Audio Equipment and Home Theater Audio : Technical question regarding DVD player w/ surround sound.

Technical question regarding DVD player w/ surround sound.

TeI just bought a DVD player with surround sound (finally!) and I was wondering if anyone know whether it's possible to make it so the speakers of it are also used when I watch regular television. I've been trying this for some time, but I can't really figure it out and the manual doesn't say much about the sound aspect of the machinery.

The model is a Philips HTS3164, if it helps.

-
I must know the secret of your panties! My very existence hangs in the balance! -Wesley Stickler

Re: Technical question regarding DVD player w/ surround sound.

If your TV has RCA audio out jacks, you should be able to connect the TV's audio out with the DVD player's audio in. You then just need to press the AUX button on the remote until AUX is displayed on the front panel.

Gort, Klaatu barada nikto

Does my TV need to have the Red/Blue/Green ones or just the Red/White ones? Or all five? I'm completely ignorant at this.

-
I must know the secret of your panties! My very existence hangs in the balance! -Wesley Stickler

Red/white ones are for audio. Red/Blue/Green ones are for picture. I'm sure you have an instruction manual. I suggest you read it. Come back here later after you first studied the manual. If you then have any more questions feel free to ask.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining"!

If your TV supports audio out through RCA (red and white), there will be red and white RCA jacks on the TV that will say "audio out". What model TV do you have?

Sony Bravia.

I tried connecting a red/white RCA cable between the TV and DVD. It didn't work.

And I have read the manual. There wasn't much on sound options and it was all in professional language.

-

What is the exact model of Bravia? Not all Bravias are equal. Also, did you connect the RCA cable from the audio out on the TV to the audio in on the player?

Model KDL-40W4000.

And no, I don't think I did connect it to the audio out thingy. I just connected it to the inputs on the side (which at closer inspection, say Mono (>_>)). It's probably that I have to connect them to the ones on the back. I'll take down the TV from the wall tomorrow and try. Unless you have any better advise? >_>

If not, thanks for all the help.

-

Edit: Your TV does have RCA audio output. The jacks are on the back panel next to the optical audio output and below the HDMI ports.

Ignore the following original text:
Unfortunately, your TV does not support RCA audio output. It only has an optical digital audio output (found on the back panel). You will need an optical to RCA converter (like this: http://www.hdtvsupply.com/digital-to-analog-audio-converter.html) for your TV audio to work through your home theater system.

bullcrap.

it does support RCA audio out - come on over and hear for yourself, if you don't believe me. got one at home, you're welcome to try.

here's a pick of the backpanel:
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/image/hdtv/Sony-KDL40W4000/rear-connections. jpg

the red/white RCA on the lower right next to the optical are the audio out RCA:s.

Spider Jerusalem. Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.

Sorry, you are correct. I only have access to the manuals and the manuals for the Sony Bravias are poorly designed.

So I could be able to get it to work by simply connecting the red/white audio out socket on the backpanel of the TV to the red/white audio in sockets on the back of the DVD player, yes?

-

Sound, yes.

But you're limited to 2.0 stereo.. But not many broadcasts have surround anyways.

But if I get an Optical Audio Output converter, can I get surround sound?

-

EDIT: just googled your player, and it's a ready-set (ughh..). there is no way to get 5.1 from the tv with that one, sorry. the best would be to connect it via RCA from the TV, which will limit you to 2 channel audio. no gain from getting a converter. use the tv's RCA's as described above and connect them to the "aux in" on the phillips. it does have dolby prologic II, which will spread the 2 channel signal over to the 5.1 speakers, but it's not true surround.