The Brady Bunch : What plot devices wouldn't have worked in 2013

Re: What plot devices wouldn't have worked in 2013

One of the characters would be gay - not that one WASN'T, Mr. Reed and Ms. Davis. Is Ann B. Davis gay? I don't believe she has ever said one way or the other.

I can't either. LOL

Drive-ins are pretty much extinct.

There's one about 10 minutes from my home. It's very popular. People still love drive-ins.

Some of these are really good. Not sure I can add my own. I've noticed that mobile phone/cell phone has changed our culture and society greatly. Not many of those old stories from old shows would work today because of the cell phone.

I'm watching an old episode of The Brady Bunch, it's the one where Jan has a problem.

Just watched the episode about Jan getting glasses and ruining the family picture.

Professional photographers wouldn't use a camera from the 1920's.

I saw that one today too and when I saw his camera I thought it looked ancient. I know they had updated the camera greatly since the turn of the century, even in the 70's.

I'm watching an old episode of The Brady Bunch, it's the one where Jan has a problem.

I just saw a "How It's Made" about large format cameras. While they have been updated some they still look very 'old fashioned' with the accordion sides to change the depth of field.

I don't think the camera used on TBB was that unusual. I agree that a portrait photographer today would use a digital camera but there are still specialty photographers that use the old equipment and film.

Where did they go to take the picture? In those days, stores like JC Penney and Kmart had portrait studios. But the Bradys don't appear to be going to such a venue.

Walmart still has portrait studios in some stores. They were re-branded as PictureMe Portrait Studios. Space is leased and they are independently owned and operated and pay rent to Walmart and a license fee to use the Walmart brand.

Instead of the drive in, Greg would go to the mega multi-screen cinema or they'd just rent some DVDs and watch it on the HD TV. Mike could've built a home theater out of one of the spare rooms (once Greg left for college).

Instead of trading stamps they'd have those reward points cards.

The butcher shop would have much more regulations now.

Instead of bicycles, the kids would have mopeds.

Some of the kids would have bikes but they would also have skateboards and scooters. I haven't seen a true moped in years and don't think I've ever seen one in the 9 years I've lived in LA. Greg & Marcia might have had one of now hip Vespa type motor scooters.

I think that today the kids would have had firends who were African Amerian, Latino, Asian etc

also there definately not be the love and respect today and kids would probley be real smart mouths

and kids would probley be real smart mouths

Totally - like any show on the Disney channel or Nickelodeon. The kids would be mouthy (because today a precocious smart-aleck kid is soooo hilarious). The parents (and adults in general) would be portrayed as clueless and just plain idiots, while the kids plot and plan fixing a situation that happens, no matter how ridiculous. Mike and Carol would just be off to the side looking confused and saying, "Huh?"

There is a drive in about an hour south of where I live. Haven't gone to one in 6 years though because they're usually double features and it ends so late. Last time, we saw movies that I had no interest in seeing but it was still fun to go to a drive in. First time I went to one was when I was 5 in 1994 and I fell asleep. I definitely do not remember going to it but my mom told me about it once. And we still have a couple of meat/fish/outdoor markets in my city. One in particular has been around for years and it's fun to go. My grandpa used to always go and get fresh produce. There's also a fish market right there, and I remember going there with him. I miss that, since he's died. And my family does not own a car with a dvd player in it. We either talk, sleep, listen to music, or just look at the scenery. We used to sing when we were little kids in the 90s. And we did NOT talk back to our parents or grandparents (especially my grandpa) or we'd get it big time. And there's still good ice cream/burger places here, that are local and not chains all across the country.
We briefly had one that was an ice cream parlor but someone else bought it out and turned it into a frozen yogurt parlor. Gross.
I think it was more fun to get pictures developed because you would laugh at how bad some of them would come out, and you couldn't just erase it and take another one.

