The Brady Bunch : By Far The Dumbest Episode Of The Show

Re: By Far The Dumbest Episode Of The Show

The worst episode I have seen so far is the one with Aunt Jenny. It was boring beyond belief.

I haven't seen the locket, the grandparents or the Benedict Arnold episodes yet, so my answer might change.

I'm going to watch the locket episode sometime today.

Oh wow, I dont even know. While there are lots of good eps theres lots of bad ones too. I was never crazy about the Hawaii episode or the Grand Canyon episode. Bobby, Peter and Greg getting stuck in the cave was beyond stupid to me.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

The 'funny' thing is I love the first two parts of the Hawaii episodes...and then we have Vincent Price holding under-age boys captive in a cave! And MR BRADY FORGIVES HIM! Honestly. The 70s werent THAT laid back!

Visit My Website:
LIVING IN THE PAST
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6spdi/index.html

Well he did say to him, "you have a lot of explaining to do!!". Stern words like that from Mr. Mike Brady would have come in handy during the first OJ Simpson trial.

He who conquers himself is mightier than he who conquers a city.

I thought the Locket episode was weak elso. But, I have to say, Jan in that one really makes me think of Margaret (from Judyy Blume's "Are you there God? It's me Margaret" j

Post deleted

I love the randomness of the Donkey Mask.

It was pretty evil looking.

Bobby probably had an altar to Baal where he traded his soul for a trophy.

I think Bobby wanted to hid his tears with that mask.

This is not a particular episode, but the whole running theme of the blending of the families, and the boys/girls behaving as if they are truly blood related and very little mention of their real mother/father.

I could understand with Bobby/Cindy because they were so young, but the older kids to just effortlessly fall into the one happy family routine just does not seem realistic.

This is not a particular episode, but the whole running theme of the blending of the families, and the boys/girls behaving as if they are truly blood related and very little mention of their real mother/father.

I could understand with Bobby/Cindy because they were so young, but the older kids to just effortlessly fall into the one happy family routine just does not seem realistic.
The parents falls into it as well. The worst is in the "Where There's Smoke" episode. Mike hears Greg rehearsing his "Clowns Never Laughed" song and comments to Carol that Greg has some talent, and Carol replies, "Well, he gets it from my side of the family." Um, say what? Greg is not your biological son Carol, you moron.

Mike hears Greg rehearsing his "Clowns Never Laughed" song and comments to Carol that Greg has some talent, and Carol replies, "Well, he gets it from my side of the family." Um, say what? Greg is not your biological son Carol, you moron.

Yeah, I bust on that every time I see it.

"They killed The Giggler, man! They killed The Giggler!"

That UFO episode was awful but I always have to laugh when I see it . When I was a Sophomore in High School, some nerdy kid in one of my classes wanted to impress the girl sitting next to him and told her that he had done the UFO thing to his brothers . Unfortunately for him, she had also seen the episode and called him on it. By the end of the day, the entire school had heard about it and called the guy Greg Brady for the next 2 years.

I'd say the grandparents episode was dumb but the hair tonic was kinda dumber too, then Shirley Temple episode.

Shirley Temple should have been a first or second season episode not a fifth. I don't mind Kelly's Kids although I missed seeing alot of the Bradys in it. The grandparents episode isn't my favorite either. My all time worst is the BeBe Gallini episode in season 1. It seems so un Brady like with Mike goo gooing over BeBe.

One episode I might add to this list is the one where Cindy's class was doing a school play, and she could only invite one parent due to limited space in the auditorium. Then, after Cindy goes through this big emotional quandary over which parent to bring, they do the play for the entire Brady Family - and no one else.

That has always bothered me. If the cast is willing to perform the play a second time, why not invite the family members of the other children who were unable to attend the over-crowded performance.

"What do you want me to do, draw a picture? Spell it out!"

Rumour has it that the Shirley Temple episode was writen for during the second season, but was rejected by Sherwood Schwartz-so they shelved it. However in the fith season, they got behind and had to get an episode ready before the deadline-so they dusted off the Shirley Temple script and used it for the episode. I don't know if this true or not.

Yes, I do agree-it was the worst episode of the series. Even Susan Olsen thinks so!

I happen to dislike Archie Bunker with great passion and conviction

Jay

Face it, all of the episodes are dumb!

