Sports Films : Best Boxing Movie?

Best Boxing Movie?

I'm thinking Rocky, with special mention to Ragin Bull. What about you guys?

-- Exeunt the Wolf --

Re: Best Boxing Movie?

I would say Raging Bull. That's one of my all time favorite movies.

I think I would have to vote for RAGING BULL as well.

Raging Bull, honorable mention to Field of Dreams.

Million Dollar Baby

I NO

Boxing is one of the great subjects/sub-genres of my favorite genre: the film noir, so for me the best boxing film has got to be Robert Wise's The Set-up (1949). We basically witness the downward trajectory of a washed-up boxer's career over the course of one evening. The atmosphere depicted in this film--that of a lesser arena on the "palookaville" circuit--is totally palpable, and I especially like the denizens the populate this underworld (my favorites are the blind guy who hires somebody to describe the fight to him and the bloodthirsty old wife). Just an all-around perfect film.

More modernly, I've got to go with the direct descendant of The Set-Up--Marty Scorcese's Raging Bull (1980) for the "title" of best boxing movie as well. This film is more epic in scope, the rise and fall of real-life boxer Jake LaMotta that really plays out like a classical tragedy. Moreover, the film is just outright beautiful, with most of the beauty lent to it by way of its period qualities (esp. the use of black and white cinematography).

These would definitely be the two to see...

So this isn't exactly a serious boxing movie, but I love Diggstown anyway. :-)

Sedagive?!!!

It's easy to scoff at Rocky nowadays, because it's been shown so often and it was followed by so many stale sequels and imitations, but it still stands out to me as a wonderful movie.

After that, I'd take The Harder They Fall, starring Humphrey Bogart. He's an ex-boxing reporter that takes a job promoting a huge boxer (Mike Lane) who is an absolute stiff in the ring and it shows how Lane gets exploited every step of the way. Among the former boxers in the movie are Max Baer, Sr., and Jersey Joe Walcott.

I love Fat City when it comes to boxing movies. Raging Bull may be a better film, but I believe Fat City captures the sport of boxing the best; it's a downer with absolutely zero romanticism.

Not near the best, but an entertaining boxing movie is:

GLADIATOR(1992), with Brian Dennehy and Cuba Gooding Jr.

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading". -Henny Youngmam

The Harder They Fall was Bogie's last movie, if I'm not mistaken; a wasted performance in my opinion. He really was the only highlight of the movie (one of the only reasons I sought it out myself)--without him I feel the film is a fairly heavy-handed indictment of the seedier side of the sport, and is perhaps a bit too didactic in the end--again, I would cite The Set-Up as the superior film on nearly the exact same subject matter.
_____
Suddenly, thud! My mind tottered like a jinkyboard in a windstorm...

Teen Wolf 2..

Raging Bull and Ali.

http://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=463551P01
Nothing better than good cheap comics!

Cinderella Man is my fave. Some of the other movies mentioned wernt boxing movies especially Field of Dreams.

Rocky

Thoroughly enjoyed 'The Power of One'

Rocky, Raging Bull... yeah, these two are probably the best (personally I prefer Rocky, but I recognize Raging Bull as a great piece of cinema).

Rocky

Formally known as Coilector

ricky

Rocky II (1979)

"WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM???!!!!!"

Raging Bull
Fat City
Body and Soul (the original)

"To tell sweet lies
one last time
and say goodnight"

Undefeated was decent

just because I can't spell does'nt mean your right

The champ
Somebody up there likes me

yep, rocky. i didnt like million dollar baby. it tricked me! at first i was thinking, "oh good, we got a nice, kick ass boxing movie" and then halfway through BAM! it sucked after that! its like they used the boxing angle to draw you into the other story.

I'm going to say Rocky because it was class

Personally, I'd have to say Raging Bull, but I'm surprised no one here has mentioned Somebody up there likes me.

