Two-Lane Blacktop : Existential angst so thick you could cut it with a knife

Existential angst so thick you could cut it with a knife

Yeah, it's an ultimately hopeless struggle against the Man, with his factory-built GTO and his sweaters, and the lies he tells everyone he meets. What was it about the late 60s and early 70s that brought out such a streak of nihilism? I guess (having lived through the era as a wee one) it was the disappointment that the great counterculture movement of the 60s didn't really fundamentally change the world after all. I also blame Godard, not really because it's his fault but just because I like to blame stuff on him.

Re: Existential angst so thick you could cut it with a knife

Plus the Vietnam war, the incident at the Altamont concert, the Manson Family murders, the Kent State college protest that turned super ugly, and the assassinations of not only John and Robert Kennedy, but also Martin Luther King. The 1960's was a decade full of great turmoil that spilled over into the early 1970's.

Warren Oates died for our sins.

Re: Existential angst so thick you could cut it with a knife

vietnam vietnam watergate watergate ugh enough

it was an era where directors could bring their easter philosophy to the screen and do what they WANTED to do. directors ruled then. that's it.

the protesters of the war, if they were all THAT serious they wouldn't have been on drugs 24/7 during it. they used that as an excuse to get loaded.

www.cultfilmfreaks.com