The Brady Bunch : By Far The Dumbest Episode Of The Show

By Far The Dumbest Episode Of The Show

My family and I have what we call The Bobby/Jan Rule. The rule is two-fold:

1) Any episode about Bobby is guaranteed to be good

2) Any episode about Jan is guaranteed to be bad

"Lost Locket, Found Locket" may take the cake for most painfully bad show of the entire series. Okay, Jan gets a locket without a return address or anything. Who the hell cares? But then the entire family goes crazy doing investigations to try and figure out who sent it. Who cares?! And then Jan loses the locket and wakes up SHRIEKING "OH NO! OH NO! OH NO!" If I were the parents and I thought my daugher was being murdered and I burst into her room to discover she'd merely lost a locket, I would have been so pissed. Then the whole family goes to great lengths to re-enact the night of the crime. WHAT?! WHO CARES?! By far the worst episode of the whole show, and it's a shame Jan couldn't have walked off a cliff before Season 2 came along.

"I've flown this route before."
"When was that?"
"IT WAS ON THE WINGS OF A DEMON!"

Re: By Far The Dumbest Episode Of The Show

No, the dumbest episode is the on where Cindy Brady thought she could be the new Shirley Temple and sang "Good Ship Lollypop".

LOL i think Susan Oleson (Cindy) would agree with that. She has mentioned that was the most humiliating experience in her life.

No, the dumbest episode is the on where Cindy Brady thought she could be the new Shirley Temple and sang "Good Ship Lollypop".

While the episode definitely comes along a few years too late, I actually enjoy it for its inclusion of Natalie Schafer.

I'm guessing you've seen maybe five episodes of the whole series.

When Robert Reed and Florence Henderson played the grandparents?
Worst.
Episode.
EVER!

Visit My Website:
LIVING IN THE PAST
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6spdi/index.html

"When Robert Reed and Florence Henderson played the grandparents?
Worst.
Episode.
EVER!"

Yes! That and the Kelly kids episode were horrible. I refuse to watch either one ever again. I also hated seeing Cindy at 12 or 13 years old wanting to be Shirley Temple. Ugh...

I own the shaggy carpet boxed set and I've watched every episode numerous times. "Lost Locket, Found Locket" is the worst. I'd happily watch any Cousin Oliver episode over this one.

"When was that?"

Hey B-B...you said you'd watch any Cousin Oliver episode over the "Lost Locket, Found Locket" episode...do you remember when Bobby was trying to call his dad at work when they thought Sam was a spy and Oliver made a remark that he wished they had a push-button phone? It makes me think that Oliver came from a household that did have one. The time frame of that episode was around 1974, and I was 6 going on 7 years old then. We had our first push-button phone when we moved into a house that had one. Before that, I'd never even seen one...only rotary phones.

"I'd be very happy to be myself if I could remember who I am. Who am I?"

Im thinking it over. Maybe the grandparents ep wasnt the STUPIDEST . That WOULD be Shirley Temple. But the grandparents one was the lamest. I am a Brady ENTHUSIAST and I almost always skip that one. Bad Bad Bad!

I do agree the Jan Locket one is dumb though. First of all the whole family goes ape *beep* trying to solve all these mysteries with the locket (going so far as "re-enacting" the night befor which includes not letting Bobby spit out toothpaste. Second of all , Alice -WHO SENT THE LOCKET - LETS them run around all the while KNOWING who sent the locket. She even drags ass down to Mr Bradys officwe with mrs Brady , KNOWING the whole time who sent the locket! Its like Alice is lying to the Bradys by withholding information!

Another thing that bugs me is that at the end "Jan" very clearly flubs her line (the one about the totem pole) and they kept it in. Its very awkward. They should have just shot that scene again.

Visit My Website:
LIVING IN THE PAST

The Snow White and the Seven Dwarves one was the dumbest episode ever for me. How stupid that in a bustling small city in southern CA they couldn't find anywhere to have the play except in the Bradys' back yard. What about a local church or something? And how only the Bradys and Sam and Alice were in the play...how narcissistic! And then when Sam and Mr. Brady go to the store to buy an apple for Snow White to bite into and the cop gets tough and mouthy with them because they're dressed weird...dude, you are a cop in southern CA--greater LA, no less, AND in the '70s no less-- and you haven't seen people dressed up in strange or theatrical clothing before? And why did they go to the store dressed like that anyway? Mr. Brady was supposed to be a well regarded architect and Sam was a popular local businessman, why would they go out in public dressed like Prince Charming and a dwarf??? THAT was by far the dumbest episode, IMHO.