I agree with a lot of the outdated plot devices. Jan would just create some fake facebook page for her "boyfriend" George, there's no more local kiddie shows, Marcia would have a cell phone so she wouldn't be running up and down the stairs, and I think nowadays you could just notify security or someone in the amusement park to look for a lost blueprint tube, but it still works if you decide to retrace your steps. And I think all the kids would have cell phones, so Carol and Mike could just call Bobby or Cindy when they got lost in the Grand Canyon. lol. I also think Bobby and Cindy would try to make a viral video for Youtube instead of trying to break a seesaw record.

Like the proverbial cheese, I stand alone. Even while seated.

Jan would just create some fake facebook page for her "boyfriend" George, there's no more local kiddie shows, Marcia would have a cell phone so she wouldn't be running up and down the stairs, and I think nowadays you could just notify security or someone in the amusement park to look for a lost blueprint tube, but it still works if you decide to retrace your steps. And I think all the kids would have cell phones, so Carol and Mike could just call Bobby or Cindy when they got lost in the Grand Canyon. lol. I also think Bobby and Cindy would try to make a viral video for Youtube instead of trying to break a seesaw record.

... Makes me wish they'd do an updated version of the Brady Bunch using some of these ideas/stories. Doubt the Vince Vaughn-produced series will b like that

Minor point but last time I was at the Grand Canyon (6-7) years ago...it was almost impossible to get cell phone reception..may not be the case now though

"Shut up and go fix me a turkey pot pie"

BigScott1962, yeah I was thinking that myself. If all the kids had cell phones nowadays & the BB went 2 the Grand Canyon & Bobby & Cindy got lost, dunno if they'd get good cell phone reception (seems a lot of those kind of nature-y/outdoors/camping places don't get very good cell phone service)

Wonder though about that scene with Bobby & Cindy wanting 2 go over 2 the neighbor's pool nude... What would that b like nowadays-would they even b able 2 show a scene like that?

Great post Kung Fu!!

The Brady kids actually do have friends of other races.

Kids Bobby and Cindy's age wanting to breaka record by teeter=tottering

Well, the kids were following the example of the college-aged guys that were in the news for setting the teeter-totter record.

The kids, Mike, and Carol would have tattoos all over them.

Greg would have full sleeves tattooed on his arms.

I just caught the Kelly's Kids episode last night. Two things stood out:

Mrs. Payne the neighbor threating to have the dad kicked out of his union or club or whatever, and the mom kicked out of the PTA because they adopted Dwayne and Steve, the black and Asian kids. Can you imagine someone using that rationale today?

Also, when they showed the Bradys the picture that the kids colored at the end, the one face was colored yellow! I was amazed at what could be on TV in 1973!

They would also have body piercings.

'Father of the Year'. E-mail means Marcia wouldn't have to sneak out of home to mail her essay.

Marcia in love with her dentist episode.

Nowadays, Marcia would not have cared if the dentist was married and would have had a relationship with him.

1) There wouldn't be a dilemma with Marcia if the star football player asked her out. She would just postpone her date with Charlie for the following weekend.

2) There would be more explicit scenes with the girlfriends/boyfriends during their dates.

3) Alice would be caught with Sam in her bedroom at one point in the series.

4) There would be at least one pregnancy scare with one of the girls/boys.

Father of the Year. That new-fangled e-mail business means Marcia wouldn't have to sneak out of home and mail her "I loves my daddy" essay.

They might still have an entry deadline though, and she would be up past her bed time trying to get it emailed by midnight.

Oliver would have not moved in, he would have stayed home alone

Mike could do Skye, use faxes etc instead taking his plans to at Kings Island, Hawaii, Greg losing them
"A daffy woman constantly strives to become a star..."

Re: What plot devices wouldn't have worked in 2014

Do local TV channels still produce original programming like talent shows and quiz shows? I don't think so.

Not live, anyway. No Silver Platters sneaking out early in the morning saying they're going to a football game and want to get good seats, nor a live ice cream eating contest (how many of those kids would be squealing about the headaches?), nor Cindy's quiz where she froze when the camera went on.

