Maurice : "Clive ought to travel. But please dissuade him from Greece."

"Clive ought to travel. But please dissuade him from Greece."

Did Clive's mother know, when she said this to Maurice?

Re: "Clive ought to travel. But please dissuade him from Greece."

I don't think so, She seemed more concerned about political life and social appearance than his son's preferences. She kind of told her reason about it. " It's travel for pleasure..."
So I don't think his mother whom at the time thought her son had a girl, knew anything

I don't think so, She seemed more concerned about political life and social appearance than his son's preferences. She kind of told her reason about it. " It's travel for pleasure..."
So I don't think his mother whom at the time thought her son had a girl, knew anything

No!

Clive was something unspeakable, as in the earlier reference to the "Unspeakable vice of the Greeks." Greece would have been seen as an ancient and third world civilization without much to offer.

Many naive women of that time, especially in the well to do classes, wouldn't have even ventured into the notion of something so vile and certainly not Mrs Durham, who had high aspirations for her promising well to do son.

The working class would have been bolder and more prevalent in their same sex attraction. We know Scudder was comfortable with who he was. Even Maurice was, but he was middle class.

Its such a sad era and the start of 1900's offered so much promise. The established attitudes towards those that were homosexual and not to mention the appalling impending war looming, which was all at the behest of the snobby ruling class again.

Norman! What did you put in my tea?