Granted, the locket episode isn't great. But there are a lot of good Jan stories, like "Her Sister's Shadow", "Will the Real Jan Brady Please Stand Up", "Marcia Gets Creamed" and "Miss Popularity". And I can think of a lot of Bobby duds, like the one where he obsesses over his height or the one where he and Oliver think Sam is an FBI agent, or the one where becomes a pool shark.

Bobby is brilliant and could light up anything.

"When was that?"

I personally loved that specific Jan episode. I hated that episode where Bobby thinks he's a loser at everything. But I'm biased because I love Jan.

"A bomb in the lasagna?! Great Scott!"

I will always vote for Cindy being Shirley Temple...it is so horrible its painful to watch!!

Bobby is the BEST!!!!

I'm already gone....
After what you put me through..I ain't that lonely yet

But there are a lot of good Jan stories

Oh, most definitely! One of my favorite episodes is the "Her Sister's Shadow." Who can forget the ever-so-whiney "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia?!" lol I love it!

Committed at 22 just to get over you
My belly aches blue, Lorazepam flu

Eve Plumb was a natural. You can tell she is having fun in a lot of episodes, a real scene stealer!

The grandparents one was worse...

I guess they couldn't find anyone to play the grandparents. LOL

When Robert Reed and Florence Henderson played the grandparents?
Worst.
Episode.
EVER!

I completely agree. I hated that episode.

Committed at 22 just to get over you
My belly aches blue, Lorazepam flu

Right. Carol's parents, who were shown in the pilot, looked too old to be the son or daughter of the "Connie Hutchins" character.

Reed played a 90 year old man very convincingly, but, the character of Carol's grandmother was not realistic. She would have been in her 80's or 90's and certainly would not have been wearing high heels or shooting baskets.

Jan's locket epi is definitely in the top 10 of lousy episodes but I don't agree that all Jan episodes are lousy. Others have mentioned worst episodes.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Post deleted

I like the Bobby episode, "The winner".

That donkey mask freaks me out!

I've always lived my life by the rule:
"If you get, you give. "

Yeah. He looks like he should be in that movie THE WICKERMAN! hahaha!

Visit My Website:
LIVING IN THE PAST

It's as if he's so eager to win a trophy that he's willing to sell his soul to Ba'al!

I've always lived my life by the rule:
"If you get, you give. "

I may have changed my mind. The episode where Peter plays Benedict Arnold in a play.....and none of his friends will talk to him. I mean, what? They do realize that it's a play, right? They do realize that someone needs to play Arnold? Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

"When was that?"

Definitely not the worst episode; I thought it had some nice touches (such
as Bobby not spitting out his toothpaste in order to add some verisimilitude
to the re-enactment of the crime), but I have to cringe at Jan's hammy
delivery of this line: "My beautiful little locket! Gone.......as mysteriously
as it came!"

I'm not crying, you fool, I'm laughing!

Post deleted

Peter's double is my least favorite.

I like the lost locket episode if for no other reason that the scene between Jan and Alice at the end. I loved Alice.

I don't mind the Shirley Temple ep because it has Natalie Schaefer from Gilligan's Island in it.

I'll toss in the ep where the boys find that careless old coot's wallet -- hey Pops, ever hear of traveller's checks -- and the gals insist they have a claim on a portion of it.

Huh?!

"Any and all threatening, obscene or harassing PMs I receive will be immediately reported."

A few comments before I announce what I think is the dumbest episode:

1) While it's stupid that the family went to such great lengths to figure ou twho sent Jan the locket, it was no dumber than the family going to such great lengths to help Marcia meet Davy Jones and Bobby meet Joe Namath. If I had told my friends I knew a celebrity that I didn't, my parents would have let me learn a lesson about lying. Not been on the phone calling around to try to get the person or even trying to make reservations at the hotel where they are staying.

2)Peter's friends acting mad at him for playing Benedict Arnold wasn't as weird as the whole play about the Revololution seeming to center on that character.

3)The girls thinking they deserved half of the the money the boys found was dumb, but the parents taking their side was dumber. Mike used the example that he shared his money with his wife. Well, you're the father, you should. If one of the kids got an after school job would they be expected to share their paycheck with the other 5 kids?

