Displays and Projectors : My TV has a DVD display problem

My TV has a DVD display problem

Something is wrong with my TV. Whenever I play a DVD of a movie in 2.35:1, its displayed in a 1.85:1 aspect ratio, and whenever I play a 1.85:1 movie, it's displayed in full screen. I checked the settings on my DVD player and the settings are normal-16:9 for widescreen and 4:3 for full screem so its probably something in the TV causing this. What do you think is causing this?
I want my TV to display movies in their correct aspect ratio!

Re: My TV has a DVD display problem

It would help to know exactly what model TV and DVD player you have in order to make sure you have the proper connections/settings for both.

Gort, Klaatu barada nikto

It would help to know exactly what model TV and DVD player you have in order to make sure you have the proper connections/settings for both.

You're right. I'm not sure how to say exactly what type of TV it is. But look, it's an RCA. It's 3 feet 3 inches long, 2 feet 5 inches tall, 1 foot 6 and a half inches wide. The screen is 1 foot 8 inches long and 1 foot 2 inches tall.

Quoting measurements doesn't help much. However, according to the dimensions you gave, you only have a standard 4:3 TV set. The DVD player should be set for 4:3 on ALL settings. If any settings on the DVD player are set to 16:9, you will get very odd results because the TV cannot properly interpret the signals.

BTW, the model number for the TV can be found on an identification plate usually near the antenna input and/or the power cord.

Gort, Klaatu barada nikto

The DVD player should be set for 4:3 on ALL settings. If any settings on the DVD player are set to 16:9, you will get very odd results because the TV cannot properly interpret the signals.

YOU'RE RIGHT! I set all the settings on 4:3 and the screen is displaying movies right now! Thanks TrekkerScout! You're a good friend. Danke and Auf Wiedersehen!

P.S. Let me ask you something. Would you say that someone who can't understand why something is banned and can't understand some synonyms is dumb? Because I posted a message on the imdb file for Family Guy asking why Family Guy is banned in Indonesia, Taiwan, South Korea, Egypt, Poland, Malaysia, Iran, South Africa, Vietnam and India and they think I'm stupid! Then they start using words I don't know what mean and then they think I'm dumber! Don't beleive me? Look up Family Guy on imdb. Go to the message board and find the post that says "Why all these bans?". Getting answers out of them is one hell of a crapshoot!