Where have you been, my friend, on the talent shows?
American Idol.
Everyone's Got Talent.:)

[YES, I DID know what you meant..,.P)]

MAGIC=Sarah Silverman.

I think children no longer sell things door to door due to safety concerns.

When the kids appeared on the talent show and Cindy appeared on the quiz show it seemed to be live, not on tape. I think live TV shows had already become rare by the time The Brady Bunch was on the air.

>I think children no longer sell things door to door due to safety concerns.

Not completely true. Last year some kids came to my door selling makeup kits for Halloween, without any adults. Stuff like Girl Scout cookies are usually sold on tables in front of grocery stores, as are other things to help raise money for school events. But once in a while there will be kids coming to my door trying to sell stuff

And people still go door-to-door for other things. The Jehovah's Witnesses, of course. Some local political candidates to pass out flyers for their campaigns, and others to pass out various promotional flyers and business cards.

Kids/teenagers polishing their shoes???!?

No darkroom/photo developing chemicals needed for prints.

Forget smoking. Today Greg would be rocking a Meth addiction. He'd have a lab set up in the attic.

Hearing "high heels" in Greg's room overnight would be received with a yawn.

Greg could post his "Crumb List" online so the world would know who was on it. He would un-friend any new additions who crossed him.

They would have just Googled Mark Mallard.

6 bucks to fill a station wagon, including drinks!

The one where Greg takes up photography wouldn't work the same way. In that episode, he develops his film and fixes a few problems, including reversing the result of a football game. I never thought that one would work anyway.

---
I'm just expressing my opinion.

You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.

No family dinners because Jan and Peter would be at soccer tournaments at opposite ends of town. Marcia and Greg would be at an after-school SAT prep class, then robotics, then onto their community service club, then straight to homework when they get home. Bobby would be at little league, and Cindy would be at swim team practice. Carol would be stuck at the office, frantically texting Mike to pick up the younger ones and a bucket of KFC on the way home. Mike would be stuck on the freeway driving back from supervising a new section 8 housing development. Alice would be texting the Bradys to hurry home before her overtime rate of $5 per every minute past 5pm kicks in.

At least Bobby would have some awards. Don't they give them out now for just signing up?

The pay phone episode could be redone - because one kid (Jan) screws up, they all lose privileges to their cell phones...

Replace slide projector with those $400 projectors and a PC laptop and the Fright Night episode could be remade to work as well...

If the show was actually going to be remade.

Re: What plot devices wouldn't have worked in 2015

In the "Greg Gets Grounded" episode Greg needed to drive to the box office to buy concert tickets. If that happened more recently Greg would have been able buy the tickets on the phone or at a location of a primary ticket outlet like Ticketmaster. He also would have been gouged with service fees.

Re: What plot devices wouldn't have worked in 2016

The Bradys would not have needed tickets to fly to Hawaii.

Huh? Our family still NEEDS tickest to fly ANYWHERE!

"And that's SHOWBIZ--kid".-Roxie Hart
PROFILE PICTURE: Courtney Thorne-Smith, 1992.

The last time I flew the airline was ticketless.

If you didn't use an airline ticket then you received or printed a boarding pass which is still a physical document you need to get through security and to board a flight.

I think they mean tickets that look like the very large version of a movie ticket... they no longer look like this...

https://lindseyappiah.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/plane-ticket.jpg

the ticket is basically the proof of who you are [along with id] and proof that you paid and are supposed to be on this flight.

now they look like this...
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5175/5526345753_4a49f8152a_b.jpg

and if you print them out from the computer they are basically that but on copier paper. and if you get them from the kiosk while checking in, they come out on receipt paper. and you can have them on your phone which is something I don't understand. but that barcode or scanned square is still there.

Oh God. Fortune vomits on my eiderdown once more.

Instead of Alice eating it up when the delivery guy called her "sweetheart, gorgeous", etc. she would have filed a multi million dollar harassment lawsuit against his employer.

During the measles episode where both family doctors visit the house. Doctors never make house calls anymore.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.