Displays and Projectors : JVC ?

JVC ?

I have been looking at 32 inch LCDS. I have a limited budget of $500. I had the chance to get a Sony Bravia for that amount, but the store that was selling them could not get them in, even though I paid for it beforehand. I know that would have been my best bet but it aint going to happen.
Have looked at Vizios and Samsungs, but am leaning toward a JVC LT32EM49. Does anyone know anything about that make and model? I am not into all the technical aspects. All I want is something eeasy to use and set up, that has a halfway decemt picture and won't break down in less than three months.
I can't find to many reviews for this particular model. It is assembled in Mexico not China,Would that be better? Has anyone had this and had any problems? I was reading a review for another model and they had a lot of complaints about the remote, they said the picture was fine.
Any comments appreciateed. It is going for $498 at Sams Club, also should I pay extra to get warranty?

Re: JVC ?

All JVC models (along with RCA and Sanyo) consistently fall into the lower quality spectrum with relatively poor pictures. Toshiba, Vizio and LG are typically classed as mid range performers. Samsung and Sony are the best sets on average.

The best 32-inch LCD HDTV on the market that can be found for under $500 would have to be the Toshiba Regza: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889253133&nm _mc=OTC-mys1mo17&cm_mmc=OTC-mys1mo17-_-LCD+TV-_-Toshiba+America-_- 89253133. Unfortunely, it is only 720p resolution, but that is the same resolution as the JVC model you are considering. 1080p just isn't available at that price and size.

Gort, Klaatu barada nikto

Hi Trekker, thanks for the info. We will probaby go with the Samsung. I read some pretty decent reviews. The salesguy(who I don't really trust) said the Sony Bravia had Samsung parts in it.He was going to substitute a Sharp for the Sonym we said no. We went to Best Buy hoping they would price match our $499 Sony price, but they would'nt as they said the store where we were supposed to get it did'nt have it in stock so it was'nt eligible.That was where he said we coulf get a Samsung for the $499. I have to get this soon as I already paid for it on my charge card, and I want to use the refund on the charge to even it out as right now I have the $500 credit coming. we are also waiting on getting cable and figured we would get the tv so the cable guy could hook it up, so it is really a time thing. I would have preferred to look around, but I need one soon.

The salesguy(who I don't really trust) said the Sony Bravia had Samsung parts in it.
He was close to being right. Most high end electronic companies get their parts from same sources. A Sony could very well have some of the same parts as a Samsung.

He was going to substitute a Sharp for the Sonym we said no.
Good choice. Sharp is another company that typically rates low. They do have a few models that score high, but you wouldn't know which ones unless you did more research.

I've always had the cheapest TVs as I really can't afford anthing top of the line. Mostly Admirals, JVC,and Emerson. They would last a few years and I was happy. I had a Dell 17 LCD HDTV when I got my computer in 2003. I used it for my computer monitor. I never even used the TV on it. It lasted 4 years. The backlit converter went( Ithink that is what I read it was)It seemed to be a common problem for those.I used it to watch DVDS and that played really well and the sound was great. I should have got it fixed, but the part was $90 and that was with me trying to figure out how to put it in.

trekker, shpuld I invest in the warranty?

Extended warranties on electronics are almost useless. You are usually covered for 1 year on the manufacturer's standard warranty if you buy a good brand. When you buy a store warranty you are betting on several things:

1) that the store will stay in business,
2) that the repair cost is greater than the cost of the warranty,
3) that the store will be able to repair the problem.

If something does go wrong, it is highly unlikely that the store will be able to make the repair. Usually the store will opt to provide you with a newer model of the same brand/size, and that they will deduct an amount from the MSRP of the new model based on a proration formula that usually leans in favor of the store. You would be required to foot the bill for the difference. I would never purchase an extended warranty for a TV.

Ok thank you. Those sales people are always trying to sell those and they always make it sound like you will get a free tv if it goes out. I always wondered how are they going to do that as the original tv is probably not being made anymore. Thank you. I did not want the extra warranty. The boyfriend was leaning towards it. I hate salesmen. we were looking at Best Buy or Walmart where the Samsung is 499