To me the dumbest episode is the one with Bee Bee Galini. Just such a stupid character and the kids were barely in the episode.

Another one is where Greg tricks Peter and Bobby into thinking there is a UFO in the backyard. Somehow he rigged up a screen in the backyard, connected wires to it from his room and yet none of the other 8 people living in the house saw him do all this or noticed the wires going from his bedroom window to the middle of the backyard. And what kind of flashlight can you shine on a sheet that looks just like a UFO? And what whistle can you buy that sounds like that? It was as if Greg built an elaborate movie set in the yard and nobody caught it. Ridiculous.

I second that one. Marsha worried that her bracelet would knock it down. A perfect solution. "Take the Bracelet off, Marsha!!!"" grrrrr lol

Watching Marcia holding back her dangling bracelet (consumed with stress), during the card house contest, has always perplexed me. She really jeopardized the girls’ chances of winning over the boys. For what...a bejeweled wrist? Good grief!

I don’t know if I would call this episode the dumbest ever, but certainly one of the dumbest Brady moments. However, it certainly made for great television drama! Lol! Marcia, Marcia, Marcia, remove the bracelet!!!

Nobody has yet mentioned my candidate for worst episode. It's "The Hair-Brained Scheme." I can definitely understand why Robert Reed refused to appear in it. It's an embarrassing ending to an otherwise terrific and classic TV program.

I have always likes that episode

Move, and I'll sock ya one!

Nobody has yet mentioned my candidate for worst episode. It's "The Hair-Brained Scheme." I can definitely understand why Robert Reed refused to appear in it. It's an embarrassing ending to an otherwise terrific and classic TV program.

Definitely one of the sillier episodes of an already-silly series, but I actually still enjoy it.

I love the randomness of the Donkey Mask.

I guess Donkeys "Always eat popcorn" too, as we learned about Bobby when they were in Hawaii

Hasn't anyone thought about that episode where one of the boys (Bobby?) has to be a Sunflower girl??? Very painful to watch and very thin premise.

It's hard to believe that Robert Reed had issues with the unrealistic notion that hair tonic could make someone's hair orange, yet he was in the episode about Peter's identical twin stranger.

It's hard to believe that Robert Reed had issues with the unrealistic notion that hair tonic could make someone's hair orange, yet he was in the episode about Peter's identical twin stranger.

Have you read "Growing Up Brady" by Barry Williams?

Hilarious, the part about "The Orange Hair War." Barry managed to get his hands on the angry memo Robert fired off to the show's creators, detailing point by point why he would not appear in "The Hair Brained Scheme." He mentions the "doppleganger" episode and the "Shirley Temple" episode. I think the hair tonic thing was the last straw for him. The show was getting so dumb he didn't want to be in it anymore. Who knows, if the show had gone into a sixth season, Sherwood might have given Robert his wish.

The Falcon flies

WORST EPISODES:

1.) Grandparents come to visit
2.) Tank Gates Episode
3.) The Shirley Temple One
4.) Cousin Oliver coming to visit and that stupid pie fight sequence. No wonder Robert Reed wanted out of that scene!
5.) The whole Safe vs. Best laundry soap big deal and Skip Farnum! Almost as bad as Tank Gates!

Tank Gates makes me want to vomit!

I think all the other episodes are very good, even though I can live without the Tiger/Fluffy chase sequence in the pilot episode.

Joe

I agree with you about Tank Gates, but apart from his scenes (which were rather brief), the episode itself was pretty good. That's when the quarterback from the rival school tried to steal Greg's playbook.

even though I can live without the Tiger/Fluffy chase sequence in the pilot episode.

I don't like the chase itself so much as the humor that comes as a result of it. Alice yelling "Sit!" and the man next to her sitting down. Tiger leaping over the large woman. I love these moments.

Post deleted

There are some episodes I hated but they're not dumb. There was one that is so dumb is the one where Mike and Carol switched roles and Mike cooked in the kitchen and Carol taught the boys how to play baseball. WTF! And then their whole bodies were soooooooooooooooooo sore from those activities. Gimme a break. I loved it when Alice went back and forth really fast.

http://www.tengaged.com/user/capguy1/thanks

I loved it when Alice went back and forth really fast.

"Alice, what's good about it?"

Post deleted