Audio Equipment and Home Theater Audio : Who has a BOSE music system?

Who has a BOSE music system?

What do you think of it?

Re: Who has a BOSE music system?

while i don't have one, the general concensus seems to be, that price vs. quality don't meet in those; arguably, a system with better specs and sound can be purchased with less money.

it's a brand thing, not that uncommon in the hifi-world. for example, some of the early blu-ray players sold by more prestigeous labels (Denon, Maranz etc) were in reality just repackaged philips players with a new logo and a hefty pricetag.

i'm not saying there's something inherently wrong with bose, just that they cost way too much. just because it says "bose" on the side and they might have a better Wife Acceptance Factor (which is nothing to be underestimated!). soundwise, money is better spent on something else.

and as a rule, ready-sets are categorically to be avoided, because
a) they suck,
b) they suck more,
c) most importantly, you cannot upgrade the system piece by piece, for example by getting a better amp/sub/frontspeakers and if one part breaks down, then that's it too.

Spider Jerusalem. Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.

Unless you really need an expensive white plastic box, there's far better alternatives at lower cost. There's amazing deals on used audio gear from the '80s and '90s. $25 got me a pair of used Mission speakers from Value Village, and I rescued a working NAD receiver (1990's vintage?) from a recycling dumpster. CD players and changers can be found for $5 to $25 at thrift stores.

Bose markets an illusion of quality to people with money who are too dumb or too busy to investigate the audio market for themselves. If you want designy sound/video equipment, but with real quality, check out products from Bang & Olufsen.
http://www.bang-olufsen.com/

I bought the Bose accumass 7 back in 1986 and have used it all these years,I also have a close friend who does home stereo custum surround systems. I have listened to a $30.000 dollar top of the line surround systems his company swears by and all he ever did was put down my Bose system and I swear my bose system sounded just as good, if not better than his top of the line Dennon proline surround system. I have never worried as I watched over 400 of my dvd collection and my family and friends can not get over the 5.1 surround sound that I have with my Bose system. I do not see why anyone who truly does a blind listening test could argue the clearity and amazing sound that the Bose technology delivers.

"A hairline so natural,only the undertaker knows for sure!" Joker

Bose is known for 50 cent drivers, most of what you pay for is their advertising.

This is exactly what my friend told me when he found out I bought my system and nothing could be more further from the truth! I did not have to spend several thousand dollars for some hi end system that he claimed was only as good as what you pay for.

The Bose systems do not have a subwoofer, they may call it one but it is a bass unit.

That's Totally false, do you own one? They sell a subwoofer and it's awsome! My system has sounded great for twenty years try and top that from any other surround system. They experts in hifidelity will tell you your sound system is only as good as your own hearing enjoyment because we are all unique when it comes to our own interpetation of what a good system sounds like. i listened to probably a dozen or so top of the line surround systems and theyall sounded good but for the size and the price I chose the Bose system and as i stated it's served me well for twenty years and i have yet to hear anyone say that about another system.

That's Totally false, do you own one? They sell a subwoofer and it's awsome!
You saying it's awesome does not mean that it's a subwoofer. If it doesn't go lower then 40hz or so, then it's just a bass-speaker.

Real subwoofers go lower then 20hz - the lower limit of human hearing - and break the 100db pressure level at 20hz, which is not an easy feat.

They experts in hifidelity will tell you your sound system is only as good as your own hearing enjoyment because we are all unique when it comes to our own interpetation of what a good system sounds like.
so Twilight is a good movie because teenagers like it?

there's 2 sides to hifi:

1) the technical side, which is objective
2) the preference side, which is subjective

ideally, when 1 is at a "good enough" level, you can move on to 2. but, if a speaker, that is techically a piece of trash sounds "good" to a person, then that person has problems with his ears or a really strange taste.

that said, i read a study where people who were used to iPods (and probably bad headphones) preferred, in a blind test, a 128 kbs MP3 over a lossless codec.
*shudder*
learned preferences, it seems.

Well like it has been stated, the preference is based on the individual listener's hearing pleasure and you tech guys can roll out all your measured numbers from your high end equipment and none will come close to the size and performance of the Bose system at their price. I know I've been to the show rooms and had all your high end tech numbers shown to me on paper and it all means squat until you turn on the system and listen for a real persons listening judgement doing the purchase. After all one's sound interpretation is based soley on that individuals owns listening and enjoyment and all your pretty Highs and lows and Hz dips low distortion really will be measured from the buyers ear.

