Formats : Are you addicted to collecting movies?

Are you addicted to collecting movies?

I am. When I first started collecting DVDs, I only purchased movies I would watch several times. Now, most of my purchases comprise of blind buys. Most of them sit on a shelf for months. I have some movies I bought over a year ago and still haven't watched. I'll also buy sequels I don't really like just for the sake of completing a series.

Re: Are you addicted to collecting movies?

This actually dovetails nicely with a discussion we're having on the DVD vs Blu-Ray thread elsewhere on this forum, in which my esteemed fellow forum member, foebane72, posted the following:

MikeJonas, why do you keep advocating streams and downloads in favour of physical formats? THE INFRASTRUCTURE SIMPLY ISN'T THERE, and won't be for at least 10 years.

What is it you hate so much about physical formats anyway?

*THIS* is why I'm in favor of streams and downloads.

The infrastructure "isn't there"? I guess there are 25 million Netflix subscribers (and millions of Hulu subscribers, and countless downloaders, both legal and otherwise) who would disagree. I guess the fact that the growth of streaming is outpacing Blu-ray doesn't count for anything.

Look, there'll always be room for physical formats, for serious collectors, for people looking to buy movies they really want, for people who don't have the said infrastructure.

But as technology marches on, and as many people in the world struggle with finances and hunger for entertainment, we NEED to outgrow the mindset of HeatFanSince2010 up there. I own about 300 DVDs, many of which are still sealed in package and many more which have just been viewed once or twice. I own about 150 Blu-rays, and likewise, many are unopened, many viewed only a couple of times since purchase. Few are of any significant resale value. Both collections take up a huge chunk of wall shelving.

We don't all have to be self-appointed archivists, amassing ridiculously large collections at great expense, blindly buying anything that comes out just so we can have it sitting on the shelf "just in case," gathering dust. For the movies we care to watch but shouldn't really care to own, we ought to start turning to streaming and downloading. It's more affordable, and the catalogs are deep; they may not have the latest, they definitely don't have it all, but it's still a bigger collection than most of us can accumulate, with titles that can be hard to find at rental or retail, and there's always something in there that you'll enjoy. And it takes up much less space. Sure, I have a few hundred movies on disc, but I can go weeks before pulling anything out of that shelf; with my connected TV, Netflix, and a cheap PC outfitted with a few terabytes of hard drives as a media server, I have thousands upon thousands of titles literally at my fingertips.

I'm not saying we should stop buying physical media--I know I won't. But we can all choose to be more selective with our purchases, and choose only the ones we know will get some mileage on our players, only the ones that really *need* to be seen in 30 megabit 1080p video. Stop blind buying. Stop buying movies that you may have liked in the theater but don't see yourself watching multiple times in the foreseeable future.

My first DVD purchase was when I was 12. I bought Never Say Never Again. I remember being thrilled at owning that movie a James Bond movie I hadn't even heard of. It was a magical experience watching that first disc. Now over 10 years later I definitely own a lot of DVDs and blu rays. My movie buying became worse after I quit smoking cigarettes. I bought way too many blue ray too fast and now I have almost 400 of them. Sometimes I look at my shelf with pride other times with shame. At least I know I have an addictive personality and I plan on changing myself to be a better person this year. I've bought about 20 this year so far and for me that's already a success.

Nope. Been there, done that. I'm now addicted to physical exercise. It's healthy, and it's free.

I still enjoy WATCHING movies, however, and do notice the improvement in picture quality blu-ray provides!

Collecting movies is an addiction as expensive and unhealthy as any other, I suppose, if done more than in moderation, to what your budget can afford, and your addiction is what the movie studios are counting on. If you're collecting even crap sequels simply because you've got to have the whole film series, I think you need to find a way to channel that obsessive-compulsive nature into something that will actually do you some good, like exercise, or a detail-oriented job that requires that obsessive-compulsive nature and makes you money.

I think we're all getting wise to the multiple dipping of our wallets.

Thank you for answering my question, MikeJ... I think.

