Formats : Are my parents the only ones?

Are my parents the only ones?

I can't count how many times I have had to correct my parents when they call my blu rays tapes. I keep having to tell them vhs tapes when out a while ago and it would be more accurate to call them discs. Am I the only person with parents who still call dvds/blu rays tapes?

Re: Are my parents the only ones?

As long as they're not pretending to be experts on the subject, give them a break. If your parents are mostly non-technical and grew up in an era when gramophone records were the only disk-based medium, it probably took a lot for them to learn about "tapes".

Of course you can have hours of fun by asking them to rewind the DVD... :D

Nope, my parents call them tapes too. If your parents are paying to keep a roof over your head, as Speed said, cut them some slack.

No, I hear people do it all the time. The worst is when I'm recording something and people say I am "taping". Very irritating.

The worst is when I'm recording something and people say I am "taping". Very irritating.

Oh my god. What. Ass. Holes.

Anyone here mentions Hotel California dies before the first line clears his lips.

I gotta go along with this. I have something in dvr I'm watching and I say it's something I "taped". What's the BFD? I should say I'm watching something I dvr'd? How is that better?

The Grammys, Billboards and many more of these trophy shows still call it 'Album' of the Year. Someone should start a letter-writing campaign!

oops, sorry...I mean a twitter rant.

Lmao! I still say taped when I mean DVR'ed.

haha, I have the same problem as you, just in a different way.

My mom calls gigabits jiggabites

-----------------------------------------------
JURASSIC WORLD. The park is open, July 2015.

Actually the "jig" pronunciation is also correct, if not popular.

Well, my school teachers (especially the more "senior" ones) used to call VHS tapes "films", right up to the time I graduated in 2002. Despite the district having phased out 8/16mm films by about 1993 or '94. (35mm still filmstrips held on for a good while longer.)

Yes, and my grandmother still calls her audio CDs "records".

Old habits are hard to break.

Lighten Up...

I still call my music DVDs videos for some reason. Probably because of the short running time on most of them.

They were probably referring to the content not the medium. As in, "Casablanca is a classic film." I use film interchangeably with movie. I call the physical item of a VHS tape a tape and a DVD a DVD. However, I still use the word film.

As I mentioned in my post above I call any commercially made compilation of music an "album," as it's an album of songs, right? Yet I refer to the physical items by the names record album, cassette, CD, and MP3 or digital album. What else should you call a grouping of music put out that's digital other than an "album," which just happens to be digital? What do you call it if it's on MP3/digital? I'm not being sarcastic; I really don't know.

"There is nothing in the dark that isn't there when the lights are on." - Rod Serling

They were probably referring to the content not the medium. As in, "Casablanca is a classic film." I use film interchangeably with movie. I call the physical item of a VHS tape a tape and a DVD a DVD. However, I still use the word film.

Maybe (some were telecine copies of the old films), but many of these teachers (especially in my earlier school years) were old enough to have been there when 16mm movie and 35mm filmstrip were the dominant formats in the district. So it very well could have been force of habit.

I still call my PDA and CDs "tapes", coming down off of 20+ years of using cassettes. Old habits die hard.

Lighten Up...

I still call any form of commercially made musical compilations "albums." Yet, I don't say I'm "taping" a show anymore; I say "recording," probably because I always have to hit "record" to do so. I'm in my late 40s. How old are your parents?

Is it proper to say "typing" anymore or what term should be used?

Also, even for my age I went almost a lifetime with nothing but television you had to watch through commercials. No skipping nor backing up nor taping even then. I was in high school before VCRs became ubiquitous and we could tape. Now, children like my own young son have technology changing at an amazing rate. He's had more forms of it in his ten short years than I had until I was probably in my early thirties. We get frustrated now with always having to change so much and buy so much just to get to watch TV or listen to music. It's an entirely different world.

"There is nothing in the dark that isn't there when the lights are on." - Rod Serling

I guess since they are both over fifty, I could understand now that I think about it

Is it proper to say "typing" anymore or what term should be used?

My high-school typing teacher stressed (insisted) that you absolutely MUST call it keyboarding or the more annoying keying or you'll get docked points for each infraction.

Of course calling it keyboarding is lame and everybody just called it typing regardless. The teacher also got in really hot water wiith the principal over docking students' points for saying typing, as if it really mattered.

Lighten Up...

Tht's hilarious! If there's one thing more antiquated than the typewriter, it's a "board of keys" a la the piano-forte.

I remember when certain kids and parents would call Nintendo games tapes instead of cartridges. It was so common that even though I knew it was wrong I would sometimes call them that too.

--
You have many question, Mr Sparkle. I send you premium -- answer question, hundred percent!

While my wife and I (both 48) do have a few "Blu Rays", I may be guilty of saying something is "taping" in another room. Personally, I'd say it comes from growing up with a VCR around and you couldn't disturb what was being recorded.

Somewhat related, but I remember calling a friend at this company we used to work at. It must have been around 1995 and I asked the (older) person at reception if their place (called Epsilon) was on the World Wide Web. She goes (in her best old lady voice)...

"Why yes we do! It's H T T P, colon, backslash, backslash, E, P, S, I, L, O, N, dot com."