Audio Equipment and Home Theater Audio : How do you copy something from VHS to DVD?

How do you copy something from VHS to DVD?

I have a bunch of my VHS tapes from the 90's that I was using to record TV shows on and music videos on, my question is how do I transfer them over to DVD? I love the VHS but I know after awhile they are going to wear out.

Re: How do you copy something from VHS to DVD?

The easiest is to get a standalone DVD recorder. Preferably a good one that has built-in timebase correction (TBC).

Alternatively (and cheaper), use a capture card or USB capture device on a computer. Most TV tuner cards and USB things can record video as well. (Some digital camcorders have video inputs and can be used to capture direct to the computer.) This all involves more work, but you could edit out commercials, add a menu or chapters to the DVD, etc. Some S-VHS VCRs have TBC built-in, if you have access to one (or spot one in a thrift store). Reports are that TBC can make a large difference to the capture quality, though maybe less so with original camcorder tapes. I got great results going from a Hi8 camcorder to a Hauppauge PVR-250 capture card, playing the original tape.

Hi,

Ever got around to this? I have some GREAT recommendations! E-mail me at mrk_ci@yahoo.com.

Ok thanks you guys.