Blu-ray Disc Releases : Favorite movie not on Blu-Ray?

Favorite movie not on Blu-Ray?

Pick only one, the one film that makes you worry about physical media becoming obsolete before you get an HD disc.

Mine is Wonder Boys (2000).

Re: Favorite movie not on Blu-Ray?

Alice sweet alice 1976

Oxen (1991)

I've got several:

The Abyss
True Lies

(C'mon, James Cameron and Fox, what's the deal???)

Memphis Belle (Mathew Modine, Eric Stolz, et al, about the bomber in WWII on her 25th and final, dangerous mission)
Hooper (Burt Reynolds, Sally Field, Jan Michael Vincent, Brian Keith, et al, about Hollywood movie stunt-men and the havoc their dangerous exploits wreak on their bodies and their relationships)
Pink Floyd-The Wall (Alan Parker's screen adaptation of Pink Floyd's epic landmark album about Floyd lead singer Roger Waters' screwed up life)
Star Trek-The Motion Picture-The Robert Wise Director's Edition

And last but certainly not least, favorite movie INCORRECTLY TRANSFERRED FOR blu-ray:

Raiders of the Lost Ark

I'm not really worried about physical media becoming obsolete, because I think there will always be a "collector's mentality" that will always create a place for it, but I am concerned about the studios' lackadaisical, lazy attitude toward releasing these titles. They could make a lot of money off them!

Star Trek-The Motion Picture-The Robert Wise Director's Edition

Second. If there's one thing keeping me from replacing my Star Trek movie DVDs with Blu-rays, it's that.

But, my choice would be Flight of the Navigator.

That is all.

Can I add two?
Both are kinda obscure, I doubt most have even heard of them, let alone seen.

Miracle Mile(1988): A surreal, love story set in the time frame of one night against the backdrop of a nuclear attack, with a grim ending. A treat of a film and it deserves a release.

After Hours(1985): A Martin Scorsese film, hence it is bound to be better known than the aforementioned Miracle Mile. But compared to his other films, hardly mentioned and talked of. Again a surreal, taking place in one night kind of cinema. Well shot, well enacted and fantastically written.

I have a dream: I want more and more people to see such obscure, yet utterly fascinating features. I have a whole list of such films taking place in one night, occurring in sunny, lush sunlight, strange characters, surreal circumstances etc etc. So, if I ever come into a position where I can afford to produce and distribute older films I'd have a 3 in 1 or 5 in 1 discs released with certain similarities. These gems cannot be lost to time.

To Rishi85

You can add Adventures in Babysitting, Judgement Night and Cohen and Tate as films taking place in one night that deserve a Blu Ray release.

****"Some folks call it a sling blade I call it a kaiser blade hmm hmm!"****

Ghostbusters 2

^Ghostbusters 2 has been out on Blu Ray for a few weeks now...

His Girl Friday (1940)

Chicken run. I love that movie to death. I know there is a French and German version of it but I want a proper release, including the special features from my 2 disc dvd (and a Dutch dub because I grew up with that).

Actually there are more Dreamworks and Aardman movies I still want like Wallace and Gromit, Antz, The prince of Egypt, The road to El Dorado. What's the deal with that?

Oh and The land before time and The Iron Giant. Lot's of animation.

- I just didn't want to be a loser anymore. -

I was going to say "Kill Bill", which I had to buy on DVD because there was no Blu-ray edition. But I see that there now is a Blu-ray.

"David Gilmour Live in Gdansk" is still only on DVD, so there's that.

Kill Bill 1 and 2 were among the first films released on BD, all the way back in 2008.

Music titles often seem to take forever to come to new formats. Hell even the Pink Floyd - PULSE DVD was a late entry, and there's still no sign of The Wall film on Blu.

Considering that "Pulse" was shot on NTSC TV, a Blu-ray release seems pointless. I've seen HD broadcasts of the Gdansk concert, so I know the HD source is there.

I'd still buy a Blu Ray of PULSE just for the audio upgrade. The DVD only had Dolby Digital, even though it was at 640kbps I still think the audio quality would be noticeably better in lossless form.

