The Brady Bunch : By Far The Dumbest Episode Of The Show

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: By Far The Dumbest Episode Of The Show

Robert Reed was in the Oliver the Jinx episode. He was not in the orange rabbit one which is sad because that was the finale and the one in which Greg graduated.

He was in the episode, but he was not in the pie fight scene. It sounds like him, from what I have read about him, that he would refuse to participate in that scene.

Season 5 episode of Cindy and the Shirley Temple plot. Jan did have some bad shows, but they were not as bad as the Cindy season 5 show. To this day, the people including Susan acknowledge this.

II Corr. 5:7

"For we walk by faith, not by sight. ..."

The worst episode ever was the one in which Peter had a double. It was just too silly.

Kellys Kids was horrible.No wonder it did not get picked up as a series.Plus-they lived next door but were never seen again.

Also the one with Buddy Hinton teasing Cindy and beating up Peter-would not Greg have stepped in?

Buddy woulda whooped Greg's scrawny arse.

I don't think it was that bad. It was just a pilot so the actual show may have been better or worse.
I don't believe they lived next door to the Bradys. The Kelly's lived by that crabby lady that worried about children moving into her neighborhood which makes me believe the six Brady kids didn't live by her.

I think the Bradys lived next to the Dentmeyers.

Kellys Kids was horrible.No wonder it did not get picked up as a series.Plus-they lived next door but were never seen again.

I've actually never minded this episode.

Six kids come home from school with the measles on the SAME DAY. Mom, Dad, and housekeeper wait head-over-hands on them (even providing them with bells and whistles in case they need assistance!!). The parents feud over which pediatrician should be used for the long term. FINALLY, the ingenious conclusion of having two pediatricians saves the day.

He who conquers himself is mightier than he who conquers a city.

Yeah, the measle episode was terrible- three adults running around like chickens with their heads cut off to wait on bratty, demanding kids. Maybe it was supposed to be funny, but it wasn't. Especially the part with Greg and his extreme rudeness over the lunch- "give it to a king and get me some bologna!"... that's something a 3 year old might say right before a much deserved spanking. And the drama over which doctor to choose when the solution was obvious from the start.

"Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs." Plain embarrassing to watch for so many reasons.

I liked that episode (Although I liked ALL the episodes where Carol brefilty) had that big bubble buffont wig ), my only problem w/ this particular episode was according to the bord they were putting togethere Jan was the ONLY one who had the chicken pox

Post deleted

I actually thought "Lost Locket, Found Locket" was sweet--despite its ridiculous parts mentioned in the OP! Like Jan *SHRIEKING* as if she's being attacked, and the parents just act like, oh, poor Jan, she lost her locket. I'd have had a heart attack if my daughter woke me up like that one night...and it turned out to be over a lost locket.

Anyway, in my opinion, the hands-down worst episode was the Cindy/Shirley Temple nonsense. So embarrassing...I cringe just thinking about how humiliated poor Susan must have felt at the time.

Some close runners-up: the idiotic hair tonic episode, anything with Cousin Oliver in it, the spin-off [with the adopted kids] that [luckily] never happened, the Mike/Carol grandparents one, and I know there are more but I can't think of them right now.

--

http://www.CaliforniaDreamsPhotography.com
@CaliDreamsPhoto

Jan in that funky black wig was one of my favorite scenes in the show. However I didn't care for Eve Plumb's stilted delivery of her lines sometimes. There are occasions where she sounds almost British and it's distracting.

Wherever you go, there you are.

"I actually thought "Lost Locket, Found Locket" was sweet"

That episode was sweet. Loved how happy Jan was to finally receive a gift.

Jan was my favorite Brady. She was the glue. She was the middle girl and the most emotional. Eve Plumb was a good actress and prettier than Marcia, Marcia, Marcia.

One of the dumbest episodes was when The Bunch visited a movie studio then got to have a pie fight. Robert Reed hated the script so much he refused to participate in the pie fight. Cousin Oliver was in that episode. Life really imitated art with Oliver. The show got canceled soon after he joined the cast. He really was a jinx.

Agreed. I HATE the pie fight.

Much of season 5:

Cindy as Shirley Temple.
Sam da Butcher is an enemy spy.
The UFO one where the Air Force commander comes to the Brady home.
The orange hair.

The Mark Millard one where a professional swindler is scamming on a housekeeper who doesn't even have a home of her own. She dumps Sam right away in favor of some doofus she knew years ago suddenly showing up.

And Alice's cousin Emma coming to take care of the BB while Alice goes out of town. A stay-at-home mom with six older kids (not babies and toddlers) to split the chores can't maintain a household for a few days? They need a babysitter??

The UFO episode, the one with the grandparents, Kelly's Kids, and the Snow White episode. If I recall correctly, it didn't look like there were a lot of people in the audience for that Snow White play.

Eve Plumb was a good actress and prettier than Marcia, Marcia, Marcia.

She was an ok actress in the beginning and middle of the series but for whatever reason went downhill toward the end. People go on about how terrible the Shirley Temple episode is but rarely touch on Plumb's acting in it.

Post deleted

To the original poster, if someone sent you a piece of jewelry with no return address, I guarantee you that you'd care. In fact you wouldn't be able to take your mind off of it.

As for my vote on dumbest episode, I haven't seen some of them mentioned here but I don't think the locket episode was that dumb, however it did have that over the top scene where Jan lost it and she's screaming in the middle of the night like she just woke up and found Cindy lying dead on the floor. If I had been awakened by such a thing in the middle of the night over something that trivial I would have probably cussed the kid out and told her to shut the hell up until morning.

I think the dumbest episodes were:

The Grandparents

Peter's Double- Again, Peter finds an exact twin and nobody thinks a damned thing about it.