Well like it has been stated, the preference is based on the individual listener's hearing pleasure and you tech guys can roll out all your measured numbers from your high end equipment
Measurements are the base, the listening experience is the key.

For example, the frequency response is one of the most basic measurements.

1) Ideally, it's more or less flat. a flat frequency response (flat as +-3db) means, basically, that the speaker itself doesn't add or affect to the sound. ie you're hearing what was intended for you to hear. it's transparent. you're hearing what is on the record, and the speakers (or any other component in the system) is not adding emhasis on upper bass or any other range.

2) the speaker reaches down to 20hz - basically, you need a sub. it's a rarity that even a towerspeaker reaches that low, simple laws of physics. if you're listening only to music, then a higher low-point is acceptable, as the lowest note from a properly tuned bass is a bit below 40hz, and music rarely has something below 30hz (german techno aside).

and that is just the basics. a speaker that has a flat frequency response doesn't mean that it's necessarily good. there are a ton of other matters that affect the outcome - how the speakers react to the space you're in, how clearly they are able to define different instruments, how accurate they are etc. etc. etc. - but that's probably the most basic measurement.

it is true, though, the otherway around. if the frequensy response has huge dips and mountains and it simply doesn't reach low bass at all - let's say that the -3db point is at 60hz and compensates for it with a mountain at 60-80hz - it's a bad speaker and, objectively, doesn't sound good because it distorts the music. period.

if your personal preference is to listen to distorted, inaccurate and messed up reproduction of music, then it's your opinion, but it has absolutely nothing to do with how good the speaker objectively is.

and by the way, i don't own a "high end music system". can't afford one as a student. the whole point was, that price vs. quality Bose is waaaayyyy overpriced, and if one is intrested in soundquality instead of decoration, the same amount of money you spend on one of their systems gets you gear that is definately better by any measurable quantity.

if that don't fit your ears.. you're not one of the people who preferred 128kbs MP3 over lossless?

Yeah, i bet you guys think the world is flat also ! The system speaks for itself and I know I can pull up twice as many favored reviews from people who have the Bose systems and have enjoyed their wondful sound and unique design.
All the people who have heard my system have remarked that they had never heard as good sound coming from a 5.1 surround sound system, which Bose has had around now for over 20 years! These are american Technologies at work and the people who make them are very proud of their product as I am owning them.

The Bose system and it's technologies are an american development,the people who make this product are very pround of their work and I too am proud to own these and have enjoyed them for 20 years, as are many other owner that I have talked to on line and shred our wonderful experinces with the Bose products.

"The Bose system and it's technologies are an american development,the people who make this product are very pround of their work and I too am proud to own these and have enjoyed them for 20 years"

Sounds to me that your personal preference when it comes to your Bose sound system has more to do with patriotism than anything else!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining"!

the whole argument has been silly for some time.

A car that is techically crap, low hp, bad brakes, uses a ton of gas and doesn't go faster then 50mp/h is a crappy car.. No matter how much the owner likes to drive it.

Matters of taste are only relevant in the discussion after the technical side is at a decent level - at the discussed price range.

Measurements are the basis, but not everything can be measured. For example, genelec active speakers are originally made for studio monitoring - mixing and mastering. Technically, they're great, but the amount of definition and neutrality - some say the sound is cold and hard - might not suit everyone. I know quite a few people who don't like 'em. Because they're built for accuracy first, comfort second.

But, as said, bose systems do poorly in measurements (for that price!) and if one likes the sound, then one likes something that hasn't got High Fidelity to the original recording, but rather are messy distorted version of it.

They look nice, though.

"coming from a 5.1 surround sound system, which Bose has had around now for over 20 years!"

For more than 20 years, really!!?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining"!

I really appreciate all the useless information that you high tech know it alls have tried to use to defer people from enjoying a very unique and amazing technology Bose Surround and 5.1 systems. Which was invented here in the United States. I thank you all so much, that in Febuary I will be upgrading to bose surrounds newest system and it might cost a couple grand, but I have listened to it and it is amazingly remarkable and unsurpased in any home theater system built as of this date.

either you're stupid or a troll.

i'm guessing the latter.

bye.

Oh your an expert!

Michael Jackson who was a musical genius would congratulate me on purchasing on a the inovatvive sound systems produced in the world. michael probably owned a Bose system I bet you he did.

that's a recommendation? Michael Jackson had one?