That is if they choose to offer a LPCM sound stream, of course. No guarantee that will happen. I'm told that some of the tunes that were edited down for space on DVD would be welcome in their full length. Shame they didn't shoot video for "The Sound of Delicate Thunder"; that was the tour to see IMO. Hopefully the people at Das Boot will have more high quality remasters for us in 2016.

Well, they could easily fit both 24 bit LPCM 5.1 and stereo streams on the disc since the video wouldn't require a high bitrate. Sometimes I prefer the sound of the stereo tracks on music BDs, surround streams oftens sound too airy and thin.

There was actually a VHS of Delicate Sound of Thunder, but it's never seen an official DVD release (there's a shady bootleg version), I have no idea if that will ever be reissued. One can only hope!

There is a big difference between something being possible in theory and an actual product for sale though. Technically "Gdansk" could have been released on Blu-ray too, but it wasn't. And that's a shame, as I would love to add a LPCM version of "Wot's... uh the Deal" as performed for the closing credits on "Gdansk" to my music collection. That and "Fat Old Sun" are perhaps the two most underappreciated PF tunes ever. And though I never saw them played by the Floyd in concert, the David Gilmour / Rick Wright versions are must-haves.

So there was an official video of the '86-'87 tour? Maybe that explains why I had always thought that Pulse was the video companion to "The Delicate Sound of Thunder". I knew I saw a video back then (or saw them shooting video at one of the gigs), but since I wasn't collecting videos myself, I had nothing concrete to remind me. Once again I passed up the chance to buy the one thing that became rare and valuable! Story of my life, and my collection of band trinkets.

Ahhh, I can only name one? 😁

I really want The Ref (1994)
-------

I hate it when I’m singing along to a song, and the artist gets the words wrong.

It seems my prayers have been answered by the great Warner in the sky (they must've had a good decade financially):

Burt Reynolds' Hooper is about to be released on blu-ray (April 7, 2015)! Pay Burt those royalty checks! He needs them!

And Memphis Belle is already out! Ordered from Amazon.

Here's one that Warner still hasn't gotten around to:

Innerspace (1987 comedy/action/sci-fi thriller executive produced by Steven Spielberg and directed by Gremlins' Joe Dante, a loose remake of Fantastic Voyage, starring Dennis Quaid, Martin Short and Meg Ryan, about miniaturization; it won ILM, which ingeniously created the inside of the human body, the Oscar for Best Visual Effects)

The Boys Club (1997) Complete with audio commentary track with Dominic Zamprogna (Kyle), Stuart Stone (Brad), Devon Sawa, (Eric), Amy Stewart (Megan), Nicholas Campbell (Kyle's Dad), John Fawcett (Director of the film), and Doug Smith (story), Peter Wellington (screenplay). Also it should have deleted scenes and a HD transfer with 16x9 widescreen and English subtitles and behind the scenes making of feature if one was ever made lol.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118763/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Paper Moon

The one movie without a Blu-ray release which I hope the most will get a Blu-ray release is Lolita(1997).
If I had a second choice it would be Stay(2005)

Cool World (1992). I can also understand why it has not been released on Blu-ray, the animation in the movie, is simply not good enough to be turned in to HD, due to the lack of details in a lot of it.

The Abyss!!! This has to be one of the longest-awaited Blu-rays out there, and is a perfect title for a high-def setup. I wish I knew what the hold-up was.

Fire In The Sky. One of my favourite alien movies. Not on Blu-ray

The Abyss!!! This has to be one of the longest-awaited Blu-rays out there, and is a perfect title for a high-def setup. I wish I knew what the hold-up was.

The question is if it got a Blu-ray release, if people only get the theatrical version and not the Extended Cut.
The movie companies just love to give people only the theatrical versions of elder movies, instead of their later created extended versions.

20th Century Fox is usually one of the better studios at releasing BDs with either both versions or the definitive version of most films with multiple versions, so it should be safe from that nonsense. Paramount is the worst at that sort of thing, they recently released Sliver on BD in Australia and it's the R-rated version, and EVERY previous release of that film was uncut.

