Audio Equipment and Home Theater Audio : 2 odd problems

2 odd problems

I know only 1 of these is audio, I'm just pasting it on a couble boards to get some answers.

Here are the 2 problems that I am having:

1. Messed up picture:Sometimes while the PS3 is on and it's on the main menu, the screen starts getting shaky, random lines appear, it gets fuzzy and then it goes black, with my TV saying "invalid signal." Sometimes I get it to work after turning the system on/off or the tv. The ODD thing is that when I put a blu-ray in, it fixes itself and plays the movie just fine, but when I go back to the main menu, it messes up again. I've tried different HDMI cables and different inputs, nothing helps. I have an LG 32' LCD.

2. No Dolby Digital:My PS3 is hooked up through HDMI to my LCD, which is hooked up to my receiver through Digital optical. My DVD player and 360 show (on my receiver) that they are running in Dolby Digital. My PS3? In stereo (or "Pro-Logic 2"). I've messed with the settings back and forth, and NOTHING has helped. Although when I watched Star Trek, I got the Dolby Digital to work by changing the triangle-pop-up-menu audio option from Linear PCM to Bitstream. Although it didn't work when I watched Dark City (Both movies are on Blu-ray).

Thoughts?

Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and sh*t and Jack left town

Re: 2 odd problems

1. Messed up picture
Sounds like something wrong with either the PS3 or the TV, if switching cables isn't helping. Although the longer the cable, the better it should be, just to work properly. any wire, that is indeed 1080p compatible, will do for a few meters, but at 10+ meters, you want a decent cable.

My PS3 is hooked up through HDMI to my LCD, which is hooked up to my receiver through Digital optical. My DVD player and 360 show (on my receiver) that they are running in Dolby Digital. My PS3? In stereo (or "Pro-Logic 2").
So the connection is

PS3 -> TV -> amp?

seems that for whatever reason, your tv is unable to pass the sound onwards properly. if possible, i'd switch to PS3 -> Amp -> TV just to get it done right. if that's not possible, then i'd suggest PS3 -> TV and PS -> Amp, the first for picture, the latter for sound.

if you're watching blu-ray movies with HD sound and transmitting them as "PCM", then the problem most like is this:

- the capacity of the optical isn't sufficient for HD sound (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, PCM). This is a fact.

- if you're sending PCM to the tv, the tv is unable to reduce the signal to suit the optical connectio - rather, it passes along only the 2 channels it can.

So, either switch to "bitstream", which will send the HD soundtracks as they are to the TV, which may know how to reduce them to the "core" versions, ie legacy-DTS/DD. this will not, probably, work for PCM (ie if the disc itself has multichannel PCM sound).

or just get a new amp with HDMI 1.3. they're not that pricey anymore.

Spider Jerusalem. Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.

Thanks a ton x_jmt_x.

On a side note, I found the solution to the Audio problem. You were right with the PCM/Bitstream stuff. Also, some blu-rays, like Dark City, ONLY have a dolby digital 7.1 option. My receiver can't handle anything over 5.1, and it also can't handle the "Tru-HD sound" option either. The blu-ray has to have the option for standard 5.1 Dolby Digital, or DTS for it work. At some point I have to upgrade my receiver.

For the picture, still no luck. I called LG and Sony and they have no idea, LG thinks it could be the cord or the tv, sony thinks it's the system. Although, 2 different PS3s have had the picture problem (I returned it and got the same problem), and when I brought it over to a friend's house who has EXACTLY the same tv, the same problem showed up.

I have it hooked to a Samsung 42' LCD right now to see if the problem persists. If it does, I know it's probably the system.

Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and sh*t and Jack left town

On a side note, I found the solution to the Audio problem. You were right with the PCM/Bitstream stuff. Also, some blu-rays, like Dark City, ONLY have a dolby digital 7.1 option. My receiver can't handle anything over 5.1, and it also can't handle the "Tru-HD sound" option either
The amplifier should handle it correctly, if the PS3 is set to

a) PCM
b) downmix to 5.1 channels.

I've never used PS3, so i don't know the settings, but the key is to set it to send PCM (which is the format used for audio cd's, probably the most basic format in existence) and to downmix to 5.1 (so the extra 2 channels don't mess the amp).

Spider Jerusalem. Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.

Your TV is having to convert the HDMI sound because optical can't handle hi-def audio. It likely isn't doing this how you'd like. I'd recommend connect the audio out on your PS3 straight to the receiver or get a new receiver that does HDMI.

Like commentaries? http://www.ratethatcommentary.com/