So Bad They're Good : 13 Ghosts (1960)

13 Ghosts (1960)

It's on right now. I think it was pretty good. The family was straight out of a 60's sitcom but the story wasn't campy or cheesy and had a twist at the end.

I also liked the remake because the ghosts made the film.

Sheldon:"Was the starfish wearing boxer shorts? Because you might have been watching Nickelodeon.

Re: 13 Ghosts (1960)

I liked this movie a lot, too. I originally bought it because Margaret Hamilton appeared as the housekeeper and I was a fan of her role as the Wicked Witch of the West in The Wizard of Oz. I did like the gimmick of seeing the ghosts and also seeing clean-cut Martin Milner as a bad guy and over-acting Charles Herbert as the terrified son. Good, campy fun!!

Yes, I meant wasn't played campy by all. Of course it had some camp! (lol) I liked seeing Margaret Hamilton too. It was a nice change that the housekeeper wasn't an evil murderer out to kill the family because they got the inheritance. Loved the ending too!

Sheldon:"Was the starfish wearing boxer shorts? Because you might have been watching Nickelodeon."

The only real 'camp' in the film was Rosemary De Camp who played the mother. Ha ha.

Here is William Castle's Ghost Viewer I have kept for over 50 years after seeing the film in a theater when it first came out.

http://i.imgur.com/m0FbIqp.jpg

"50, count 'em 50, ambassadors will definitely appear at the peace conference."

I rate it 7/10, but I don't like it enough to buy it. I like the remake better. I rate that movie 10/10 and I also own it on DVD.

Volker Flenske: (While torturing David) I don't know why you're doing this to yourself!

I really enjoyed this William Castle film when it was released. I still have the cardboard "ghost viewer" that was handed out to people buying a ticket to go see the film. I have kept that as a memento for over 50 years.

"50, count 'em 50, ambassadors will definitely appear at the peace conference."

Wow! It's great that you still have your memento. I wish I had seen it in the theater.

<b>MOJO2004</B>

It's a nice flick. Not really scary, but very well-done with some good acting. It's a tad bit better than the remake too.