Displays and Projectors : If I watch an upconverted DVD - what is good enough - 720p or 1080p TV?

If I watch an upconverted DVD - what is good enough - 720p or 1080p TV?

I hope my question is clear enough. Thank you for your help.

Last movie I watched: THREE MEN AND A BABY (Leonard Nimoy? Really?)

Re: If I watch an upconverted DVD - what is good enough - 720p or 1080p TV?

well, 720 would be "good enough"
but 1080 would be "better". but it's going to be 1080I I think.
and of course it also depends on how far away you sit, how large the screen is, the quality of the TV, and the quality of the DVD that is being upconverted.
there are no simple answers anymore.
I think you would probally not complain if, all those factors acceptable, that it was only 720

Re: If I watch an upconverted DVD - what is good enough - 720p or 1080p TV?

It also depends on how well the DVD player's upconverter works. Some are far better than others. The $75 samsung upconverting player is basically just a scaler with very little interpolation in it's engine which means it'll make the SD-DVD picture fit on an HD TV but it'll look like crap, like digital zoom on your camera. I have an Oppo which makes nothing but upcon players, it uses scalers and interpolation algorythms and all kinds of goodies pack in a very sophisticated ASIC and the picture is great.
http://www.oppodigital.com/

Not as great a BR setup but I would recommend it to anyone. the TV format is irrelevant, upconverting is the duty of the player. As long as it feeds the HDMI cable you'll be good, although a TRUE 1080P TV is still coming and those 1080P sets out there now can be quirky.

We'll be landing under fire gentlemen. Men will die.