As for my DVD/Blu purchases, they were perfectly reasonable and of films I'd rented or seen in the cinema and liked a lot, but now they've plummeted to nearly zero as I am moving to physical rentals, with LoveFilm, etc.

I did spend rather a lot on them, but in recent years that's been replacing perfectly good DVDs with Blus, as I realised that for some of the older films I've got, it's really not necessary - so I halted all that.

I will make certain exceptions, though - I see the Hobbit is coming out in a few days, and the day Spirited Away comes out on Blu, I'll be there - to rent at least.

MikeJ, when I said about "infrastructure", I meant more along the lines of bandwidth - if even a quarter of internet users downloaded movies in one go, then it would be severely strained, I would imagine - I don't know that much about this sort of thing. But I do know that YouTube users struggled in its early days, because of lack of bandwidth.

www.foebane.co.uk

Actually I was much more liberal with my purchases when I first got into DVD. Now I'm picky and try to stick with things I'll really watch again.

Up until 2011, I owned about 1,100 DVDs (unfortunatly a lot of trashy action flicks I grew up with, considering I started buying when I was a teenager) and in the realm of 50 Blu-Ray discs. Then Tropical Storm Lee (and my own disorganization hit), so I only have about 30-or-so Blu-Ray discs and a hundred or so badly-damaged DVD's left due to flood damage ruining 90% of my things.

At this point, I'm not as addicted to buying movies as I once was, simply because I have so many to replace and I'm feeling overwhlemed.

My goal is to save up and start upgrading the essential movies that I lost by the holidays, and slowly build up a Blu-Ray collection.

Hopefully in a year or two I'll be addicted again and have replaced at least 100 of the essential movies I lost.

And FURTHERMORE, this is my signature! SERIOUSLY! Did you think I was still talking about my point?

YES!
I am a movie fan.
I started collecting with Laserdiscs and have not stopped.
Lasers were the first format to use letterboxing and the were at broadcast spec, rather than the 420 lines of VHS. Of course lasers were expensive so I was limited in what I could afford to buy.
DVD opened things up for me even thought I ended up re-buying a lot of my favorite titles, but the collection felt more "complete".
Now I am moving to BD but I am limiting my re-purchases to the big widescreen classics I love so much.

Most of my collection is older movies '1930's - 1980's. Only Pixar and Disney titles are newer films.

I enjoy collecting movies and searching through my collection for films to watch again. Holidays have special films, and moods generally determine what I watch.

Streaming is the future - but the future is not here yet. What I enjoy now about streaming is the documentaries and odd specialty films. As a matter of fact I have found three of my favorite film on streaming (NETFLIX) that were never released on DVD.

... but collecting is in my nature. As I kid I collected LPs of Film Scores, now I get to buy copies of the real FILMS! COOL.

Ric

I am, I get a lot of praise or criticism for it. It's an expensive hobby and I do need to take a break considering I'm getting married and saving up for a house. But I own 1400 DVD's, 500 blu rays and 28 special collector's editions. I'm a huge film fan, so it's hard to stop. But I do need to watch a couple titles I haven't seen yet like I just bought Big Trouble in Little China, but I heard great things about it.

http://www.facebook.com/kbautz1

Hi. My name is Greg Barnes and I'm an addict. I own far too many movies. I own at least 300 DVDs, at least fifty HD DVDs and about seventy Blu-rays. While that's not as many as a lot of people have, it's far more than I should have considering a good portion of them have never been opened. Many of them I got very cheaply [$3] at Big Lots, but some I paid $29.99 or more for for some foreign or indie releases. I really planned to watch them all, but there just isn't enough time in the day, especially considering my other addiction, which is going to the movies. Add to that all the streaming content that's available on Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime Instant Video, not to mention the premium cable channels that run 24/7, my brain is swimming in content.

I will say that since the beginning of 2013, I haven't bought many movies because I realize how much it's costing me and now take into consideration my past track record for not actually sitting down and watching the stuff once I buy it.

