Audio Equipment and Home Theater Audio : Sound Bars

Sound Bars

So apparently these are the new thing in surround sound. The mid-level ones range apparently from 500 to about $1200, similar to your 5.1 6.1 and 7.1 systems. I have enough space to hold the satellite speakers however if I can avoid setting them up and having the clutter, I would gladly do so. So to anyone who has a sound bar and has had a regular system, what do you think? Are the differences noticeable? If I had $800 would I be better off buying a an $800 sound bar or an $800 5.1./6.1 system? Thanks very much.

Re: Sound Bars

1. Separates, Sound bars are very bad at faking the rears. Polk and Yamaha are the better ones out there but to me it's a bedroom setup, not real 5.1. (the do a fair job on faking the left and right fronts.

Jeromes Favorite Dream -

I recently listened to the Polk SurroundBar 50. While the sound quality was good, I wasn't overly impressed with the surround aspect of it. There's really no way to cheat here, go with the 5.1.

sound bars emulate surround sound.

they do it by bouncing the sound off the walls. in a room that has opposing walls of equal length and that is roughly the shape of a square, they might work... but then, you're in a room full of echo, which ruins the sound anyway.

a decent 2.1 is better then bad (ie ready set) 5.1 and anything is better then a soundbar.. if you have the space for a 5.1.

i'll give you the common advice: if you're short on the money, go for a decent 2.0, then 2.1, then 5.1.

Spider Jerusalem. Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.