Audio Equipment and Home Theater Audio : Receivers and fans

Receivers and fans

Sorry my simple question: do all receivers have fans to cool them?

Thanks for letting me know

Re: Receivers and fans

Most do, not all, if you have a problem it's easy to add one.

HUMPTY DUMPTY WAS PUSHED...www.PressForDumptyTruth.org

receivers?

we talk about the amplifiers - a power thing ... most receivers has integrated amplifier which are toys... club / disco amplifiers need fans

Depends on how hard core you are, about any serious home theater receiver will have a fan, Yamaha 2XXX, 3XXX and above series, Integra and a ton of others, they would burn up without them.

THIS IS TIGER-http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/154422/?tag=Cartman

and u know about the electronics?

they fake with it

What? You are making no sense.

Hmm,

Late 1970's high power recievers (some of these conservtively rated at 250 watts) didn't have fans.

My tube Bogen HO125, these are all tube 125 watt power amplifiers, made in the 1940's, don't have fans.

The wonders of the progression of technology.

My reply was actually to Eastern Mafia but anyway.

There is considerable deception with modern day power ratings. Good example is the Sony Home theater systems that say they are rated for 600 or 1,000 watts. It's not possible to get that much power out these systems. they are also playing games wtih the frequency response.

At best, you will get 20 watts of UNDISTORTED sound, it's possible to get maybe 25 watts of a single sine wave/note. The amp can be forced, but distortion goes up exponentionally.

In the 60's, a company called Sherwood was claiming their tube amplifiers were rated for 64 watts, what they didnt tell the customers that that was 64 watts for both channels combined, but they were combinnig both sides of a stereo 32 watt amp. They were almost sued for it.

Same situation today.

90% of what is being produced today is crap. Even you if use high quality speakers, the amplifiers are pretty much unusuable. My parents Home Theater system is using a pair of tube 18 watt stereo amplifiers pulled from a 1960's Packard Bell cabinet stereo, connected to inefficent 1980's MCS stereo speakers, the back speakers are Sony and the center is JBL. Even this system still blows anything else out of the water.

With tube amps being the exception, there is no excuse for not having enough power with solid state.

90% of what is being produced today is crap.

Totally agree and of the main brands Sony is the worst, a honest review with a rating for all channels driven is a must.

It's not just power amplifiers, it's pretty much the whole digital phenominon (spelling.)

It's been proven, especially with Dire Straits albums, that CD's are intentionally compressed. So much so that there is a whole layer of sound effects missing from the beginning of Money for Nothing because in processing, they limit the frequency response to 17khz.

And don't even get me started on the audio abortion that is mp3's. Yes, they are handy, and listenable at least on portable players, but with the high powered tube amps and system that I have, most anything under 250k is unlistenable.

LCD/Plasma TV's look good, but have issues with rendering colors correctly. I have also noticed that even in high definition, you get digital artifacts (blocking) and some small details are still washed out. Incredible as it seems, my 1972 Magnavox color TV which my Panasonic flat screen replaced, did a far better job of rendering skin colors and did a better job with "true" colors, had better black level, more contrast and brightness range, and in some cases, even had more background detail in the picture, than the Panasonic. And the Panasonic is adjusted properly.

Don't get me wrong, digital is nice and I understand that it had to happen, but I really feel we are being duped into a replacement that's just not as good as what we had in some cases.

Getting off my soapbox now.

Quite a lot do... because fans are cheaper and weigh less than heat sinks. If they are temperature-controlled, they may only be there to pass the FTC power tests. Those test conditions don't represent real-world use. (Not very many people appreciate the minimalist elegance of the full-power sine wave.)

because fans are cheaper and weigh less than heat sinks.

dangus knows about amp

because fans are cheaper and weigh less than heat sinks.

Good receivers have both, you must be buying crap.