P.S. My worst habit is replacing unopened DVD's with Blu-rays that are still unopened. Granted, I only do this when the prices are in the $9.99 range. Also, I am a completist and I (not in every case, though) like to own the sequels to a film, reboots notwithstanding.

I am also addicted to collecting movies, because I will actually pay more to ship from overseas to my place. I have done this for the German box set of the complete series of 21 Jump Street for all of the original music, the German complete series of ALF and the Baywatch series, so far I have seasons 1-6 and I am hoping to get seasons 7-11(the last 2 being Baywatch Hawaii) and then the 2 seasons of Baywatch Nights. An additional note, I already own the R1 complete series of 21 Jump Street and Alf. I will also buy tapes of movies and tv shows that have not been released on dvd yet, like the vhs copy of the Director's cut of SCREAM(I know it is available to own internationally), half of the Babysitter's Club series, I am still missing 4 or 5 episodes.

Wow, it's always odd when I stumble across something I wrote years ago and forgot about.

Anyway, since I wrote my first comment back in May of 2013, I went through a phase where I mostly stopped buying movies. I did kinda pick up again when I discovered the Blu-ray.com site because they have a lot of good deals. I tend to buy more on iTunes when they have a good deal or if it's something I can't find at a reasonable prize on Amazon.

I still believe in having complete sets, but I haven't finished purchasing all the Terminator, Jason Bourne, Mission Impossible series, etc.

Wouldn't say addicted, but sure, I like getting DVDs. Started out with just getting movies every now and then. Moved up to getting a couple movies every paycheck. Once Show DVDs started getting cheaper I kinda made the switch from movies to shows. Now when I can afford (not very often lately) them it's strictly shows, and the only movies i get is out of the $3 used bin.

Bobby: "You don't shoot Bambi, jacka$$. You shoot Bambi's mother."

The movie studio executives LOVE you guys! Keep breaking out those wallets, making those guys richer.

I'm sure there are enough people doing illegal downloads/files shares out there that the proffits aren't as hight as you think.

I just like having real physical copies of the shows/movies I like to watch alot. That way if my getting older than dirt computer crashes I don't loose everything I've downloaded. When it comes to some movies and shows, Youtube is a good option if I only wanna watch something once or twice, without having to buy it.

Bobby: "You don't shoot Bambi, jacka$$. You shoot Bambi's mother."

The movie studio executives LOVE you guys! Keep breaking out those wallets, making those guys richer.

You know what the movie studio executives LOVE even more? All the idiots ready to throw in the towel on physical media so they'll once again have total control of the content they provide.

At least when you purchase a DVD or Blu-Ray, you "own" it, in the sense that it will always be available to you to watch when you choose to. You also have the option of giving it away to someone, or re-selling it either for a profit if it becomes a collectible, or to get back some portion of your purchase price. None of these apply to streams that you buy or rent.

Well then, I guess you're just not up-to-date if your cell phone doesn't make toast!

"You know what the movie studio executives LOVE even more? All the idiots ready to throw in the towel on physical media so they'll once again have total control of the content they provide.

At least when you purchase a DVD or Blu-Ray, you "own" it, in the sense that it will always be available to you to watch when you choose to. You also have the option of giving it away to someone, or re-selling it either for a profit if it becomes a collectible, or to get back some portion of your purchase price. None of these apply to streams that you buy or rent."

Agreed, Sandoz, and that's why I for one am not paying for downloads. I typically rent new releases at Redbox for $1 per movie. If I LIKE the movie, I'll buy it on blu-ray. If not, no more money spent.

You know what the movie studio executives LOVE even more? All the idiots ready to throw in the towel on physical media so they'll once again have total control of the content they provide.

I think that a bit like for music, movie studio executives were forced toward streaming, I think most would gladly go back in around of 2004 era of the peak of DVD sales before the generalization of download and streaming.

In this context; yes. But I don't see it as a bad thing because I rate the films, and review (although I haven't been to good at it lately) them...

