Screenwriters : why does it seem that amatuers always write horrors

why does it seem that amatuers always write horrors

ive been working on a few ideas, and none are horror they are all different alot of amature film people ive talked to seem to write horror movies, it seems to easy or something idk

according to the time, he could be in one place or... several

Re: why does it seem that amatuers always write horrors

That's (broadly) been my experience too, thaus. I have come to the conclusion, from what such first-timers have said when I chatted with them, that many feel it's a genre that's easier to make a splash in (and so many give Leigh Whannell and "Saw" as their example and role model), plus they feel that it's an easier genre to grapple with for those who aren't so strong at writing dialogue. (I happen not to agree, but that seems to be a common perception.)

You might very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment.

Re: why does it seem that amatuers always write horrors

I think that it might be overly critical to completely dismiss these first time horror writers as people who haven't the skill to write in other areas. I think that because this tends to be the jumping in point for a lot of first time writers, there is bound to be a lot of crap floating around out there as people get their bearings, but overall, there's bound to be some good scripts come out of this.

It seems that horror and comedy are the two genres most likely have a chance at anything coming from an unestablished, and there are a whole lot of people out there that are not funny. People realize that so they try to stack the deck in their favor and write something from one of these areas. This doesn't mean that a horror script that they wrote is bad. Might just take awhile to find the ones that are worth it.