Audio Equipment and Home Theater Audio : Is this Home Theatre System good?

Is this Home Theatre System good?

what do people think about the Sony 800 Watt 5.1 Home Theatre System?

Twin HDMI Inputs, 190 Watt Powered Subwoofer, 610 Watt 5.1 Channel Receiver

* Hi-Fi Outfit
* 5.1 Channels
* 800 Watts
* 2 HDMI Inputs

http://www.cliveanthonys.com.au/home...tem-sku-24929/

how much better will it be for blu-ray then just using the TV to deliver sound?

Re: Is this Home Theatre System good?

Enormously better than using the TV alone. You'll get some bass from the subwoofer, and actual surround sound.

Still, the speakers look unimpressive. I'd rather spend that money on just a decent HDMI (preferably 3D ready if that's a real thing) receiver. Use whatever stereo speakers you can scrounge, and gradually upgrade to matching speakers.

I'm on a tight budget, so I can't afford anything too flashy. So your saying it'll better then normal TV sound but the speakers aren't very good? May I ask how do you know this is the case, and are Sony known for making quality home theatre equipment?

I can tell from the pictures that the satellite speakers are small and single cones. Like in a B*se system or a portable radio. However, plenty of people are ecstatically happy with B*se systems, so you may be quite satisfied with the Sony package.

Maybe I've been lucky with speaker buying, but I've picked up two Missions, two Energy Excels, and one Energy center channel for a total of about $36. Thrift store, fundraising parking lot sale for a dance studio, and a yard sale. I could also mention the Radio Shack Minimus 7 pair for $10 at a thrift store. There's incredible value in used speakers these days, because people are buying not very good "home theater" systems and getting rid of their stereo speakers.

I've had all kinds of Sony equipment (along with other equipment) for years.

While this setup is on the low end of Sony's gear, that's an area where Sony delivers reasonable quality for a reasonable price. That's it. You'll get better sound than out of your TV, but you shouldn't be expecting to hear stellar sound coming out of small speakers like that.

I'm not sure why the other guy is suggesting an "HDMI-ready" receiver ... this one, from the photo, does appear to have an HDMI port. You can always upgrade the speakers later, but Sony's least expensive HDMi-ready receiver runs around $199 by itself. Adding five surround speakers, even used, will quickly put you above the $448 "negotiable" price on this system's advertisement.

I have always liked Sony gear for the price. I got good performance for 15 years out of a packaged system. It comes nowhere near the system I have now but it was a fraction of the cost and I got a LOT of mileage out of it!

What you shouldn't expect is full-range sound out of small "satellite speaker" systems like this. Single-driver enclosures simply do not deliver the same type of clarity and flat frequency response across the A-weighted (human hearing range) spectrum the way that full-range 3-way enclosures (lows, mids, highs) do.... but it's a much more expensive proposition.

If you can get this system for $250-$350 it's a reasonable deal for a system that'll sound better than your TV's audio. The truth is, all lower end receivers across any given brand fundamentally use the same core components... and only the bells and whistles differ. It's not like 1985 where a receiver with Burr-Brown DAC's might cost you a fortune.

Member - DFW Film Critics Association
http://www.cinemalogue.com

The weak link in that setup is the speakers, better than stock tv but not much. Look at some speakers & sub here, then find a reciever to go with it.
http://www.fluance.com/shop-speakers.html#complete-speaker-system