Films are a manifestation of a hive mind

I'm an addict. An addicted addict. I bought tv series, movies I liked and had seen before. Then I started blind buying, which believe me over the years, I have only thrown out two. Then I bought a blu-ray player, but as long as the blu rays play regular dvds, I won't be replacing most of them (only ones i think i would like in blu ray. For instance, I would have loved to have had Sons of Anarchy in blu ray, but since I started collecting in regular format...i will keep buying in regular format. If I see a blu ray that I think will work for me, I get it. A few times I have gotten lucky and gotten a combo pack when a single regular was not available.

My problem is space. What I plan on doing (I have over 1,000 movies and tv series....[hangs head in shame]) is buying cd jewel cases and making my own cover sheets because i am being taken over by DVDs all over the place. Any empty spot I can find where a dvd pile will fit, I will put it there. I have two rooms, so shelving is not an option....I used to have them nicely placed in alphabetical order so when i wanted to watch a movie i just went to the shelf and pulled it out...but now, it's a project to find movies and even if i'm looking for a specific movie, i usually pull others out (I now have three 20 high TO WATCH piles.)

I am ashamed in front of people, but when i'm alone, i am not. does this make me helpless.....?

People laugh because they say if i ever died, i'd be found under piles and piles of dvds...

Swing away, Merrill....Merrill, swing away...

I'm addicted and purchase blindly alot. However, the blind purchases usually feature actors that I like (Gregory Peck, Anthony Quinn, etc...).

Some of the blind-buys are poor choices, but I keep them in the collection anyway. Although I did give the 'Our Man Flint' series to a friend because I just didn't like it.

Yes and no. I'm more addicted to finding a good, decent or interesting movie at a nice bargain nowadays than I am to having the biggest and best collection. I'm a sucker for $5 and $3 DVDs. I've slowed down in the past year once I realized that I was kind of depressed for the better part of a decade and was trying to subconsciously fill a hole that I could never fill.

Space is always an issue. I laugh at those who have 300 DVDs and think they have it bad. I have about 1200 DVDs + about 300 VHS (for shame!). And that's not even mentioning my collection of 1300+ CDs. Every couple of years I'll sell a chunk of the collection off or donate it to Goodwill, but inevitably the collection always grows back.

An addiction, in short, is when something you ingest or do is interfering badly with your life.
In that case I'm not an addict. But I'm compulsive but descriptions aside... As long as it doesn't interfere with feeding your kids or paying the rent. I don't see a problem, except maybe space for putting them. And that's a problem I'm facing right now, and having to use a software to see where is what. But I'm not Hoarding yet.

It is a hobby, and for sure we can select other ways to use our time. I think the fact that we seen some of those movies can improve ourselves culturally.

I think the hardest for a movie collectors is when you buy on special 15 movies in one time. Some will in fact remains unopened. And that's the sad part. Why buying something that you won't use. But it is there when you needed... And at that low price it is the same as renting it or streaming it.

But I found an exception : wine, if you buy 15 bottles in one time, they will all get open within the year... Sadly wine doesn't age in my house.

Cheers!
http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Numerobix

Yes, I have an addiction...to buying movies. I bought 8 today. I have hundreds of dvds/blu rays. I do lots of blind buys and buy classics, silents, foreign, animated, and blockbusters. Yes, I own Transformers and Twilight as well as Godfather, Citizen Kane, Gone with the Wind, Metropolis, Wings, Late Spring, Psycho, Taxi Driver....I could go on all day!

Seriously, you gotta rent them first, see how they are and then buy them?

That's not a bright addiction there. I mean, say you watch the DVDs and don't like them?

Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

I always start collecting Midnite Movies or Soul Cinema or something. Then I ask myself "what am I collecting these for?"

So why don't you try only collecting films that you do like?

Well then, I guess you're just not up-to-date if your cell phone doesn't make toast!

