Audio Equipment and Home Theater Audio : question about bare wire/plug in adapter

question about bare wire/plug in adapter

i bought a receiver for my surround sound speakers and my subwoofer. the receiver had entries for bare wires for the speakers but not the subwoofer. i bought two plugs that i connected the + and - wires to, but the entry in the receiver for the sub only allows for one plug in. does anyone know what i need now?

Re: question about bare wire/plug in adapter

The receiver probably expects that the subwoofer is self-powered, so it won't have an amplifier for the sub. If you have a powered sub, then you need a long RCA to RCA cable.

If your subwoofer is unpowered (passive), you need a separate amplifier. The cheapest way to make this happen is to scrounge up an old stereo receiver or integrated amp from the basement, a thrift store or yard sale, plug the "sub out" from the receiver into left aux in, and connect the sub speaker cable to the Left speaker terminals on the receiver.

"you're out looking for kicks, and somebody starts passing out the weaponised hallucinogensÂ…"