It's a good question. I got a Blu-ray copy of Tombstone... it doesn't have the more complete, director's cut. If my Chinese region free DVD player hadn't nearly killed me with a short circuit, it would be fine... but it did, and the Region 2 DC version DVD can no longer be played. Why movies that are this old need to have a region coding, I still don't know.

Why Blu-rays, with all that space, can't give us all the goodies up front...? Oh, yeah; marketing and money.

fletch: The Abyss: Maybe, and I'm guessing here, the hold-up is the visual-FX (of the NTIs' tidal waves at the end, etc.) of the Special Edition of The Abyss were NOT done in high-definition, but only standard-definition, since, to my knowledge, The Abyss-Special Edition was not released to cinemas, only laserdisc and VHS, before DVD came along. If this is the case, naturally, it would look rather jarring cutting from HD dialogue and scenes from the theatrical cut of The Abyss to SD scenes from the Special Edition on blu-ray, so the FX, if they're not in cinema-quality 4k or even 1080p HD, need to be completely re-done, a costly proposition for Fox, so they're taking their time, saving up the money.

The Abyss, with its '80s cold-war paranoia, would appear dated today, but its theme of peaceful coexistence is timeless, and there would certainly be money in a "digital 4k cinema" re-release of The Abyss-Special Edition today in addition to a blu-ray release! Those tidal waves would look AWESOME on the big screen!

I'm fairly sure all the FX in The Abyss were done during the production process, then the film was shortened for theatrical release. James Cameron has a long track record of being made to cut stuff to get his films short enough for theatrical release, but he never adds sub-par material after the fact for the sake of extending the film. In the case of The Abyss, Terminator 2 and Aliens the extended versions are the realization of his original vision.

But then we also have to remember that the film has never even had an anamorphic DVD release, all existing versions are 4:3 letterbox taken from the old Laserdisc masters. So the entire film will need to be telecined all over again.

Actually one example of SD FX sticking out like dogs balls is the altered sculpture in Devil's Advocate. The alteration was done in SD for VHS release, so on the Blu Ray version it looks terrible.

But then we also have to remember that the film has never even had an anamorphic DVD release, all existing versions are 4:3 letterbox taken from the old Laserdisc masters. So the entire film will need to be telecined all over again.

If its The Abyss you mean, then they have done a HD remastering of the Theatrical version for HDTV use. I have it, its in 1080i with 5.1 audio.
The remastering they did with that one actually looks very good, its superior to any release they have done of it before that HDTV version.

But there is room for improvements for it though, if they decide to take the step further and release it on Blu-ray.

I have no interest in the theatrical cut to be honest. It's an exercise in pointlessness. The ending loses all sense of gravitas and is essentially reduced to a silly mind-game. Without the alien tidal waves as a threat it just feels like a big buildup towards nothing of any significance.

The original 1976 Bad News Bears starring Walter Mathau and Tatum O'Neil. John Alonzo's natural light cinematography gives the movie a really raw feel.

It seems my wish list is down to The Abyss and True Lies.

Pink Floyd-The Wall

It's a good-looking film with some very inventive cinematography. I particularly love the opening where Pink's father in WWII is lit only by a lantern. The film merits the high-definition visual clarity and color depth of blu-ray.

The theatrical versions of the Star Wars Trilogy.
If that does not count, then I am still waiting for The Prince of Egypt.

"Topside, this is papa bear. The breezies are in the hold. Cue the balloons."

I can confirm that the visual effects for the Director's Cut of The Abyss were finished to HD standards.

After the theatrical run, there was a limited run of the Director's Cut in selected theatres. I saw both versions in theatres. The Director's Cut is far superior in my opinion, and it's a shame most people who went to the movies to see it didn't see the superior version. What a shame!

Idiocracy (2006)

my absolute favorite movie of all time is a B rated really so bad its good movie and it is 1981's SATURDAY THE 14TH starring:RICHARD BENJAMIN....I desperately want this movie so bad to come out on BLURAY....please.

1981's SATURDAY THE 14TH.

Scream Factory are putting that film out on Blu-ray.

Yes, this is really me.

Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy (1996)

Track of the Moonbeast

Yes, this is really me.

The Field

Ruthless People with Danny Devito, one of the funniest comedies of the 80s.

The Nun's Story