I bet none of you guys has actually had a bose system set up becuase you would not be talkin this why if had sat down and truly experienced an american innovative sound system that revered all over the world.

From my experience, the stock quadraphonic system in my Chevy pickup has better sound than the Bose systems I have listened to. I find that Bose systems lack adequate bass response and are flat on higher frequencies. They also have a tendency to muffle dialogue, which is the direct result of their "waveguide" technology (essentially a built in echo chamber that presumably creates "ambiance").

Gort, Klaatu barada nikto

You probably have an 8 track in house too!

You probably have an 8 track in house too!
No, I've never had an 8-track. However, I was quite fond of my Panasonic Hi-Fi reel-to-reel system back in the '70s.

Gort, Klaatu barada nikto

I knew someone who had Panasonic Hi fi reel to reel way back when, He had a live version of Bruce springsteen from 1974-1975 and It was unbelievable the great sound quality and the live performance was true Bruce at the time.

My speakers are from JBL. It's also American and makes much better speakers.

Like commentaries? http://www.ratethatcommentary.com/

I'm glad you found a pair you like, As I said earlier my Bose surround sound system sounds wonderful to me and all my family and friends whom come over to watch the movies and listen . That's really all that matters in my book. I bought it, I love the way it sounds, and those people who can not comprehend that tough doody!

"UBU!"http://us.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=12811222

sh!t is still sh!t no matter how many flys love it.

ur what u eat and u eat _hit!

I know a guy at my job that has a BOSE radio system. It works real good and go louad to just like a stero system. I thought about getting one, but they are way to expensive like close to $300.00 bucks. Even BOSE headsets are expensive.

it's not that they're inferior, they're overpriced.

More precisely, they are inferior to other equipment with a similar price.

Like commentaries? http://www.ratethatcommentary.com/

Wilspringer,

I use vaccum tube movie theater amplifiers from the 1960s. They are 120 watt push pull output using tube number 6550. They are pretty much unavaliable to the general public as they are commmercial grade amplifiers. As for sound quality, they are untouchable by anything available by Best Buy. I hear things in movies and music that most people don't because of the frequency range and the clarity.

Bose can't touch this system and I can prove everything that's wrong with Bose by playing a simple, crappy hard rock from the early Eighties called Fantasy by Aldo Nova (I actually like this song but anyway). During the intro, a pretty much full range frequency sweep is done, on my system, the entire range is there, all the way down to the subbass that fires off just before the drums start.
A minimum of 25% of this song is missing on a Bose system, and the subbass rumble before the drums start is completely gone.

talking to wildspringer is useless.

he's so dead set on the fact that he and his friends actually like how bose sounds, it's completely useless pointing out that:

- it's only partially capable of reproducing the sound on the record,
- it reproduces the sound distorted,
- it lacks definition.

he's right on the matter that what's most important is what the listener thinks of what he or she is hearing, but that does not compensate for the fact that bose systems just aren't that good, not for the price.

some things are not just a matter of preference.

you can get a very decent system for around 1 500 USD, and of course, one that costs 150 000 isn't "a hundred times better", but denial of the lackings of one's own system is just selfdeception.

bose is not a reasonable choise, unless what it looks like is a priority and how it sounds (or High Fidelity to the original recording) is secondary.. by far.

Thing is, though. Back in the 70's, Bose had some fairly decent equipment, certainly more respectable than today.

I'll listen to it on my Bose system and get back to you if I cant hear the itro subass rumble? \Tthis is a Joke right?

yes, it is a joke, as your bose system is unable to reproduce it.

it's like this:

- you've got a car that only goes 40mph. someone's asking you to drive 60mph. you really need to test the car to see it doesn't go 60mph?

the cd format allows sounds as low as 20hz to be recorded. your system fails to reproduce anything below 40-50hz (the limit may very well be higher). if there's anything on the record below the limit of your system, you're not getting it. period.

and don't quote me the specs BOSE announces, they're irrelevant. most manufacturers exaggarate their speaker's abilities, and BOSE is no exception.

Tell me something,the real reason you hate the Bose system is because you can't afford it!Start saving your money and in a couple years you might be able to buy a Bose system!

As for the song, it's most definitely not a joke, and what's even better, most midrange home theater in a box, most which have a 8-10 inch subwoofer, can reproduce that sub bass rumble.

