't hear as much about Burr. Maybe he needed a better publicist.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I agree it was idiotic and unrealistic. Especially in films/TV everyone cheers on the bad guys.

Traitors are still called Benedict Arnold. I just heard it in reference to Wake Forest University football commentator Tommy Elrod passing on inside information to their opponents. Please click on
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/with-wakeyleaks-louisville-tries-to-sweep-scandal-under-the-rug--again/2016/12/16/9fe60c94-c3be-11e6-9578-0054287507db_story.html?utm_term=.746fa5b50118