Several of the dumbest episodes are my favorites, too! I love "Lost Locket, Found Locket". It is completely ridiculous that the whole family would indulge Jan in that way.

I think more than a few of those episodes 'featuring Bobby' are boring.

"The Slumber Party" is my favorite Brady episode. I distinctly remember watching that particular episode in first run and it's been my favorite since then.

"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

My all time worst is the BeBe Gallini episode in season 1. It seems so un Brady like with Mike goo gooing over BeBe.

This is actually a top-five favorite of mine, ha.

"They didn't mean any harm."
"Neither did Frankenstein."

AZ, which is lamer, trying to pull a UFO scam, claiming to pull a UFO scam, or letting people know that you are sophomore and watch The Brady Bunch. Did the kid say "goovy" and "far out" a lot?

Ohh...lots and lots of moments as well as whole episodes to choose from...My faves were:

The trading stamps!? When I was a kid we would laugh at anyone who collected them for years just to buy some toaster or...even cooler...a sewing machine.

Peter's twin...(sigh)...where do you start with this one? Couldn't they have at least given him a different haircut? The Peter Fro must have been the haircut to have in 1973... trivia about that episode. Pamela, the niece of Mike's boss, was played by the same girl that played Violet Beauregard in the original Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory. Good times...oh, and why did his twin just disappear after one episode? Why not develop that relationship? If I found someone who looked just like me I think he would come in handy for future pranks and ploys.

When Bobby kept asking why "no one says goodbye anymore" when they leave the house? Yeah, cuz when I was 6 that was the number one thing on my mind.

Why explain when Marcia gets braces but not Bobby or Cindy? Are they no better?

Ahh, memories...

mikeoverall.blogspot.com

Wow, I did not know that she also played Violet in Willy Wonka. That is cool!

Wow, I did not know that she also played Violet in Willy Wonka. That is cool!

Whoa! I didn't know that either!

Totally agree.

I think it was during the Miss Popularity episode, but essentially, Jan asks Peter to not date this girl who is a contender for the title or something and she uses the phrase 'Blood is thicker than water' to help persuade him and it's like...what?

I'm not too keen on the one where the woman adopts the three boys. Series spinoffs within another series just don't work (a.k.a. the 'Empty Nest' episode of Golden Girls).

UofLCardFan08
http://www.youtube.com/UofLCardFan08

Series spinoffs within another series just don't work (a.k.a. the 'Empty Nest' episode of Golden Girls).

Yeah, but a series called "Empty Nest" did materialize after it was rewritten with Richard Mulligan's doctor character and his three daughters. The neighbor played by the Joe Isuzu guy was part of the original episode which had Rita Moreno and Paul Dooley as married couple and was scheduled to begin as a series in the fall of 1987. The newly written version with Mulligan began the following fall.

An episode of "The Facts of Life" with Tootie's Aunt Sylvia and her husband Brian (played by Richard Dean Anderson before "MacGyver) was a pilot for spinoff that never materialized. A spinoff featuring David Spade was rumored to take place after FOL ended its run in 1988, with Blair was the new head mistress of her old school that she had turned into a co-ed school in the final episode. (Seth Green played one of the new students). Again, this never happened. I believe "Facts of Life" had one or two other episodes that were supposed to be pilots for spinoff shows that never got made.

The one where Greg writes that BS paper about wanting to be an architect. Total snoozer!!

The Grandparents
BeBe
Hair Tonic
Soap Commercial
Cousin Oliver
Peter's Double
Cindy can only take one parent to her play

You're kidding right? Although I wouldn't put it on my top 10 list it's by far not the WORST episode of the series. In fact that episode has one of the BEST moments from the series alone, and that's when Jan learns the identity of who had given her that locket & why they had gave her that locket. I loved that moment because it was so incredibly rare in the series to see Jan actually get someone else's attention & love without her making a fool of herself in the process. Being the middle child Jan had always felt so incredibly lonely & misunderstood, and because of people not getting her the character had came off as a total spaz and has become something of a Meg Griffin (technically the original in fact), laughingstock, joke character amongst pop culture. The person who gave Jan that locket let her know that she's not alone in this world, that she has a kindred spirit out there, and that someone actually does empathize with her & truly understand her.