The French haven't the nature for war. They'd rather eat and make love with their faces than fight.

i guess i ould say first rocky then the raging bull thats my favorite one and then i would follow it with cinderella man ,gladiator with cuba good jr ,and diggstown with louis gosset jr

Raging Bull

"Hello, Ben. Welcome back to the land of the living" - John Locke

I choose Raging Bull by miles

David Kast
"Winners go home and fu*k the prom queen"

Raging Bull

Oh spiffing. Absolutely spiffing. Well done. Two dead, twenty-five to go.
-Basil Fawlty

Raging Bull

TEAM DESCHANEL

Cinderalla Man, no doubt.

There is a man...he travels fast...he has purpose...he brings violence and destruction.

Rocky

Rocky is the legend for sure, but for more modern films I can give Undisputed series as good examples. Yuri Boyka rocks! :D I have boxing film scenes and real boxing matches on my personal blog, you can check it out http://scoreshighlights.blogspot.com/

I'm shocked that no one has mentioned one of the most appreciated boxing movies of all time (I'm glad somebody mentioned "Body And Soul" (1947), but that's only close to the top, not the winner, in my book).

"Somebody Up There Likes Me" (1956)

Everything about that film was first class. Robert Wise directed it. It was the movie that made Paul Newman a star. It was the life story of Rocky Graziano, through the point where be became middleweight champion of the world. Rocky's life had been filled with drama. It made a great movie. The three fights with Tony Zale (which is a classic match-up series) are the centerpieces of the movie, and the action is really good, very intense. It so impressed me when I saw this when I was 7 or 8 (1963 or 1964), I compare all movies to that one. I have only found one picture that I thought was better (it was an earlier movie, from 1941), and no boxing movie can cover it.

Sylvester Stallone has admitted that much of the inspiration for his "Rocky" film came from this movie.

Another movie that I enjoyed as I was growing up was "Gentleman Jim" (1942), about Jim Corbett, who defeated John L. Sullivan in 1892 to win the heavyweight championship of the world.

There's one other boxing movie, 1951's "Iron Man", with Jeff Chandler, that goes unmentioned but is terrific.

Yes, I like "Rocky" -- it's very good. I like better "Cinderella Man", which I would probably place third, after "Somebody Up There Likes Me" (#1) and "Body And Soul" (#2), with "Iron Man" in 4th position, and "Rocky II" taking the 5th spot.

One final opinion: "Raging Bull" is one of the move overrated movies in history, and in my position is an ugly, self-impressed, boring and off-putting picture, a real miss by Scorsese, in my opinion, regardless of what AMPAS thinks. I think it stinks.

Haha you are the one who thought the world would end in 2011: "Now the Holy Spirit is making a great many things understood, including the very date of Judgment Day, which is May 21, 2011. Yes, the world will end next year." http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0985699/board/nest/174415368?ref_=tt_bd_2

Off-topic conversation, **Please SKIP**. (WAS, Re: Best Boxing Movie?)

What's your point in bringing this here, since it is completely unrelated to the topic of Best Boxing Movie?

Let me address this now, and hopefully, this will satisfy. For everyone else, just jump to the next posting at the level previous to this one, avoiding any further posts about this off-topic matter.

----------------------------
I won't bother going into detail why May 21, 2011 was the beginning of Judgment Day, a period that is not 24 hours in length but is a longer period, consistent with how God often uses the word "day" (and "hour", "year", and "month") to refer to a period of many days or even of many years. I didn't claim that the world would end that day. I made sure to add, in every declaration about God's guarantee that May 21, 2011 was the beginning of Judgment Day, that the world end would be October 21, 2011. You should be complaining about that latter date's declaration, not the former one. It is true, too, that we are living through Judgment Day. You may not realize it, but you are living in a time of no hope for the unsaved. This "day" will definitely end, and with it, the world. Those of us who are saved who are here during this time are not suffering, but are going through the refiner's fire, wherein the flaws in our nature are burned off, producing what God refers to as the silver, absent any dross.

If you reply with the same sort of sniping as the posting to which this is a reply, I will ignore it. Let it end -- these IMDB boards deserve an end to this extraneous discussion.
----------------------------

Usually people go Rocky or Raging Bull. for MMA probably "Warrior". Haven't been many. Some people like Never Back Down 2 http://mmaquotes.blogspot.ca/2013/08/an-angry-mind-is-narrow-mind.html

I really liked Hurricane with Denzel Washington.