Formats : Sound on Blu-rays

Sound on Blu-rays

Why is the sound on Blu-rays and DVDs always so low? Even through good quality headphones I end having to turn the sound nearly all the way up, and it's still low. Are these things really being this cheaply made? And I'm not just talking about cheap discs. It's the same with releases from high-end companies like Synapse, Blue Underground, Criterion and Arrow.

Re: Sound on Blu-rays

I suspect recent Blu-rays and Dvds have their sound encoded for multi-channel speakers and not for stereo . I have the same problem , because there are too many people in the house using power for computers plus other electronic devices , and the fuse breakers trip ! So no extra power-hungry multi-speaker systems allowed . I have a decent uhd tv with good stereo speakers , but some new Blurays , you have to turn the volume right up !

I don't have anything fancy. I'm the only one in the house and I don't even have circuit breakers.

That's the benefit of having an A/V receiver and use that one to adjust the volume.
Sometimes you are even forced to go in to their advanced set up for each audio channel, because something like the volume on the Center is to low in some movies.
For some reason with something like action movies, they just love to put soft low audio on the Center and extremely loud audio on front L & R, which is pretty irritating.

Thanks for the info on the multi-channel system , Persen1 !

It's because they're mixed with high dynamic range for a more realistic sound field. In real life an explosion or gunshot is loud as hell so suppressing those sounds for the sake of keeping everything at a consistent level would be unconvincing. If it worries you that much, try looking in the audio settings on your TV and/or blu-ray player because there should be some sort of dynamic range control which will compress the audio and make the dialogue louder.

I have tried changing settings on my TV and it never changes anything. The sound is just bad. I don't think the Blu-ray player has any settings that can be changed. Nothing is mentioned in the manual. It's a cheap one. It is also not connected properly - the cable company messed with it last time I had cable hooked up and changed all the connections. When I want to use the Blu-ray I have to disconnect the cable box to connect the player.

It's not your player that's the issue. Movies are mastered quieter than TV for reasons of better accuracy. You'd just need to crank up the volume to compensate.

Like commentaries? http://www.ratethatcommentary.com/

TV sound quality is terrible too.

What do you mean not hooked up properly? It's one cable. If you're not using HDMI then you might as well just watch DVDs.

It is an HDMI cable. The cable guy unplugged the HDMI cable and used it to connect the cable box to the TV, instead of using RCA jacks like was done before. The TV only has one HDMI port, so if I want to use the Blu-ray player I have to unplug the HDMI cable from the cable box and plug it back into the player. When I had cable TV hooked up previously, it was not done this way. They used RCA cables to connect the cable box and didn't have to use any of my cables. I did inquire at the head office as to why it was done this way, but they said it was not their responsibility to mess with customers' Blu-ray players. I disagreed, since the guy from there is the one who disconnected my player and used my cable to hook up their cable box. An argument ensued and I was threatened with the police being called to have me removed from the building. So I decided to leave it the way it is or I wouldn't be able to have anything.

I probably am not getting the full benefit of Blu-rays anyway, since my TV is a first generation Sony Bravia. I paid $2000 for it and I'm sure it was the latest and greatest at the time, but that was in 2003 or 2004. HD TVs are much cheaper now and the ones I looked at last summer have more than one HDMI port. No headphone jacks though.

That's a bit ridiculous! If your TV is still working fine and you don't want to upgrade, maybe you could look at investing in a stereo amplifier with HDMI pass-through. Then you can plug both the cable box and BD player into the receiver, which then plugs into the TV. Or you could just get an HDMI switchbox:

http://www.aitech.com/images/hdmiswitch_front.jpg

I didn't really know what to do except just leave it as is. I'm not very knowledgeable with hooking up things I figured I'd better not mess with it. Where would I get one of these things?

You should be able to find them at any electronics store, or if that's not an option try looking on Amazon. All you'll need to do is plug the BD player and cable box into it, then the HDMI output will plug into the TV and you can switch back and forth between the two.

Or you could just buy an A/V receiver with several HDMI inputs and one output for your TV.
You can also get some pretty good ones in the $500 range, such as the Marantz NR1506.
http://www.us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers&SubCatId=0&ProductId=NR1506

Try Monoprice.com for an hdmi switch. I got mine there and it works fine.

But think seriously about investing in a surround receiver. About 200 bucks should get you a basic model.