On my system, I have the main amps shelved at 40hz, the subbass takes over from there. However, even at 40 hz, the mains have no issues and most of the bass for the song, comes through the mains along and aslo through the sub bass.

XMT, if your'e still reading this far.

I set up my parent's HT system in the Den using 60's vintage Packard Bell tube stereo amps (17 watts/6BQ5 tube)pulled from a console. I used one for the front speakers (crappy 1980's vintage three way MCS with 10 inch woofer) and one for the back speakers, (just a pair of small two way Sonys). This system is ungodly clear and crisp, and loud enough, even with the relatively low power, to heard about a block away at full power. It stomps the midrange Sony HT in Box we got for the living room when we updated the living room tv.

If I recall correctly, I think the amps were rated for 20hz to 30khz.

As for the song, it's most definitely not a joke,
I meant actually trying that on a bose is a joke, as it just won't be able to do it.

no thanks.. probably my cd + bd + av-receiver cost more then the bose system.

not that price is any guarantee of quality, as bose has proven, but i prefer cambridge audio and yamaha over bose any day.

Actually, CDs can reproduce down to DC, as in 0 Hz, but actually playing 0 Hz approaches the impossible... maybe that infamous fan subwoofer can? There are music CDs and movie DVDs with sounds down in the single digit Hz range. It needs a rather big and expensive sub, if not a bunch of them, to audibly reproduce those sounds. The most practical method is in-car, as long as the CD or DVD player and amp (etc) don't high-pass the infrabass, and the sub is a sealed box with plenty of excursion. If you want home subs, read the UltimateAV sub shootout articles.

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/features/604way/

http://www.svsound.com/questions-faqs.cfm#moviedemos

My mistake, perhaps, but i thought that the audio cd ie red book cd was limited to 20hz - 22 khz, but according to wikipedia, only the "roof" is limited, but not the lower end.

20hz being the lowpoint of human hearing, most (true) subwoofers seem to cut it off at 15hz or so (if not exactly cut off, atleast drastically dropping the response - SVS PB13 Ultra goes as low as 10hz, it seems), but i've read that for example "finding nemo dvd)" contains frequensies down to 5hz - in the main channels, even.

of course, your typical bose "subwoofer" drops like a rock at about 50hz - which really isn't even low bass.

I told you keep saving your money! You can afford a Bose System!Yes you can!

like i said, i'd rather spend my money on something reasonably priced, and currently, the cd + bd + av-amp cost me more then a "bose lifestyle" -set.

not to mention they sound better.

*quietly enjoying his Teac A6300 Reel through a Harmon Kardon Tube Award Receiver amp. My backup listening amp.

Bravo! All I want is for all of us to be happy enjoying what ever set up we own without knocking someone's personal taste! Life is too short so enjoy the best way you know how!

no one was mocking your taste.. atleast, not at first.

the point is, Bose systems are waayyy overpriced, epical failures on paper.

if one does indeed, enjoy them, so be it, but recommending it to others, without any reservations, claiming it to be better then even high-end systems, is just wrong.

no one should buy any hifi-gear before comparing it to atleast a few other options at home, before making the call, but sadly, many do buy HT systems "because they said it was good, on-line".

unless you have an extremely weird taste, bose will sound crap compared to almost any set at the same price range, be it sony, samsung, denon, yamaha, tannoy or whatever.

also, your claim that you've had a 5.1 bose for 20 years is just hilarious, as neither DD 5.1 nor DTS 5.1 codecs are that old.. Dolby prologic was 4.0.

My Bose surround system has two front speakers,two rear speakers ,and one center speaker and sub woofer. It has not failed me for 15+ years and it sounds Great! I call it 5.1 maybe it in not officially deemed 5.1 but to me it sounds like a 5.1 system because of speaker arrangement and I have a sony 5.1 reciever which everything runs through!

wait, now i'm confused. The sony 5.1 is going to have FIVE SEPERATE discrete channels. In other words, it's true stereo. If what your'e saying is true, and thing is 15 years old. you are getting a SPLIT MONO signal to the back speakers.

At any rate, I give up.

No, you're confused about mono here, it's your brain that is split, one half is not being used any more so your brain did the only logical thing and seperated it from the smaller half you are using. The mind is terrible thing to waste and this is your understanding of mono.

Okay, put down the Bong and slowly step away from the computer...Nobody gets hurt.