Audio Equipment and Home Theater Audio : Bose V20 any good? Worth $2000?

Bose V20 any good? Worth $2000?

I love the bose sound but is it worth it for wireless great sound??? Anyone have it?

Re: Bose V20 any good? Worth $2000?

In a word, no.

The short story is that you will end missing at least 45% of all the entire musical spectrum. For movies, voices will be coming out of the subwoofer.

then how and why do they cost so much? Any other suggestions for a wireless (preferably) home theater?

It's all marketing. It's well know within the audio circles about Bose and the frequency range.

I believe Pioneer has wireless.

thanks for the help

It's all marketing. It's well know within the audio circles about Bose and the frequency range.

That is fact. All those commercials, that is much of what you pay for, they have to pay for them and they pass that saving on to you.

That said, If your ears like Bose, listen to it and see if you like it, if so buy it, but in the hard core circles Bose is seen as a joke, one can do so much better for the same amount of cash.

rawrrr_guesswho_tiger - It's me Shake!

Yep. I came across a review of the Acoustimass 5 system in an old hifi magazine. The reviewer compared the sound of the cubes to a portable radio. The "subwoofer" bass dropped off at 80 Hz, worse than some minispeakers like the tiny Energy Excel. About the only good thing about the Bose system was that it didn't exhibit the huge hole between the sub and satellite that an on-line reviewer measured.

According to industry insiders, Bose spends less than $1 each on the drivers inside the little cubes. A normal speaker sells for about 8 times the cost of the drivers; Bose must be running a ratio of at least 20, if not 40 times cost. The reviewed Acoustimass system retailed for 400 UK pounds, and consisted of 4 tiny mid/tweeters and a 6.5" "subwoofer".

About the only good thing about the Bose system was that it didn't exhibit the huge hole between the sub and satellite that an on-line reviewer measured.

You know your stuff but I thought I would throw this in anyway. That's because it's a bass unit, not a sub, and like a good bookshelf speaker that does not need a separate unit to hit 80 HZ, the crossover is set in stone and not adjustable. One could not force a gap but it's no major accomplishment. Two way speakers have done the same thing for ages.

rawrrr_guesswho_tiger - It's me Shake!

I was referring to this review: http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html
He refers to a review in the August 1999 issue of Sound and Vision, and reproduces a graph which makes it look as if there is a big gap between the subwoofer and satellite speakers. However, there isn't a combined response shown, so I suspect that the dip isn't as bad as it looks. So forget my comment about the huge hole in the mid-bass. That still doesn't excuse the shocking lack of low bass, from the "subwoofer".

I just had a look at the Bose website to see what specifications they provide on the Acoustimass 15 and 16: nothing, apart from dimensions, color, and how long the wires are. And list price is nearly $1200? Maybe the owner's manual is more informative... sort of: it tells you the sats have 2.5" "Twiddlers" and the sub has 3 5.25" woofers. And that it's compatible with receivers rated from 10 to 200 watts. Nothing about frequency response, radiation pattern, sensitivity...

Anyone who buys Bose gets what they deserve. A much better choice would be the Energy "Take Classic" system, which lists for a mere $599.
http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en/products/take-classic-5-1-overvie w/

"Twiddlers"

LOL, Thanks, My smile of the day, leave it to bose.

THIS is tiger - http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2008/1/34jan29-fanboy.jpg