Audio Equipment and Home Theater Audio : Help with 5.1 speakers

Help with 5.1 speakers

I have a 5.1 speaker setup at home and the input consists of three different colored jacks (green, black, and yellow). Until a few weeks ago we had a home PC with a soundcard that contained outputs for each cable, but I just came home from college and apparently the ol' clunker finally died... so I'm currently stranded with my laptop, which only has one output jack for speakers, and I'm trying to figure out if there's some kind of adapter I can buy to plug them in and have the output from a single jack converted to 5.1...if that makes sense?

One of my friends said he has an adapter that his speakers came with, but I looked online and can't find jack *beep*

W.W.G.D.
What Would Gibson Do?

Re: Help with 5.1 speakers

I'm currently stranded with my laptop, which only has one output jack for speakers
If your laptop only has one audio output (standard 35mm jack), it is likely just a simple stereo (2.0) output. There is no adapter that would adequately convert that to 5.1 since the result is typically a poor simulation and not true surround sound. In the unlikely event that your laptop supports Dolby Pro-Logic, there are some receivers that support 5.1 through 35mm jacks.

Gort, Klaatu barada nikto

Re: Help with 5.1 speakers

There was the Creative Extigy... USB in and 5.1 out. You can pick them up for under $100. You'll find some USB to 5.1 decoders on eBay for $10 to $15 shipped (search usb and 5.1).

On the other hand, you can find an entire Dolby Digital receiver for under $50 used, with some luck and patience.