Agreed, Sandoz. Buying movies, even movies that you don't like, or don't know if you're going to like because you've never seen them, just out of sheer boredom or because you have a compulsion to shop and buy something, anything, is stupid, akin to gambling, drugs, alcohol or hookers, any unhealthy addiction. If any of you want my advice, save your money, for more useful things, like living expenses, minor emergencies like car breaking down, or health. Rent a movie first, then, if you like, buy. Meanwhile, if you're an obsessive type, that's OK, just channel that obsession into something that yields a positive result, that produces something positive, like exercise and diet for health and work for money or the personal satisfaction of helping others.

I think that, to a certain extant, most people have a trace of the obsessive-compulsive trait within them, and anyone who calls themselves a "collector" (of whatever they choose to collect) seems especially prone to it.

But as that previous person now regrets buying all those Midnight Movie series' discs, at least with dvds he has the option of re-selling them and getting back some of the money he spent on them. I feel sorry for the OC collectors who decide to amass a collection of films on streaming video these days; if they have a change of heart and decide to quit collecting, they'll be nothing they can do with all those purchases except erase them off their hard drives. No recoup for them on investing in a collection at all.

Yes, i definitely am addicted. 🎥

I kinda am. I mean, I will never get into money problems or something because of it but I don't save much anymore. So I have to take it down a notch.
I own about 1200 blu-rays and over 2000 dvd's. and that includes about 300 or so expensive or rare boxsets, special editions, ...
But I like it.

- I just didn't want to be a loser anymore. -

I had a vinyl (and a smaller CD) collecting 'issue' from age 15 to 30-ish. It came to about 8000 items. At the time, I think I was self deluded into thinking I could keep up with the DJs who of course got most records as free promos and could earn the bucks using them to earn money! Of course I listened to A LOT of music, but in the end I never listened to most of them more than couple of times, and some never. They took massive amounts of costs (every time I moved cost a small fortune in removal or temporary storage: those self storage places make A FORTUNE these days, many storing 'stuff' average income people never use!).

I realised it cost me a lot more than my hard earned money, and partially my sanity; including less socialising, less travel, and less life experiences generally, as I spent too much of limited resources on the accumulatation of 'products'. On the money front, it has most importantly meant I have less savings. Savings are IMPORTANT. Want to buy a home rather than pay the rent forever on someone else's property? One has to save the thousands for that mortgage deposit (and then again, if wanting to buy a place to raise a family in). I should point out here that here in the UK the cost of property in the southeast is hundreds of thousands into 1+ million in London for a bulk standard small house (most in London will now NEVER own even a studio flat, with more renting until death). Want to have kids, and give them a reasonable standard of living and a great education? Better get saving. Want to retire one day on a reasonable pension? Better get saving. And on and on ...

Buying too much of that crap in those years meant I'm YEARS behind most others my age. I'm just a classic example of over consuming when I shouldn't have.

I currently earn an ok salary, but unless you're earning VERY good money, trust me, your money is better spent (and saved) on things that are more important.

Put it this way. Do you really think all the movie executives that make all these films even have huge movie collections themselves? No, they spend their resources on private education for their kids, buying a decent home (or two!), retirement saving (hence they can do so at a younger age), investments in unit trusts (less risk than individual stock ownership), and generally other 'stuff' that is more important and/or will increase in value, and is not worthless like most 'consumables' are.

One makes ones own bed in the decisions one makes; so it's up to oneself to choose wisely, as you're the only one that gets to lie in the bed one ends up making for oneself.

Yeah. I ended up with so many movies I couldn't keep track of what I have anymore so I digitized everything and made an app to keep track of everything. http://i.imgur.com/jv5wzMn.png

movie DVDs and music CDs too

Yes. I've gotten to the point if I buy a movie, I try to buy the blu-ray/DVD combo pack. I don't have a blu ray, but I intend to in the future.

Yes, but not as much as I used to. I never buy digital, though.

TV series? Yes.

I love having my own copy of my favorite TV series in a box set so I can re-watch whenever I want.

Yep.

You've seen Guy Standeven in something since the man was in everything.

http://movie-dude.co.uk/Guy%20Standeven.htm