The episode where Oliver comes to stay. (Ridiculous excuse to have a kid come stay with them...his parents didn't want him in South America? WTF?)

I'm watching an old episode of The Brady Bunch, it's the one where Jan has a problem.

"however it did have that over the top scene where Jan lost it and she's screaming in the middle of the night like she just woke up and found Cindy lying dead in the floor."

That line just made my day. I will be giggling all day. Thank you!!

That is an interesting observation because I think most fans consider Bobby and Jan to be the two most emotionally needy Bradys.

[b]WHATEVER. Bobby is horrible.

Jan is the best character. SHe's like Meg from 'family guy' No respect.

I hate episodes that revolve around the others. Jan is the outcast. She's better in my opinion.

Victims..Aren't we all?

The worst episodes for me are Peter with low confidence saying pork chops and applesauce and sergeant Emma. Having to see double of Ann B. Davis was too much for me.

For me, it was when Bobby challgened Grag a chin up contest, and Greg LOSES, then Bobby invites his self on Greg and Rachel's date ! and Mike and Carol back up Bobby, I mean come one, thought it IS Greg's fault for not spelling out certain rules

I do like the soap detergent commercial episode

and because of Peter's Pork Chops and apple sauce remark to this day when ever I fix Pork chops for dinner I HAVE to HAVE apple sauce for deasert

The "Jesse James" episode was over dramatic and contrived. Bobby seemed a little too old to be playing with cap guns and idolizing Jesse James.

The script for the "Bobby's Hero" had an expiration date just like "The Snooperstar" episode when a twwelve year old Cindy wanted to be a six year old Shirley Temple.

I liked the locket episode. I cringed at the episodes when they sang, Bobby: "Can't you dig the sunshine..."

Your Bobby/Jan rule is intriguing. Semi-trailer trucks are popularly known as eighteen wheelers. The Brady cast were nine wheels. And I thought Jan and Bobby were the two front wheels.

I actually find the opposite to be true...

any episode with bobby will be bad. just because he was a weird actor. didn't know how to act or what to do.

jan... she was the only one who acted naturally in terms of how a middle child should act and could feel. middle children are often pushed to the wayside because their older/younger siblings are so wonderful/so cute [so nauseating!].

I still say the dumbest episode is the one with deep southing the grandparents into marrying each other. I didn't have much a problem with Robert and Florence playing the grandparents but to have them marry each other??? gross!

break out the dueling banjos!

OH THANK YOU GOD! THANK YOU SO BLOODY MUCH!!! Basil Fawlty

The most lame episodes of BB involved the actors playing different characters such as the grandparents, Peter's double and Alice's cousin Emma. These episodes were not funny in the least and just plain stupid.

I often wondered why Reed and Henderson played, Mike and Carol's grandparents, they looked like they should have been their parents.

If Mike's grandfather married Carol's grandmother wouldn't that make Mike and Carol first cousins?

With all due respect, there are A LOT of episodes to chose from. I think a lot of the stupidity came from Sherwood Schwartz not wanting any serialization of the show. I think the writers took liberties to make each episode a self contained nugget.

Career Fever was pretty lame.

I read that the final episode (or at least one of the last ones) involving that hokey 'hair tonic' (remember Greg's hair turning orange?) was boycotted by Robert Reed. He flat-out refused to appear in it, because he found the premise too dumb.

I thought the episode where Alice leaves and then comes back, "Goodbye Alice, Hello" was kind of dumb. The kids got mad at her for such petty reasons. Not to mention the record player Marcia used actually belonged to Alice.

Post deleted

I love Alice but Sgt. Emma still sucks.

For me it was: Any episode with CYNDI was going to be bad! When I was Bobby and Peters age and watching the show, I didn't want to see an episode about a little girl losing her doll, or a little girl playing a fairy princess in the school play, or Cyndi tattling or Cyndi Pretending to be Shirley Temple---UGGGH! Every Cyndi episode sucked!

The Jan episodes were the BEST! They were great because she WAS such a TRAINWRECK!

the fairy prunsus?

Oh God. Fortune vomits on my eiderdown once more.

The dentist episode, Shirley Temple and the Grandparents episode are the worst for me.

I forgot I had answered this thread... years ago.. hahaha!!!

I liked the locket episode except for that ridiculous "OHHH NOOOO!" insanely screamed in the dead of night. I always get teary eyed at the end when Alice is revealed to be the one to give Jan the locket. An excellent scene.

Worst episodes for me are the Grandparents, Snow White and "Kelly's Kids." I NEVER watch the grandparent one or "Kelly's Kids", but still occasionally watch "Snow White." I must be some kind of masochist, but not a truly desperate one.

I must also defend "The Snooperstar" (Shirley Temple) episode. I find that one to be so bad, it's good. Even Oliver is tolerable in it. That's the only one with Oliver that I DO like. The Sam as spy episode was very stupid.

I hate Oliver and try not to watch the other ones he is in. That movie studio/pie fight is horrendous. Can't blame Robert Reed for not being in that awful scene. Only good part is when they all gang up on Oliver and he gets hit with 8 pies at once. Maybe also seeing Marcia get a pie in the face.

"Peter's Double" or whatever it's called is pretty bad too, but I'll still watch it. What I do hate about it is that they have the exact same hair and voice.

Peter's retarded friends not liking him because he's playing Benedict Arnold is beyond stupid. "All the kids booing and hissing me." Hissing? Weird. My pet bird hisses at me when he's mad, especialy when I take his cover off in the morning (so cute), but I never heard a person hiss. Anyone?

Post deleted

and George Washington too

They're treating Peter like crap because he's playing a part in the play.

I remember being in some school plays where kids were given the business because they played an unpopular or an embarrassing part. Kid's don't need much of a reason to pick on one another. Preemptively picking on someone else is the best defense for getting picked on.