Bed Intruder Song sung by Andrew Garfield: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuY92Jwrppg

Jan sucks.

"Mr. Bond, you defy all my attempts to plan an amusing death for you."

For me, the dumbest episode was the one where the family mistakenly thought that Alice and Sam were going to elope. The reason I pick this one is because it contains the dumbest scene ever of that series: lazy stay at home Carol could not go even a week without a housekeeper, so a potential candidate from an employment agency stopped by the house to introduce herself.

Carol thought Alice had left to run an errand or go shopping, but, Alice came back in because she forgot something. Carol was put on the spot because she did not know how to explain this woman to Alice so she went off on a stupid story saying that this was an old friend of the family and made statements up as she went along. The poor woman thought Carol was nuts, and rightfully so. She did the best thing anyone could have done and got out of there right away.

I am sorry, but Carol was an idiot in that scene and Florence Henderson over acted, was over dramatic there.

Yes, that's an awful scene, and Florence does ham it up, but she hams her way through the entire fifth season so it's not much of a surprise.

and not least of which just how was Alice going to do the errrand it's implied that she KNEW how to drive and !

The 'Dear Libby' episode is a chore to watch.

Basically, the kids try and be good and there are plenty of scenes showing them, well, doing chores.

And then Dear Libby herself, a nationally syndicated columnist flies in to visit at the end.

The whole episode is less interesting than watching paint dry.

Mike's Horror-Scope. I found Beebe Gallini very irritating and odd.

I thought she was hot.

Her male secretary was a little odd.... but in a funny way.

Post deleted

While I agree the Shirley Temple episode was the worst (Susan was way too old for that one) I am sitting here watching the tonsillitis episode and the writers apparently knew nothing about tonsillitis. To show Cindy getting sick she sneezes? Nope a cold isn't the same as tonsillitis! Then Carol tells her "when you get them out you won't have colds anymore" WHAT???? We weren't that stupid in the 70's! That sounds more like thinking from The Little House on the Prairie era!.
And they just HAD to have it done this week.....Like it was emergency surgery. Stupid writing.

I know. I too was always baffled by Mom Brady telling Cindy she would have no more colds after getting her tonsils out. Who wrote this script?

Also the early episode when Marcia got braces, Mike asked Carol what happened at the dentist and she replied that "they put braces on her". Ridiculous as they don't put braces on the first or even second dental visit. It doesn't happen that fast.

And then the braces were gone by the next episode!

Actually, it's not that impossible. I got braces put on without it even scheduled...but that's more frequently common nowadays than back then, probably.

_______
Yes, that's me...Little miss Lee...

Eve Plumb, Mike Lookinland and Susan Olsen all got real braces. And their braces were never mentioned on the show.

The "Shirley Temple" one was pretty bad. About six years too late (The show only lasted five years). Poor Susan Olson was going through puberty and she had to act like a five year old. More scars, more scars...

Wherever you go, there you are.

That episode reminded me of the movie "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?".

That's a good one jefgg
Wherever you go, there you are.

Also the early episode when Marcia got braces, Mike asked Carol what happened at the dentist and she replied that "they put braces on her".

And her braces kept moving up and down.

Not mention the notion that Carol thought it was OK to talk right after having a tonsillectomy as long as you grit your teeth when you do.

I agree with many of the previous posts. I didn't like the grandparents episode and having Cindy as Shirley Temple in the fifth season when Susan Olsen was like 27 was a bit much. What does surprise me is the lack of episode nominations that show what crappy parents Mike and Carol were.

The first one that comes to mind is the one where Peter has been spying on all of his brothers and sisters with his tape recorder and telling them that he knows their secrets. This gets all the siblings mad at each other until they find out who is behind it. Mike can Carol give Peter a nice "talking to" and that's it. No other punishment! Greg and Marcia think this is crap and rightfully so. What do they do? They test him by talking about how their parents are going to throw Peter a surprise party. Since that dumbass is still listening in on conversations (way to not punish him there, parents), he actually believes he is getting a party. Then, Mike and Carol find out about what Marcia and Greg did, get mad at them, and actually throw Peter the freakin' party? So what valuable lesson did we learn? If you spy on your siblings, lie to your parents and say you will stop, and then continue to do so, you will get a party.

I want to be a Brady.