Audio Equipment and Home Theater Audio : I need something to turn optical audio to analog 5.1

I need something to turn optical audio to analog 5.1

I have an analog logitec 5.1 set for my PC, it uses 3 headphone jacks for the signal. All of my DVD players have optical out, how can I hook these 2 up?

Vulcan proverb: The good of the many outweigh the good of the few.

Re: I need something to turn optical audio to analog 5.1

The cheapest option could be a Creative Extigy USB sound device. It has optical in, and 5.1 out, and sells for under $100 on eBay. Get one with the remote if possible, because they're expensive to buy separately. There's other boxes made for computer applications, but they're expensive on eBay. Maybe cheap if you buy at a local computer dealer or swap meet.

Another option is an old Dolby Digital add-on box like a Technics SH-AC300 or 500D. Those boxes have several digital inputs, and a remote control for volume and input selection. Other manufacturers made similar boxes that were intended to be used with "Digital Ready" home theater receivers. You may find them at hi-fi dealers, pawn shops, or yard sales in the right neighborhoods.

Some Dolby Digital boxes were sold for car applications. Those were very expensive new, but I've picked up a couple for $25 each on the clearance table of a local car audio dealer. Beware of units which only work with particular head units.

Wow, well from your reply it sounds like its not worth buying the converter and I should just get some new speakers.

Vulcan proverb: The good of the many outweigh the good of the few.

I think the cheapest way would be to just get a dvd player with a 5.1 analog out put, you would also probably have to get some adapters for the headphone jacks.

Good point. Or stop messing and buy a proper home theater receiver that has digital inputs. They can usually be configured for various arrangements of speakers, like if you don't have a subwoofer, but have 4 big tower speakers, they'll handle the sub bass.

Since HDMI audio support is necessary to get the best sound out of Blu-ray, older Dolby Digital receivers should be cheap. Only problem: people selling used receivers haven't accepted that this stuff is obsolete and overprice it; you may find lower prices on new/demo receivers marked-down in stores.

Since HDMI audio support is necessary to get the best sound out of Blu-ray
Not really. you can use multichannel analogs, and if your player has decent DAC:s, then it may be on par or even better then via HDMI to an amp that has inferior DAC:s.

then again, most reveivers with multichannel analog-ins don't know how to re-direct the LFE channel from those ie you loose something if you don't have a sub.

Spider Jerusalem. Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.